Confused about WILD and LD

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
lucidifyme

Confused about WILD and LD

Postby lucidifyme » 25 Nov 2013 01:01

I recently started researching about lucid dreaming and I instantly became fascinated by it. I have a couple questions that I can't find the answer to anywhere though. The first one is, What is the difference between Lucid Dreaming or Waking Lucid Induced Dreaming or DILD or FILD or anything like that? This is really confusing me and my second question is do these different "types" of Lucid Dreaming take you to different levels of LD? If anyone could help that would be greatly appriciated! :D

Goldkoron

Re: Confused about WILD and LD

Postby Goldkoron » 25 Nov 2013 01:32

To better explain it, all dreams are of a different magnitude, which we determine that magnitude by it's vividness. The more vivid a dream, the higher likely chance you can become aware you are dreaming, and it will be an overall better dream, things will look nicer, and and it will last longer. WILD is one of the hardest ways to induce a lucid dream, but it is the most rewarding. Basically doing a WILD is having a lucid dream on your own terms when you want. The WILD method is also nice because the dream you will enter with it with be a very very vivid dream, therefore it will be a better lucid dream in end result, more control, longer, and things are more realistic in it. A DILD is a dream induced lucid dream where you simply become aware in the middle of any dream that you are dreaming, but the vividness of this lucid dream entirely depends on the vividness of the dream you just became aware in.
Do a reality check

lucidifyme

Postby lucidifyme » 25 Nov 2013 04:56

Goldkoron wrote:To better explain it, all dreams are of a different magnitude, which we determine that magnitude by it's vividness. The more vivid a dream, the higher likely chance you can become aware you are dreaming, and it will be an overall better dream, things will look nicer, and and it will last longer. WILD is one of the hardest ways to induce a lucid dream, but it is the most rewarding. Basically doing a WILD is having a lucid dream on your own terms when you want. The WILD method is also nice because the dream you will enter with it with be a very very vivid dream, therefore it will be a better lucid dream in end result, more control, longer, and things are more realistic in it. A DILD is a dream induced lucid dream where you simply become aware in the middle of any dream that you are dreaming, but the vividness of this lucid dream entirely depends on the vividness of the dream you just became aware in.

That actually cleared up a lot. Thank you! One more question I had is what method do you suggest for beginners?

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 25 Nov 2013 05:24

Goldkoron wrote: WILD is one of the hardest ways to induce a lucid dream, but it is the most rewarding. Basically doing a WILD is having a lucid dream on your own terms when you want. The WILD method is also nice because the dream you will enter with it with be a very very vivid dream, therefore it will be a better lucid dream in end result, more control, longer, and things are more realistic in it.

I agree that it is one of most difficult methods, but the method you use doesn't determine how vivid the LD is. Some of my worst LDs were from WILD so unfortunately it's not a panacea.

Goldkoron wrote: A DILD is a dream induced lucid dream where you simply become aware in the middle of any dream that you are dreaming, but the vividness of this lucid dream entirely depends on the vividness of the dream you just became aware in.

Not always, usually the dream gets much more vivid and very real once you become lucid. Again, the method is not what determines that. Most recommend the WBTB method for beginners, but you can also combine that with WILD. I like WILD mainly because I can be lucid for the entire dream whereas with DILD or some of the other methods, you only get part of it. Plus there is just nothing more fantastic than walking though a fuzzy flat screen image straight into hi definition, 3D full color world, real to the touch. How can you beat that?
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

lucidifyme

Postby lucidifyme » 26 Nov 2013 05:49

lucidifyme wrote:
Goldkoron wrote:WILD is one of the hardest ways to induce a lucid dream, but it is the most rewarding. Basically doing a WILD is having a lucid dream on your own terms when you want. The WILD method is also nice because the dream you will enter with it with be a very very vivid dream, therefore it will be a better lucid dream in end result, more control, longer, and things are more realistic in it.

Is going to sleep paralysis the hard part about wild, or?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 28 Nov 2013 12:54

Hi Goldkoron I'll answer all three of your questions.

