If people only knew what they are missing

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
lucidinthe sky

If people only knew what they are missing

Postby lucidinthe sky » 19 Dec 2011 19:25

People who have never had a lucid dream have no idea what they are missing! It's so hard because I want to tell people about it, but sadly there isn't really much interest :( I think it's because people don't think there's much value in dreams. It's so sad. I wish I could take them there and show them, but there's no way to do it. Until you experience it, there's no way you can know. You can't really describe it in a way that comes close to what it's like. I just can't get over how lucid dreams are such a real place you can go to and do things just like waking life.

I'm reading Laberge's book on lucid dreaming and he quotes someone who says it's like if you live for 100 years, you live for 200 with lucid dreaming because you are alive while you are sleeping.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

RosenVitae

Re: If people only knew what they are missing

Postby RosenVitae » 19 Dec 2011 22:25

Very inspiring quote there :)

I get you completely. I have the same urge to share something this good to everyone. However, I think you reach the most people by simply sharing the idea and let them think for themselves if they want more.

If it works wonders, it would show; making people wonder why you shine with such good vibrations. Let the subc. give you all the inspiration you can handle and act on it. Dreams give recreation, inspiration gives purpose, new ideas make money. Use it 8-) I know I will.
Started training: 18/12-2011.
First deliberate LD: 4/1-2012 (DILD).
Lucidities after that: 26/3-2012 (DILD during nap), 1/6-2012 (DILD during nap),

rothgar

Postby rothgar » 20 Dec 2011 04:03

I have tried telling those closest to me but they just dont get it. You have to experience it to understand it. It feels like being the only sighted person in a world of blind people. I wouldnt have believed what is like if someone had tried to tell me, so I get it. When I saw inception I would not have believed anyone who told me dreams could be that real. But when you have a true lucid dream, and you really are "there", you feel like another universe was just discovered, but only you seem to even care!

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 20 Dec 2011 04:33

I always thought the idea of a lucid dream was cool, but I really had no idea LDs would be like this. How can anyone imagine such a thing? How can you really explain this to someone who has never experienced it so they understand it? In my last LD this morning, I spent so much of the time convincing myself that it was a dream. Remember you went to bed I told myself. Remember, it wasn't long ago. You know there wasn't enough time to drive here, you know that. It would have taken over an hour. Repeat after me, it's a dream! That was really the only way I knew, and even that was so hard to believe. I even tried suggesting to a dream character that this might be a dream. Imagine just walking up to someone you don't even know. "Excuse me, but I'm having a little problem here. Just wondering if you might be able to help. This might sound strange, but I'm kind of thinking that this could be a dream?..." Makes for a really awkward conversation.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Gooeymaw

Postby Gooeymaw » 02 Jan 2012 21:51

It down right depresses me. I don't have even ONE friend who wants to talk about dreams.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 02 Jan 2012 22:06

Almost as bad are the ones that say, "Oh I do that all of the time, it's nothing special. What's the big deal."

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 07 Jan 2012 19:59

WOW!

I think I found people just like me.

I guess lucid dreaming is not hereditary, or else we would all have family to talk to about it. When I describe it, people listen, nod their head, say, "That's interesting", and then change the subject.

You can't convey exactly how it feels. I don't think the best writer in the world can. And if you could, people would become understandably jealous, and wouldn't want to hear about it.

I am interested in conducting experiments in my Lucid Dreams, testing their limitations and sharing them with people who understand. I never could before and this forum will be a great outlet for that.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 07 Jan 2012 22:45

It's one of those things you just have to experience to really understand. What fascinates me about it is the connection between consciousness and manifestation of reality. If you compare an unconscious dream with a conscious dream, the difference in how real they are is amazing. When you become lucid, it changes instantly that second. I am beginning to believe that the conscious observer literally creates reality or at least brings it to a determined state.

Peter

Postby Peter » 07 Jan 2012 23:00

Agree that in the LD we create reality at some levels. In daily life we interact with reality by way of senses as a filter and beliefs as a guide or moderator.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 07 Jan 2012 23:37

I heard that lucid dreamers question reality a lot and I and you guys are no exception.

I've had some great, vivid, memorable dreams that weren't lucid and they were great. Better than some lucid ones I've had. But once you become lucid and aware, it becomes, for all intense and purposes, real.

Perhaps our waking 'reality' only feels real, because that awareness, or lucidity, that we tend to lose in sleep, is always turned on when we are awake. So whenever you are lucid, whether it be in sleep or awake, is what we call 'real'. However, we can become unlucid in reality. If you get really drunk or do other drugs, you can wake up the next day and not fully remember what you did in 'reality' and it seems like a dream. So it can go both ways.

Reality can only be perceived by things that can perceive it, and it is subjective. I'm sure an ant, sees this universe much different than I do.

Even Albert Einstein once said, "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

I don't like to think about it too much and be blissfully unaware. Sometimes it feels like someone is pulling the wool over my eyes, but it is some comfortable wool! 8-)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “For Beginners”