Recurrent dream

A place to share and analyze your dreams (lucid or otherwise) to better understand your dreams' subconscious symbolism.
Zero

Recurrent dream

Postby Zero » 04 Dec 2013 09:00

Hello. I'm Zero and I'm new here. I wanted to describe to you some recurrent dreams I have had in the past and possibly get your opinion on what they may have meant. This may be a bit long.

The dreams were always the same. I'd be on the phone talking to a friend of mine I'll call John. Always the same person. I never see him and he never sees me, and I never even see myself! Neither one of us is in any discernible location either. I don't see much as I am usually in darkness.

At this point I should probably mention that John and I have talked on the phone A LOT over the past few years and we've never met, though I know what he looks like.

The dreams always involved him talking, sometimes yelling, ranting, crying, or shouting. I would always listen to him, rarely would I say anything, but I could *always* hear how he was feeling. I rarely remembered the details of what he was saying, but in the dream I would *think* to myself "Wow, John is angry." or "John sounds like he wants to cry".

The first several months the dreams always involved an angry John. I would always have these dreams within 24 hours of talking to him, but I can honestly say that John was never angry on the phone in real life. He had a lot of trouble and aggravations, but I was never made privy to how he was feeling.

After a while the dreams would occur once a week or once every two weeks, not usually when I talked to him, and they took on a different tone. John went from sounding angry to sounding frustrated, depressed, sad, worried, anxious, hurt. He'd be crying or I could hear despair and emotional suffering in his voice. These dreams were intense and they all took place at a time when John was not as troubled. Perhaps periodically irritated, and busy, but no daily aggravations like before.

Sometimes I would have a dream that he was depressed around a week or two when he didn't call. Later I would find out that he was indeed depressed during this time.

A little more than a year ago, things got much worse for John. There were unexpected disasters and his life was turned upside down. The dreams stopped shortly before things took a turn for the worse for him. I had almost no dreams of him during the time when he was at his lowest point ever. In the past year I have had maybe 10 dreams about him, much milder in nature (compared to the previous frequency of once a week).

Eventually there would be phone calls where he was crying, frantic, anxious, desperate, fearful, sounding defeated, depressed... there were times when I wasn't sure how he would last another month. Needles to say John always pulled through.... oh, and there were many times this past summer where he was on the phone, ranting angrily.

So, if you have read this far down, I thank you. My question is I don't know if I should look at these dreams as insight - like I was subconsciously picking up on how he was feeling and then my dream practically spelled it out for me. Or should I look at them as prophetic?

chaosdragoon13

Re: Recurrent dream

Postby chaosdragoon13 » 05 Dec 2013 13:38

I'm not sure what to say, this recurrent dream sounds intense, like really intense. But this is my opinion I am not sure whether I'm right or not but here goes. John is a friend of yours right, I think it is your subconscious who is angry or frustrated because you care about john more than yourself. That you don't give enough attention to your mind or something like that. I don't know, maybe you have a feeling inside of you saying that john isn't as happy as he looks, that he is hiding his true emotions and your subconscious is trying to tell you that he needs your help, talk to him. That's what I think so I hope this helped in any way possible.

Zero

Re: Recurrent dream

Postby Zero » 08 Dec 2013 23:09

chaosdragoon13 wrote:I'm not sure what to say, this recurrent dream sounds intense, like really intense. But this is my opinion I am not sure whether I'm right or not but here goes. John is a friend of yours right, I think it is your subconscious who is angry or frustrated because you care about john more than yourself. That you don't give enough attention to your mind or something like that. I don't know, maybe you have a feeling inside of you saying that john isn't as happy as he looks, that he is hiding his true emotions and your subconscious is trying to tell you that he needs your help, talk to him. That's what I think so I hope this helped in any way possible.

Hmmm.... Interesting reply. I have to disagree though, and say I don't care more about John than myself.

What I feel throws a wrench into most possible interpretations of these dreams is the fact that most of what I heard in these dreams, I eventually heard in real life 1 to 2 years later. That's what's so weird...

Thanks for your insight.

Return to “Dream Interpretation”