#1 Dilds vs WILDs - Dilds can happen in both REM sleep and NREM sleep; WILDS need to be broken into two types: the Full WILD and the Demi-WILD. The Full WILD is when you go sleep with unbroken consciousness and go through the stages of of sleep: hypnagogic images; then NREM dreams; then REM dreams (alternating with REM nightmares with the nightmares usually coming after the dreams) then return to consciousness. The Full WILD has subtypes too as one can go into Delta wave dreamless and thoughtless sleep (but still conscious sleep) before going into REM dreams or one could go into NREM dreams after REM dreams before waking up or go into hypopomic images after either REM or NREM dreams.

Demi-WILDs are when one goes into sleep conscious but does go through the whole sleep process (excluding Delta wave sleep). Demi-WILDS have a bunch of subtypes:one could see only HI and not get past them; one could have both HI and NREM dreams but not get pass them. One also has demi-WILDS going the other way: dream returns and wake back to beds.

Rem dreams are usually more vivid than NREM dreams and HI, but vividness is separate from the type of dream.

#2 Yes, WILDS are better than DILDS especially Full WILDS for the obvious reason that one has unbroken consciousness, thus eliminating the possiblity that one is having a dream that one is having a Lucid Dream rather than being really lucid.

#3 My opinion is that Sleep paralysis is a type of dream and no one does not need to be in it ever to have a WILD or an OBE either. Normal sleep goes like this: on loses consciousness; experiences HI; then NREM dreams; then delta wave sleep (dreamless sleep), as one comes out of delta wave sleep one enters REM Muscle Atonia; then finally enters REM dreams. REM Muscle Atonia triggers REM dreams. Delta wave sleep is the ultimate rest for ones brain as it's nearly off. REM Muscle Atonia puts the body into it's deepest sleep where it's as off as it gets, but when it happens your brain is speeding back up from Delta wave sleep and becomes disassociated from ones body and speeds itself up with REM dreams before speeding the body back up (more commonly called waking up).

In a full WILD one normally experiences Rem Muscle Atonia only as an extremely quick dream image and one never experiences SP. One can wake up though in any of the sleep stages. One can also be lucid and loose consciousness in any stage of sleep.

The chief reason one can both Lucid dream and that dream vividness varies froom dream to dream is that different parts of the brain can be in different brain wave states at the same time rather than all be in the same wave state at the same time.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 28 Nov 2013 20:06

Thanks for clearing up the issue of Sleep Paralysis. There is a lot of misconception about that, particularly among beginners. SP is NOT a necessary stage you must pass through in order to WILD as some people seem to believe.

Most of the claims of SP come from people with little or no experience with WILD or any other method of lucid dreaming. I want to make sure that people are not afraid of Sleep Paralysis since it is rare to experience it.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Nov 2013 10:23

Goldkoron wrote: The WILD method is also nice because the dream you will enter with it with be a very very vivid dream, therefore it will be a better lucid dream in end result, more control, longer, and things are more realistic in it. A DILD is a dream induced lucid dream where you simply become aware in the middle of any dream that you are dreaming, but the vividness of this lucid dream entirely depends on the vividness of the dream you just became aware in.

Neither of those things are true.

WILD doesnt necessarily mean a better lucid dream. Many of my WILDs havent been good at all as they have been flops with me dropping in and out of the dream constantly, not being able to get the dream vivid etc. It all depends.

And with DILDs the vividness of the LD doesnt depend on the vividness of the dream you became aware in either. Once one wakes up in the dream it may in fact become very vivid, much more vivid. Ive often had more vivid DILDs then I have with my WILDs.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Nov 2013 10:26

lucidifyme wrote:
lucidifyme wrote: Is going to sleep paralysis the hard part about wild, or?

Ive NEVER had sleep paralysis with any of my WILDs.
Last edited by taniaaust1 on 30 Nov 2013 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Nov 2013 10:33

lucidinthe sky wrote: Most of the claims of SP come from people with little or no experience with WILD or any other method of lucid dreaming. I want to make sure that people are not afraid of Sleep Paralysis since it is rare to experience it.

You'll usually hear the beginners going on about sleep paralyses and unfortunately too many beginners with no experience in LD are answering other beginners questions wrongly so it makes things more confusing for people.

I wouldnt say it was rare to experience it thou. Sleep paralyses is commonly experienced and most people at some time or another will experience it at some point. Hence people should be prepared to experience something like that and know how to break it if it occurs to them to prevent being scared by it.

Return to “For Beginners”