Help!!!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Ivanna

Help!!!

Postby Ivanna » 03 Jan 2012 16:37

Hi there I'm new here :3

I've known about lucid dreaming for quite a while now (almost a year), but I have never been fortunate enough to experience any. I may have had a couple of semi-lucid experiences in the past but nothing ever more than that. I have literally tried every technique out there; DILD, WILD (& WBTB), VILD, MILD, FILD, I've written dream journals, I do reality checks, I've listened to brainwave entrainment before sleep & self-hypnosis MP3s, I've tried taking naps, I read all about lucid dreaming almost every day, I've watched subliminal videos, I even eat cheese before bed for Pete's sake!!!! Yet: nothing. I honestly don't know what to do any more! I'm not stressing about it, I have even gone weeks without trying anything and taken breaks from trying in the hope that something might happen, but no. Also I can't afford to buy anything like the Nova Dreamer at the moment, and I don't really fancy taking suplements and suff. So please, aany suggestions???!! Do you think that there is something that perhaps I'm doing wrong??

Thanks, Ivanna :)
In dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own ~ Dumbledore

lucidinthe sky

Re: Help!!!

Postby lucidinthe sky » 03 Jan 2012 19:43

Hi Ivanna, welcome to the group.

From what you are saying it sounds like you are doing everything that's recommended so it should just be a matter of time. Unfortunately, it's a long wait sometimes. :( One of the pitfalls is trying too hard so watch out for that. This is difficult for me because you can be successful at many things just by trying harder, but lucid dreaming requires a delicate balance between trying hard enough and trying too much. You really have to be able to let go and let it happen. I just want to encourage you not to give up. Take a break if necessary, but don't give up. My first lucid dream was worth more than all the effort I put in over more than 2 years even though I was only commited for the last few months.

It's more amazing than I could have imagined and I think the fact that it's difficult makes it even more incredible. What makes it so incredible is same thing that makes it so difficult and it is this: dream reality is nearly identical to waking reality. This is really hard to imagine or believe because we evaluate our dreams after we wake up when things are foggy in our minds. Once you have an LD, you'll see what I mean. You are in an actual physical place, not watching a movie. I spent my first one just touching everything. It wasn't until I grasped the full meaning of this that I could be successful at it. I had to really believe that I could dreaming at any moment. It often requires noticing subtle differences to make it happen. One missed attempt for me was as simple as missing a one letter misspelling in a sign that was back to normal when I looked again. I asked myself whether it was a dream and came to the conclusion that it wasn't. Wrong! I recommend looking closely at your dreams for those quirks that are common elements for you and focusing reality checks at least partly around those. Also asking yourself how you got here when you do RCs and tracing it back to when you woke up. I would suggest putting most of your energy into the WILD method in the morning because almost all LDs occur then so why waste your energy on times that are unlikely to give results. Good luck and I hope to hear about your first LD.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Gooeymaw

Postby Gooeymaw » 03 Jan 2012 23:51

Chiming in with Lucidinthesky here, just keep at it. I've been lucid dreaming for the last couple of decades, and I still go through dry spells where I don't have any lucid dreams, and other times when I have very little regular dream recall. It WILL happen, but here are my recommendations. Keeping a journal makes a huge difference with me. All those dry spells are nearly always corellated to my getting lazy and not recording dreams. Even if the dreams are really boring, just write down something, you don't have to write down every little detail. The idea is to excersize those remembr'n muscels, and that in turns increases your dream recall, and thus your chances to become lucid.

Now I have a question. You say you eat cheese before bed time? I don't think I've read that as a suggestion.

Also, I hear vitamin b-12 (which can be pretty inexpensive) may make colors in your dreams super bright. I forget the results I had with it, if you wanted to try a cheap dream aid.

R99

Postby R99 » 05 Jan 2012 07:02

Hai, welcome to the group. I think i need to share my trick 2 have ld. During the day just stop from wat u doing for a second and concentrate on some object like flower tree or even a rock just anything u may find attractive, and wonder about its beauty, make shure that ur eyes are open wide and take a deep breath relax. And ask urself 'is this real?, am i dreaming?' then look around dont make it dramatic people think that u r a weirdo. when u utter this words in ur mind make shure asked it like u mean it. U will feel some strageness. Try it, i got several LDs with this technique also continue with ur routine LD practice. If u find any change in ur dreamstate plz inform me. Thanks:)
I see the Truth now.

Ivanna

Postby Ivanna » 05 Jan 2012 16:45

Thanks for the replies everyone, I will definitely keep at it until I get at least 1!!

R99 wrote: I think i need to share my trick 2 have ld. During the day just stop from wat u doing for a second and concentrate on some object like flower tree or even a rock just anything u may find attractive, and wonder about its beauty, make shure that ur eyes are open wide and take a deep breath relax. And ask urself 'is this real?, am i dreaming?' then look around dont make it dramatic people think that u r a weirdo. when u utter this words in ur mind make shure asked it like u mean it. U will feel some strageness.

Thanks for your tip R99, I will try it. I already do reality checks but this does sound like it could be quite effective, thanks! :D I will let you know if I get any LDs using this technique.
In dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own ~ Dumbledore

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 05 Jan 2012 20:37

I agree with R99's idea. I do something similar. But the key for me was to change my what I call my "map of reality" to include dreams. I had to take reality checks more seriously and really believe that dreams are as real as waking life before I could have a significant lucid dream.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “For Beginners”