Ugh, clowns!

Share your most awesome, bizarre or lifelike dreams of the non-lucid variety. Tell us about your weirdest nightmares and false awakenings.
pluginmango

Ugh, clowns!

Postby pluginmango » 19 Dec 2013 21:00

Last night I dreamt about my best friend and I. We were on a trip together and stopped to have ourselves a delicious sandwich from a place that looked a lot like Subway :P Anyway, I don't know why, but it seemed like a good idea to go eat that delicious hunk of deliciousness in my car. In the dream, it felt close to midnight and a dense fog was slowly kicking in. I remember telling my friend I should be going soon if I wanted to get home safe. At that moment I was thinking of bad stuff that could happen and I should not have done that! I definitely shouldn't have done that! Because as I looked to my right, I saw a creepy looking clown on a bike riding towards my car. He started circling around my car, holding a music box which played an eery, dreadful sound. Suddenly he got off his bike, tapped on my window and started laughing like a mad man. I screamed myself awake!

I was sooooo close to becoming lucid, though! I knew it wasn't my car I was sitting in and my "best friend" didn't look like my best friend at all. I guess I was so frightened, that I forgot to take control over my dream. I could've turned the clown into a puppy or kitten, but nooooo, I just had to wake up!

Did any of you guys dream about creepy clowns? How did you handle them? Do tell ;) I'd love to read your experiences.
There is no spoon

HAGART

Re: Ugh, clowns!

Postby HAGART » 20 Dec 2013 02:56

Who invented clowns?
Someone must have thought it was a good idea and they would be funny but they're not! They're scary! :twisted: I think clowns should be banned. All they do is scare small children and are no laughing matter.

I haven't had any clown dreams, but I know what you mean when you say you were almost lucid as a result of a freaky event, but chose to wake up as your immediate response to get away. Fear tends to snap me into lucidity too. It makes me think, 'this is too crazy and how do I stop it?' Then I realize, oh yea, it's so crazy it must be a dream. But with fear comes adrenaline and that can jolt us awake.

If you are dreaming about normal, everyday stuff that tends to happen in real life there is no major cue to tip you off and make you realize. It sometimes takes a strong emotion to snap you out of the dream stupor and 'wake up' in the dream.

Even if not lucid, I like the feeling of relief I get after dreams like these, when I wake up and feel thankful it was just a dream. Just that alone could put a spring in my step for the rest of the day knowing life could be a lot worse. There could be evil clowns out to get me!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 20 Dec 2013 15:28

Hello, pluginmango! Have you been listening to Iron Maiden lately (in particular, the song "Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter")? :D

This isn't my dream and you will always be the best person to figure out why you had it. But I can give you a generalised interpretation of it. The clown brings to mind the idea of a circus. Perhaps you feel that your life is like a circus right now, disorganised, and you need to take some control. The clown is also archetypal. According to Carl Jung, these figures tend to appear in dreams when there is some sort of life transition. The clown is riding a bike, one of our first experiences of mastering a skill. The clown messes around on the bike, perhaps a side of you that your subconscious side feels you need to address.

Your friend is like your audience, perhaps your safer and more reliable side that you confide in. You tell her you need to get home soon. "Home" in dreams is theorised to represent the self. (You may feel like you need to find yourself again.) :o

The delicious Sub could be vitality, comfort, and food for thought. The car you drive in your dream represents the the conduct you have in your life, which the clown hampers. Don't ignore the clown aspect, address it. Perhaps when you have a lucid dream, arrange to meet with the creepy clown and find out more about him. Don't be afraid of him. Ask him who he is or what he represents (without expecting a specific reply). ;)

Now, I can't remember dreaming about clowns ever but I did have a WILD about a couple of harlequins once. You can read about it here:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14175&p=36429#p36429

Thanks for sharing your dream! 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

pluginmango

Postby pluginmango » 20 Dec 2013 20:17

Summerlander, I'm speechless!

I have a big job interview coming up this monday in which I'll have to compete against the other applicants by giving a convincing and honest presentation about why I'm the best candidate for the job and how my management will affect the company. I've been struggling on the inside whether or not this job really suits me, but I feel like it could be an opportunity to test my boundaries and my ability to work hard for something. I've only just graduated, so I'll have to show them what I'm made of ;) Usually i'm rather careless, but this position requires a side of me that I actually don't really know yet myself :roll:

Let's hope I'll get another lucid dream before monday, so I could go find that part of me that will kick those other applicants' asses! 8-)
There is no spoon

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 20 Dec 2013 23:50

You can ask for advice in lucid dreams. Go for it and believe in yourself. Give it a shot. If it doesn't work out like you planned it, it's not the end. This could be an opportunity to test yourself and grow from the experience even if it ultimately isn't for you. Seems like this dream acted as a mirror for what is currently going on with you. Whatever you decide to do, good luck! ;)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 25 Dec 2013 01:47

HAGART wrote:If you are dreaming about normal, everyday stuff that tends to happen in real life there is no major cue to tip you off and make you realize.

Au contraire, mon amie, I seem to become lucid more often when in situations of normality. I usually become lucid in my house, with my family, doing something stupid like preparing dinner... Perhaps it's because I only remember to check my reality when in normal situations. To my dismay, I've noticed that, when something abnormal occurs in my waking life, I don't reality check ... I don't think of it.
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 25 Dec 2013 17:28

That makes sense. Sometimes abnormality is too distracting or we often have a tendency to justify it. It's like we tell ourselves, "It didn't happen before but now it does, so what, it's natural."

The trouble is that in waking life we are surrounded by normality all the time and only perform reality checks surrounded by it when we're awake.

It's no surprise then that, at one point, when I noticed I was using the loo a lot in dreams, and decided to do reality checks everytime nature called in waking life, I began to become lucid very often - and almost always in dream bathroom environments...

Because I paid attention to real world toilets, this habit was carried into my dreams. My mind demanded a high level of consciousness when presented with W.C environments. I reminded myself that nothing out of the ordinary happens when I use the toilet. If it did, I was dreaming. The dream world was not able to get away with anomalies in bathroom scenarios.

Anomalies meant "aha" moments. Be a dream detective. We must remind ourselves that anomalies are associated with dreams. The trouble is that sometimes we believe anomalies have begun to happen in real life...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 28 Dec 2013 01:32

I stand corrected and I think you guys are right.
I have some experiences to support it.
Those 'almost like waking life dreams' can be platforms for a lucid dream.
I'm never afraid to admit I'm wrong. :D
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 29 Dec 2013 18:36

Well I wasn't exactly saying you're wrong. That's just how it works with me. :mrgreen:
Lucid dreaming isn't always black and white, I think.
Well said.

Return to “Share Your Non-Lucid Dreams”