I NEED HELP WITH WBTB!!

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Ender_brine

I NEED HELP WITH WBTB!!

Postby Ender_brine » 21 Dec 2013 04:51

Hi sorry for the dramatic title, but i really DO need help. WBTB is the easiest LD technique, yet has only worked ONCE for me. That was my first attempt. All other attempts end exactly the same: I initially go to bed at 10pm, sleep 6 hours until 4am, wake up at 4am, stay up and out of bed for about 30 minutes to an hour, then head back to sleep. Problem is, I can never actually fall asleep within the hour, which is the maximum time one should stay awake. My brain refuses to shut down for hours! When I finally DO fall asleep (hours later), I never have any LDs. Well, scratch that. Sometimes I have dreams that are "technically" lucid, but so fuzzy and forgettable that its almost as if I was having a regular dream ABOUT having a LD. (Make sense?) Someone told me to keep all lights off when i wake up at 4am, because light initiates the brain to wake up for the day. So a few nights ago, I did WBTB, and upon 4am, I kept all lights off, my phone on dim, and went outside into the cold, dark night to watch a meteor shower. Nice and dark. I go back to bed, and same thing! I can't fall asleep!

I am only in my teenage years. Does that play a role in my restlessness?My LD life, no, my overall dream life, has been really shoddy. I can't remember dreams very well, and I don't feel the need to write down fragments in my Dream Journal.

What should I do about my bad dream recall? And more importantly, what should I do about my WBTB dilema?
~All men, whilst they are awake, are in one common world...but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own.~
--Plutarch

HAGART

Re: I NEED HELP WITH WBTB!!

Postby HAGART » 22 Dec 2013 02:01

I find sleeping in helps with dream recall. If I wake up, and get up and go, it get's erased very quickly, compared to laying in bed reflecting about what just happened a moment ago and reliving it in my head. To get in the habit of that, start waking up 30 minutes earlier than you have to get up so you have a chance to lay in bed for a while. Some would consider that lazy, but it pays off and you should feel more refreshed and collected for the day.

As for the WBTB. Try staying in bed when you do it and don't get up, but you also don't want to risk rolling over and falling asleep again, (which happens to me all the time). So you need a balance where you wake up but not too much. Keep some water near your bed and take a drink just by reaching it. That should wake up your motor skills. Then try and solve a simple math puzzle or a trivia question to wake up your logical mind and waking memories respectively. Then go to sleep thinking, 'the next thing I do or see will be a dream'. You should even recall the dream you just had since it's fresh on your mind. If done fast enough, you can remain in a hazy dream stupor and fall asleep again rather quickly without you knowing it and have a DILD. I still have problems with WILD because it's a catch-22 trying to stay awake as you fall asleep.

A few days ago I tried to WILD, and I was in bed and kept taking sips of water because I was thirsty and kept trying to go back to sleep again. Then I WOKE UP! It was just a dream in which I was in bed thinking it was real! It finally worked and I had a lucid dream. But those vivid 'false trying-to-sleepenings' where already the 'phase state', and if that happens, at least you know you're on the right track.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Ender_brine

Postby Ender_brine » 22 Dec 2013 02:52

Thanks,you seem pretty helpful! Well last night I did my normal WBTB routine, but after a few minutes I decided to just lay at the base of my bed to rest, but not actually fall asleep. Well I then found myself wakin up in the same spot! Apparently I had suddenly fallen into a dreamless sleep. It was odd. Anyway I will try it your way. Thanks!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
~All men, whilst they are awake, are in one common world...but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own.~
--Plutarch

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 Dec 2013 03:44

That's a good approach. Don't try to sleep. Just try to rest for a while after WBTB, and since it is night and before REM dream sleep, it will be a LONG NAP! But with a basic awareness of waking reality we tend to dream about it. The body goes to sleep because that's what it is use to, (it's a creature of habit), but our minds stay mentally alert because we forced it to with a WBTB. (Now, exactly what should you do when you wake back to bed?...)

I never guarantee success and I am no expert.
But my suggestion is worth a try. I don't do my own technique every night, but I should. I should practice what I preach. I think I might be on to something. But still, always keep in mind, even if you try, there will be failures most of the time. But as long as you stay open and ready for it, it will happen sometimes. (At least once a week for me)

For me in particular I can get out of bed and fall asleep within an hour, but you, Ender_brine, tend to wake up too much if you do. I was only thinking of your circumstances, but don't give up after one try. Sometimes it takes a month. After that, then maybe you should re-think your sleep habits and try something new. It never hurts to try though!

And try other things too. Never take one person's word for it, although I did have a good suggestion. One thing people say here, over and over again, is that everybody is different and we all need to find what works for us.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 30 Dec 2013 21:34

I had a similar problem with WBTB the other night-I got up at 5 for about 20 minutes and then seemed to spend hours trying to get back to sleep-apart from 1 moment where I thought I almost managed to WILD I didn't get back to sleep until 8!
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 31 Dec 2013 00:39

As HAGART said its about balance.

If staying awake that long is too much for you and causes you not to be able to go back to sleep, you need to lessen the time you are awake for before trying to go to sleep.

Dont persist on how you are currently doing it if its failing as you may end up developing sleep issues out of it.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 31 Dec 2013 14:24

yeah, normally I only stay up for 5-10 minutes, 20 minutes just made me wake up too much!
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”