...Disconnection...

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
deschainXIX

...Disconnection...

Postby deschainXIX » 06 Dec 2013 22:52

Now, let me just say that I'm not losing track of reality in any way, so don't get that idea.
I've been experiencing an increasingly prominent change of mindset while awake and in the real world. Some of it, I fear, may be attributable to my oneironautical ventures. I feel ... detached ... while in reality. While I'm in waking life, it often feels like a dream, and there have been more and more frequent occasions where I am absolutely sure that it is a dream (it feels so foggy), until I perform a reality check and I realize that I was just about to jump out a window and fly (I've learned to frequently reality check when in a lucid dream ... just to be sure). Everything is a bit ... distant and dreamlike.

It's almost like being underwater, but perhaps not that extreme.

I almost welcome it. It makes me calm and clear-minded ... I don't really care if something bad happens, I'm simply tranquil. Intense and sharp emotions (like fear, anger, panic) have been dulled. I don't get angry. I mean, I feel the anger, but it's almost as if I'm observing a red sailboat drifting along the ocean's horizon from atop a lighthouse.

The closest way I could describe it is I've assumed a more ... passive consciousness.

Is this a consequence of being closer to my dreams? Of recalling them, recording them, and meditating on them throughout the day? Is this actually a form of "waking up" to the truth of reality: how thin and membranous it really is?
Well said.

lucidinthe sky

Re: ...Disconnection...

Postby lucidinthe sky » 07 Dec 2013 00:57

deschainXIX wrote:Now, let me just say that I'm not losing track of reality in any way, so don't get that idea.
I've been experiencing an increasingly prominent change of mindset while awake and in the real world. Some of it, I fear, may be attributable to my oneironautical ventures. I feel ... detached ... while in reality. While I'm in waking life, it often feels like a dream, and there have been more and more frequent occasions where I am absolutely sure that it is a dream (it feels so foggy), until I perform a reality check and I realize that I was just about to jump out a window and fly (I've learned to frequently reality check when in a lucid dream ... just to be sure). Everything is a bit ... distant and dreamlike.

It's almost like being underwater, but perhaps not that extreme.

I almost welcome it. It makes me calm and clear-minded ... I don't really care if something bad happens, I'm simply tranquil. Intense and sharp emotions (like fear, anger, panic) have been dulled. I don't get angry. I mean, I feel the anger, but it's almost as if I'm observing a red sailboat drifting along the ocean's horizon from atop a lighthouse.

The closest way I could describe it is I've assumed a more ... passive consciousness.

Is this a consequence of being closer to my dreams? Of recalling them, recording them, and meditating on them throughout the day? Is this actually a form of "waking up" to the truth of reality: how thin and membranous it really is?

In my opinion, yes. But then I believe our "reality" is a manifestation of consciousness.

The detachment you feel in waking life is probably a result of experiencing the lucid dreaming OBE and that separation. For me, lucid dreams kind of reset my concept of what is real and helped me understand a lot. Once you realize that you can create "reality" with no outside sensory input, it makes you rethink things.

The separation you experience in lucid dreams between your physical body that's in the bed and your "dream" body is the OBE aspect of lucid dreaming. To me, if our consciousness is separate from our physical bodies then we are always out of body, we just are not always aware of it. The less connected you are to physical plane of your earth body, the more you experience your consciousness as separate. That's how I see it anyway.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 07 Dec 2013 02:21

Higher state of consciousness perhaps evoked by the dream work you do. Great! But we are in the physical realm. And until we can put our hands through a table or walk through walls in this realm....haha....i would do some stretches every morning and every night just to get you grounded. The clarity you speak of actually does show you are aware at the highest level....but yeh, i would do some simple stretches and possibly incorporate (if you don't already) some meditation into your daily routine. Focus on breathing and coming back to the moment. You have a dog in your photo. Stroke him/her muchly. Anything that reconnects you. Some people spend years trying to find that state of clarity....you will stay connected even more strongly through grounding yourself back here in the physical state.

I met a man once who did so much dream work at a workshop that he left thinking his car could go through solid objects as he was driving home! Was he losing his grip on reality? No. He was just between two worlds of reality and hadn't adjusted properly before leaving. A near hit soon grounded him!!

You can enjoy all the states of consciousness when you learn how to drive them.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 07 Dec 2013 04:03

Yeah, thanks for the tips. I do meditate daily. And, again, it's not that I'm losing track of what's real ... I know what's real, it's just ... everything is just more clear, but there are those increasingly frequent moments of uncertainty. And those moments are the weirdest, most surreal things of my life; and that includes everything I've experienced in a dream.
When I become lucid in a dream, there are several things that happen. For me, my vision sharpens intensely and my hearing sort of pops and comes into focus. It's as if someone is in my head and sharply turns up all the knobs on "SENSORY INPUT." And this happens when I'm in reality and I get the false suspicion it's a dream.

Also, time has become something of an enigma and I think this may have something to do with my recent acceptance of the fact that everything (including time) is absolutely defined by perception and memory, both of which are extremely faulty mechanisms. And so I've been manipulating how I perceive things to sort of ... be outside of time. I can almost let it sort of slip up--and before I know it, it's two hours later.

I'm sure everyone gets this with time. "They grow up so fast." "Wasn't it just Christmas? How did we get to another Christmas so fast?"
Well said.

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 08 Dec 2013 00:33

Are you familiar with Rene Descartes? French modern philosopher? You would be fascinated by his theories as so much of what you are talking about relates.

I think the real madness lies with those who are not aware. Matrix stuff. Those tied up in the illusion. Unconsciously dreaming away a life. Having said that a close family member of mine suffered with schizophrenia (although he is fine now) but I could literally see him living a waking dream...and at times a nightmare. But it's interesting because he has actually learned to manage it, he has never been cured as such. He still hallucinates but he understands...it's a dream! And that was the drug free 'cure' for him in the end. The waking up to the dream. So in a sense he gained lucidity in a waking state of a waking dream. I admire him for it. It was hard work for him as it is certainly an unconventional approach. I think he surprised his CPN!

So there are all these different states of consciousness and I really believe that lucid dreaming is a way to explore the potential of our unconscious and conscious states, a bringing together of the two. It is a great journey of discovery. I am not afraid to explore. I think collectively we have much to learn from it.

It's kind of Shamanic as well. The Shaman's were able to be in 2 different states of consciousness in one time space. What we call Lucid dreaming they call Journeying. In the West we romanticise shamanism and make it spiritual and fluffy. But they were the original walkers of the dream state. The creators of dream circles. But obviously based in a whole culture that differs to where us modern westerners are taking Lucid dream potential. Some of us do it for the fun, the freedom. I work with it because i want to expand the potential state of my consciousness and see how that fits into the collective. Like you, it definitely altered my waking life too and continues to do so. But like i keep saying, grounding, connection and clarity are key. It's the first thing we do when we become lucid in a dream. To ground (reality checks). To observe the dream space. Then we are ready to explore. (Actually that reminded me of going to the supermarket earlier with all the mad christmas shoppers!!)

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”