Becoming frustrated, seeking advice

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.

Becoming frustrated, seeking advice

Postby Mori » 14 Dec 2013 07:41

I lucid dream once or twice a month without trying (not meaning to brag, it just happens). When I don't immediately lose lucidity, one of two things happen:

1. I am unable to change the dream despite my best efforts. This is often accompanied by a feeling of physically struggling with the dream.

2. The dream insists I go along with it. (I know the two sound like the same problem, but I don't know any other way to talk about it, and they are different.) Once, I attempted to wake up by telling the person I was talking to "I need to wake up now, I'm very thirsty and I need to use the bathroom", and the atmosphere immediately became threatening until I decided to go along with it. I lost lucidity almost immediately afterwards.

I am becoming frustrated with these because the next morning I feel as if I had very little sleep at all. I thought more practice would help but none of the common reality checks work for me. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Becoming frustrated, seeking advice

Postby Snaggle » 20 Dec 2013 05:59

Hi Mori. You're dealing with two separate issues: dream control and dream command.

Lucidity and control are separate and variable with each dream. You might not be able to change anything or even though you can change stuff the change(s) might not be what you intented and might not stop once started. Years of practice are the only way people normally get dream control.

Dream command such as: "wake up now"; do this or that in the dream is much more easy to gain, but even that will be tested by emotionally intense LD. Emotions in dreams can be much more intense than anything experienced while awake and one only gradually gain emotional control like that possessed while awake in lucid dreams. Doing WILDs whether spontaneously or intentionally I've been trapped in lucid nightmares, as have many people doing WILDs. The worst lucid nightmare have nothing to do with normal dreams-it's the raw and extremely intense emotion of terror one is dealing with and you can be stuck in that unimaginally intense emotion all night as I and others have been. Lucid dreaming is not all candy. The good news is that one gradually gains emotional control in LD, but just as in waking life one starts as a baby with no emotional control and little ability to deal with ones dream life.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Return to “For Beginners”