right before going to bed, what can I do?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Lucid Dreamer

right before going to bed, what can I do?

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 18 Nov 2013 21:49

So often at night time I feel like I can't do anything to help with my lucid dreaming. I often do a reality check before I close my eyes to go to sleep, but this seems like not enough. Are there other techniques I can do before falling asleep? I know attempting to have a WILD before going to sleep for the first time is not a good idea because it is unlikely. More in the morning after waking up once. But can I meditate before going to sleep? Often when I do this I feel like I'm holding on to waking, and I just get tired eventually and let go and go to sleep. Also, would meditating before falling asleep be bad? What do you all lucid dreamers do before falling asleep at night to help you improve your lucid dreaming? (not necessarily wanting to have and LD that night, just overall)
"All men whilst they are awake are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own." ~Plutarch

Blgr64

Re: right before going to bed, what can I do?

Postby Blgr64 » 18 Nov 2013 23:20

What I do is, B-MILD
It's basically Mild but your repeat a phrase in time with you breathing, so it's like
(Breath in) Tonight (Breath out) I will lucid dream
You can make the phrase what ever ya want. :)

Juggernaut625

Postby Juggernaut625 » 19 Nov 2013 01:06

I just think about it real hard, think of what I'd like to dream about and then watch this video (on a mobile device just before sleep if you can)

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucid-dreaming-subliminal-video.html

Helps a lot more than you think, it cause spontaneous lucidity for me when I was in my dream then it started flashing as shown at the end of the video, and then people started telling me I'm in control etc, which triggered lucidity.

There's an assortment of things you can do before bed, but my suggestion if your a beginner is to just solely think about it. Read a few blog posts, I think I must of read for well over an hour and 30 minutes every night for like a month before getting my first spontaneous LD.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Nov 2013 12:10

Lucid Dreamer wrote:So often at night time I feel like I can't do anything to help with my lucid dreaming. I often do a reality check before I close my eyes to go to sleep, but this seems like not enough. Are there other techniques I can do before falling asleep? I know attempting to have a WILD before going to sleep for the first time is not a good idea because it is unlikely. More in the morning after waking up once. But can I meditate before going to sleep? Often when I do this I feel like I'm holding on to waking, and I just get tired eventually and let go and go to sleep. Also, would meditating before falling asleep be bad? What do you all lucid dreamers do before falling asleep at night to help you improve your lucid dreaming? (not necessarily wanting to have and LD that night, just overall)

If you are wanting to do more and looking for something to do before sleep. I personally think you should be trying WILD before you fall asleep as heading to a sleep state or just on waiting up, is a perfect time to be trying. Doing it when you are about to fall asleep as it brings you throu the right state for a WILD so it can be achieved far faster.

I personally wouldnt be doing meditation while falling asleep as then you are just training your body to fall asleep while meditating and that is an issue for many who do meditation for various reasons and could screw up things for you in the future if you go to try other things.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Lucid Dreamer

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 30 Nov 2013 15:30

thank you all. this was really helpful
"All men whilst they are awake are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own." ~Plutarch

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 01 Dec 2013 01:12

Affirmations like the Blgr64 said, said before going to sleep eg I will lucid dream .. can help too. Increasing body awareness can help too like what was mentioned in the others post on watching breath or saying an affirmation to breath.

(When I said I wouldnt meditate while going to sleep as in common kind of meditation where one is slowing mind and relaxing body and just allow onself to go to sleep with that.. I thought I'd best clarify).

Increasing awareness as one is going to sleep can help one to LD as it is that awareness which will help one to know when one enters a LD state.

Another method before bed would be yogi energy raising techniques (thou if done too much those can cause insomina).

anyway, there is various things which can be done before bed which can be helpful. Often these things can be used in combination with other things.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 Dec 2013 11:25

In the evening, before bedtime, I do absolutely nothing. I go to bed and have a full night sleep (if I plan DEILD or DILD) or six hours sleep before getting up and returning to bed (WBTB/WILD). DEILD and WILD (using the deferred method) should yields results within the first five minutes. If it doesn't, you have better chances by falling asleep to either have a DILD or to catch the next awakening for an OBE-styled induction.

Now, WILD or OBE without any prior sleep is possible but is more a thing for the experience. Novices should master the easier methods first before taking on that challenge. Attempting the harder method requires more time. (Not within 5 minutes of going down, but rather, within half an hour.)

If nothing happens within the first half hour, then chances are that nothing will happen and you should just sleep instead of risking further disillusionment.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Dec 2013 03:54

Summerlander wrote: If nothing happens within the first half hour, then chances are that nothing will happen and you should just sleep instead of risking further disillusionment.

60-80% of the time, it takes me 45mins to have a WILD if Im doing it before going to sleep or during it during the day. If i stopped at the 30min mark, I would of not had most of my WILDs (and would be stopping only 10-15mins before hand). The idea is to try till one goes to sleep (one will either end up having one or just fall asleep non lucidly.

Someone who regularly falls into a non lucid sleep when trying this, means this method wouldnt at all be right for that person.

I think time wise its really hard to say.. patience can be important (Ive heard others say too that it commonly takes them around 45mins). This things can be tried on top of people waking up during the night to try them. and not necessarily as a replacement technique for trying at other times. For some (eg children who have school the next day, those who have sleep issues with frequent awakening etc), it may not be wise to be waking up in the middle of the night to LD and doing it at when one has first gone to bed, can end up having the same result without causing sleep distubance.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 Dec 2013 13:54

Are you sure it's 45 minutes for you, tania? I'm only saying this because even a minute can feel like an eternity when you are lying down. If indeed that is your case, I can coach you to reach the state in much lesser time.

Anyway, the ranges of time I speak of come from research with thousands of subjects and are, thus, generalised. There is no sense in refusing to sleep until something happens - in fact, this can be detrimental to one's practice and can case disillusionment with the whole phenomenon in many beginners.

At the OOBE Research Center we call the method of induction without any prior sleep the "direct method." It is the most challenging for the novice which is why we advise them to master the "indirect" one first. Trust, the stastics show that you can have far more experiences this way. (So I am not just saying it is applicable to my experience, but, in fact, to thousands of others.

Another thing I'd like to add: many experienced practitioners stick to the easiest methods.

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 Dec 2013 14:05

By the way, I'm a father of three. I do school runs before going to work. It doesn't stop me from employing any methods for reaching lucid dreaming - be that WILD/OBE without prior sleep, WBTB, DEILD, MILD, or DILD.

If you are a parent or an early riser for work and you believe this affects your practice, then by all means try to do it on a day off or even when you have time. One can even take advantage of catnaps during the day. Oh! And be realistic. On average I have 2-3 attempts per week and that yields desired results. Trying too hard and too often in a desperately manner only works against you.

- Padmasambhava

Return to “For Beginners”