How much time do you spend on Journaling?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.

How much time do you spend on Journaling?

Postby RosenVitae » 26 Dec 2011 13:45

Goodmorning :)

I'm trying to deal/"cope" with the amount of time journaling could potentially comsume for me. My dreams these last few days have provided me so much detail that I imagine myself spending two hours easy before I can get out of bed (as I recall emotions and dispositions towards many, if not each, of my dream experiences. *My subconsciousness is telling me that this is a very good thing if I intent to understand my dreams* and I agree). However, I've neglected journaling those dreams because I didn't feel like spending that much time journaling (even after switching to voice recording, as I have a very bad handwriting, especially in the morning).
Ofcourse, I could spend less time, cutting things short, but with all the encouragement to "get as many details as possible", I can't help but feel that it would defeat the purpose somehow. It's like I'm hearing myself say "It's either all, or nothing. Period".

How do you guys deal with Dream Journaling (DJ?)? Have anyone had the same situation?

Thanks! :)
Started training: 18/12-2011.
First deliberate LD: 4/1-2012 (DILD).
Lucidities after that: 26/3-2012 (DILD during nap), 1/6-2012 (DILD during nap),

lucidinthe sky

Re: How much time do you spend on Journaling?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 26 Dec 2011 16:56

I must confess that my answer is that I spend no time with a journal of any kind. I was hesitant to answer, because I think it's a good idea, especially for those working on recall. A dream journal is recommended by most experts in this field.

I spend around 5 to 10 minutes in the morning, mentally going through my dreams, and I try to integrate thinking about them the next day during my daily activity so they become more a part of life, just as if they were waking life memories. Instead of writing, I focus on trying to go back to experience it again in my mind like a meditation. It becomes more of a mental exercise than a physical one for me. Maybe I could have more LDs if I did a journal, but right now I'm having around 2 per week so I'm satisfied.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Postby fistania » 28 Dec 2011 00:31

it really is important though, depends on how many parts i remember, i can spent like until an hour to write it because it really improve my dream recall and my dreams becoming more vivid. i've once stopped writing dream journal for some time and my dream recall became weaker :/ .my handwriting sucks as well, as sometimes i can't even read it myself -__-" but for me writing by hand is the best method because i can draw to explain :D

Postby jamjam » 28 Dec 2011 22:57

I usually write down some key words in the dream (eg if I dreamed about pie and pink pigs then I'd write pie, pink pigs, etc).I also include a title (eg The Pie Dream). It helps with dream recall and usually takes around 5-10 minutes.

Postby houseofleaves » 03 Jan 2012 07:07

Like jamjam, when I journal, I find briefly outlining my dream right after waking is most effective. By writing down only small important phrases or thoughts such as "driving home," "movie theater," or "I'm not scared" in chronological order, it helps me remember my dream as a whole by stringing together vivid images, thoughts and feelings. I usually get around half a page of these phrases. I then take these notes and expand on them in as much detail as possible later in the day. Scribbling down the outline takes anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple minutes while it takes me up to an hour to expand them to a full detailed entry.

When I first began journaling, I tried writing extensive, detailed entries right after waking up. I found that while I remember my whole dream after waking up, by the time I get around to writing about the later parts of my dream, I've already forgotten it. I got really frustrated at constantly forgetting the majority of my dreams, so I started only writing notes, and I can say now that it is much more satisfying to remember a whole dream in "pretty good" detail then to only remember a small portion in "excellent" detail. Hopefully that will help you with your "all or nothing" dilemma.

Outlining is also effective for remembering dreams in the middle of the night when you're too tired/lazy to make a full entry.
"The madman is a waking dreamer." -Immanuel Kant

Postby Gooeymaw » 03 Jan 2012 23:55

Likewise, I don't have that much time in my day to literally record every niggling detail from my dreams. As much as I would like to do that, it's simply not realistic. I get down what I think are the really important stuff, and just hope all the minute details are not going to be that important. In my earlier days, when I didn't have a job, I had oodles of time on my hands, and thus spent a great deal of time keeping copious notes on my dreams. I spend maybe about an hour tops. Then,...well, it's back to all the other responsibilities I have. I think the effort to keep up with them is going to have to be good enough for most of us.

Postby Wolvendeer » 07 Jan 2012 15:24

You can spend as much or as little time as you like journaling. What may be best for you is making a list of dreamsigns, including emotions and dispositions, and journal the entire dream later. Alternatively, you can use a voice recorder to get the dream down in a couple of minutes.

In my experience, I spend about an hour journaling on most days, but it may be a little longer if I have multiple detailed dreams. I'm the type that likes to get everything, though, and while I don't have much time to myself during the day, I've journaled for over 10 years now, and my dreams are worth it to me enough to journal them in enough detail to ensure I am able to re-experience them in the same detail 10 years from now as I did on the night I dreamed them, even if it means giving up a good chunk of the time I do have. For you, less detail may be just as good as more detail. My earlier dreams were all just a few sentences here or there, and that only takes a few minutes.

Postby HAGART » 07 Jan 2012 17:58

Sometimes it takes me up to 2 hours to write my dreams out on a computer. And that's after writing notes in bed, while it was still fresh in my mind. I have more notes than I have typed out in my journal and I don't think I will ever catch up. It's a self-made frustration I don't need in life. This Jan. 1st in my journal I wrote, "TOO MANY DREAMS!" I have the notes on paper, and I can refer to it some other time if I want.

There's no way I will record every dream I ever had in perfect detail. It would take forever and drive me crazy. I'm only going to write my more significant dreams now.

But if you are working on dream recall, it is very useful because it creates the habit of remembering. And write every last detail even if it seems pointless. Was a person to your left or to your right? What color was the object? Who else was in the room? Stuff like that.

So "how much time do I spend on Journaling?"..... TOO MUCH!
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

Postby fistania » 13 Jan 2012 17:51

Lol yeah, i spend so much time because i want to get much detail as possible

And just sharing, i write my DJ in 3 parts:
1. After i wrote the date, i drew a small key symbol and write the keywords ("fly, big city, with mom", etc)
2. Then i write the complete story below, i insert my personal comments so when i read it again weeks later, i'd laugh and remember how i felt that night. I also draw sketches to strenghten my memory.
3. Below, i write "D/N (dreamer's note)" and list all the bizzare things in the dream that should make me become more critical, in pointers ("i CAN'T see ghost." "my house, but not my house", etc) i find this really helping me become lucid more often.

And there it is, my DJ :D when i've filled 1 notebook full, at the last page i list every dream signs that i ha experienced, and circle those which appear the most ("sky", etc). I also find this helping since if i see the dreamsigns in waking life, i do reality check and put special attention to them.

Hope this helps :)

Return to “For Beginners”