If you believe in afterlife, what do you think it will be?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

Re: If you believe in afterlife, what do you think it will b

Postby torakrubik » 29 Dec 2013 23:39

Summerlander wrote:Ahh! Gotcha.

So you're saying this consciousness is something that can possibly be detected or measured rather than just being some illusion?

I definitely wouldn't rule it out.

You make some good points. It is indeed difficult to speculate much more about the conciousness without defining it properly, though that is easier said than done!

Until now I had not considered the 'roots' of conciousness, but I suppose assuming they exist in this physical universe is a necessary, albeit major assumption I must make to fit in with my earlier argument. Hmmm, the more I think about this the more mind bending it becomes!
Dreaming is my drug

Re: If you believe in afterlife, what do you think it will b

Postby Summerlander » 30 Dec 2013 03:11

It is a pickle, a great puzzle, definitely one of the biggest mysteries...

Mind-bending...you can say that again. Thankfully enough, the esprit de corps amongst scientific teams isn't scarce when tackling the problem (although sometimes I do think they get too carried away with physical correlates while overlooking the very definition). Perhaps scientists and philosophers need to come together for a coherent answer.

A set of neurons firing at the same time may coincide with the emergence of consciousness, but, it doesn't actually define it nor does it tell us why it emerges. Perhaps we can never look at it directly.

While we look for real answers, however, we can dispense with codswallop related to spiritual fancies. The point I've been making all along is that excogitations such as "souls" and "spirits" are not explanations for consciousness. They are copouts, which, apart from encouraging desistance from truth-seeking, actually aggravate the problem. We then are faced with questions about something hypothetical: How is the soul conscious? And we're back to zero... Occam's razor: We start out with what we know exists for sure (or as far as we can tell): the physical world.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”