A few questions for seasoned dreamers.

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
RustyMinecart

A few questions for seasoned dreamers.

Postby RustyMinecart » 04 Dec 2013 19:49

I have a couple of questions about lucid dreaming. I have yet to have a lucid dream, and I need some advice.
First, Is this a good method for dreaming? (I have tried it and It seems to be the most successful)
First I lay down and close my eyes. Next I breathe in and out slowly and count my breaths up to sixty. Most of the time it gets me into a strange state where I feel like I am spinning a bit. Next I repeat to my self "I am dreaming." Over and over. At the same time I begin the visualization technique. I have a bit of trouble with visualization though.
Second, when I try the technique listed above, my stomach starts to feel strange, not unlike when I get hungry. Is this normal?
Third, how frequent are things like sleep paralysis and OBEs?
Fourth, how long of practice does it generally take to have a lucid dream? I just want to know if it will take a couple of weeks or a year.

Thanks,
Rusty
You Create Your Own Reality

taniaaust1

Re: A few questions for seasoned dreamers.

Postby taniaaust1 » 04 Dec 2013 23:47

The incidence of sleep paralysis and OBE would vary according to not just individuals but also what methods are being used and even what schools or sites they are getting their info from.

eg if people are going to a LD site in which everyone talks of having sleep paralyses and gives the impression this happens to everyone, it then is far more likely that that the others there esp the beginners who dont know better, will all start having sleep paralyses happen due to strong expectation of it happening.

How long it will take for you to have a LD.. well no one can tell you. Some do as soon as they start researching this stuff.. many will have one in the first 21 days of trying LD techniques... while others it can take them far longer.

If you go to a place in which everyone takes a long time before they have a LD, it is likely then to take longer. Once again expectation can play a part.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 04 Dec 2013 23:56

I have a couple of questions about lucid dreaming. I have yet to have a lucid dream, and I need some advice.
First, Is this a good method for dreaming? (I have tried it and It seems to be the most successful)
First I lay down and close my eyes. Next I breathe in and out slowly and count my breaths up to sixty. Most of the time it gets me into a strange state where I feel like I am spinning a bit. Next I repeat to my self "I am dreaming." Over and over. At the same time I begin the visualization technique. I have a bit of trouble with visualization though.

No I wouldnt say that is a good way for a beginner to go as to me seems to be only part of a LD plan. This may just lead to you getting better at visualization or relax you to the point where you have an OBE. Being able to get into the right degree of relaxation thou it can be important depending on what LD method you are doing, it is only a part of being able to trigger a LD (takes you half there)

You need to let go of your mind some too (so the subconciousness can start manifesting too) if you want to have a LD. Are you then planning to roll over and go to sleep after this programming etc? (to let go).

Keeping a dream journal, reality checks etc..all the normal LD technique still is important too no matter what method you are trying. I suggest to read Rebeccas stuff on LD. I strongly suggest to do more then just what you have posted.

RustyMinecart

Postby RustyMinecart » 05 Dec 2013 00:08

Thanks a lot. Anyone have a really great method I could use? (Everyone says WILD is the best but I am confused about it) If not can anyone help me understand WILD better?

yours4everblue

Postby yours4everblue » 05 Dec 2013 01:08

Hello RustyMinecart!

I'm new to the forum, so I don't have experience of the techniques used here precisely... I've been reading the blog all night and they do sound like some of the things I've done to achieve LD (hey, I'm getting the lingo!)

Your visualisation technique actually sounds to me like a good idea- I use something like it to help me drift off to sleep. I think knowing all the various stages of being awake and dreaming will help you- sort of like learning clutch control when you learn to drive :) The floaty tummy thing sounds like that feeling you get before you jerk yourself awake- it has a name, but I can't think of it now. Sometimes I've had that between sleep/wake and it's woken me up, other times I've drifted off to sleep.

I would agree with the previous poster- I've had sleep paralysis maybe once, but I can't even be sure it definitely was sleep paralysis. I also agree about the whole 'letting go' thing- it'll help in recognising the difference between sleep and dream (I think- I'm experienced, not an expert haha).

My advice would be to try your technique on a night you won't have to wake up with an alarm, and can have a bit of a lie in. The early morning doze is the ideal time for lucid dreaming, I find. That and naps. If there was an Olympic event in napping, I would win all the gold. I can't however give you any advice on the techniques here because like I said, I've never used them. You'll achieve LD soon, I'm sure. People I know had never heard of lucid dreaming until I explained what my crazy mind does, and then a few weeks later they come back to me and say 'I did that dreaming control thing you told me about!' I think being subconsciously aware that you can do it is enough to kickstart it.

Good luck :)

RustyMinecart

Postby RustyMinecart » 09 Dec 2013 17:25

Thanks guys! I had my first lucid dream a few days ago because of your help!!!
:D

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 Dec 2013 04:05

that's great to hear that you had a LD :)

Something in your post you said before "everyone says WILD is the best".. I'd like to comment on. I havent noticed anyone here saying "its' the best" for everyone... what is best varies depending on the individual person, what they've previous tried and how they went with it and whatever their life situation is. For myself, I do really like WILD but that doesnt mean its suitable for everyone else.

Return to “For Beginners”