21st of December: A Day for all Lucid Dreamers

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Summerlander

21st of December: A Day for all Lucid Dreamers

Postby Summerlander » 21 Dec 2013 21:15

Check out this link to know why tonight is the night when all of us should aim to have lucid dreams / out-of-body experiences. At obe4u we call it "Phase Day":

http://www.forum.obe4u.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15231

The phase (or phase state) is a term we use to define the hybrid state responsible for lucid dreaming identified by the Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry. In my own words:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/the-phase-state.html

So aim to reach the phase state (lucid dreaming / out-of-body experience / astral projection) tonight and post your experiences here if any! Good luck and have fun! :D

Lucid dreaming is not the same as dreaming. It is the experiential product of a hybrid brain state in its own right. While frontal areas of the brain are highly active during wakefulness (Wake with Eyes Closed in the picture), the opposite is observed for REM sleep.

Lucid dreaming (phase state) differs from both, but, like the waking state, there is high activity in the frontal areas compared to non-lucid REM sleep. The signature for the phase state is that there is an increase in 40 Hz of power - its signature as it were. The additional electrical activity in the phase state compared to ordinary dreaming enables the sleeper to recognise the truth of the situation.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Re: 21st of December: A Day for all Lucid Dreamers

Postby HAGART » 22 Dec 2013 01:26

Why not have a "Phase Day"? (Stoners have their made up day, April 20th...)
We should have our own!

Hopefully I am lucid tonight, but even a false awakening is still a phase state according to your article. I wonder if there will be any uncanny similarities in our dreams. This is a good opportunity to attempt shared dreaming! I think we should all choose this day to share our dreams no matter what they are, it will be fun. And if I go to sleep with the intent to remember and knowing it's 'phase day' it may just increase my odds anyway so it's a win/win situation and this could be fun.

Also,
Looking at the diagram I'm very curious to know what part of the brain is active in the small red zones just above the left and right eyes during a phase state. Red means higher activity I assume, but I wonder why those spots in particular?
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 22 Dec 2013 02:26

Stoner's day is a day before my youngest son's birthday! LOL! :lol:

Yeah, this topic might increase your chances of having a lucid dream. If shared dreaming is possible, then I shall meet you, lucid, in dreamland! I'm planning to use the WILD method.

On your question regarding brain activity during lucid dreaming... :geek:

The frontopolar regions mostly associated with cognition and evaluating thoughts and feelings - in particular, the right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex with the attribute of self-assessment, picture recognition, environmental interest (specifically attention modulation), decision-making, and working memory. The other important one is a cerebral 'neighbour' - the precuneus which is implicated in self-awareness, visuospatiality and autobiographical memory. (I almost feel like this part should be in the "Dream Science" section!)

Both appear to be important physical components for consciousness. When both these regions are active during REM, you are able to self-reflect. This is also true for false awakenings because you realise that something is not quite right and are able to detect anomalies in the environment.

So yeah, both pre-lucid (false awakenings) and lucid dreaming are properties of the phase state because your mental faculties are superior to those when you are merely dreaming. (And the model of self during lucid dreaming is as close as you get to the waking self model as being lucid means you know for sure what is going on and remember that you had gone to bed previously.)

It's no surprise then, that lucid dreaming is also known as "conscious dreaming" (or dream lucidity is sometimes described as dream consciousness). (Consciousness in the sense that one feels fully awake.)

Sweet lucid dreaming! See you there, buddy! Maybe we can have a lightsaber duel on Darth Vader's Death Star! I'll be on the dark side! :twisted:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 Dec 2013 03:00

I don't mind Mr. :geek: showing up and giving text book responses. I'll use this for reference in the future. Hopefully others reading were thinking the same thing, so it's not just me, but for all others reading this.

Happy Phastivas! (It's Festivas for the rest of us!) -Seinfeld Episode.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 22 Dec 2013 03:06

I just realised...

We missed Phase Day. We should have done it in the morning (or last night). It's the 22nd now! So much for my uber geek response... :-(

Oh well, feel free to induce a lucid dream anyway! (Even though it's pretty late!) See you in dreamland, Hagart! B-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 Dec 2013 04:26

Night of or morning of? Time zones make a difference too. It's the night of the 21st here!
I don't care.
I'll share my dream tomorrow morning no matter how crazy it is.

I hope others do, even if they see this later and have to read their past dream journal to remember this monumental occasion.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 22 Dec 2013 12:27

I had a bad night anyway. I also had a nightmare where my wife spotted an intruder trying to break in from the back door. Was that you, Hagart?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 23 Dec 2013 03:57

I wish it was me! :twisted:
No shared dreams happened.

I was not lucid at all, and the only thing I remember was a dream about getting my hair cut.
I think it signifies change of self and new identity.

That's all I can say. Maybe others had more detailed dreams to share.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 Dec 2013 14:54

We missed the proper night anyway. :cry:

By the way, Newscientist Christmas and New Year Special (21st-28th December funnily enough) has an article about Marquis d'Hervey de Saint-Denys ("Emperor of the Night"). Marquis is described as the master of lucid dreams in the magazine.

At a time when dreams were widely believed to be paranormal in nature, Marquis was able to explore them as a lucid dreamer and discovered how dream content can relate to waking life memory. He also experimented with sounds and scents in order to evoke certain dream elements (recent scientific experiments employed similar methods). He was a hell of an oneironaut as well as a dream scientist.

Some of the content here should really be in the Dream Science section... :mrgreen:

- Padmasambhava

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”