Stuff that triggers lucidity and some that don't

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Highlander

Stuff that triggers lucidity and some that don't

Postby Highlander » 02 Jan 2014 13:40

It's funny how some weird stuff happens in my dreams that trigger my lucidity but a lot of weird stuff don't. I may be in a desert with pigs flying around while a snail is talking to me or whatever and i don't know that i'm dreaming. But, for example, if i try to talk and my mouth doesn't move or nothing comes out of it, i know that i'm dreaming. I guess i have to train my awareness a lot. Is that it?
Many of you might have a great sense of awareness to know right away that you're dreaming. I read Robert Waggoner's book and in most of his dreams, the different color of a door knob or a shorter hair of a friend is enough for him to have lucidity. Very simple stuff.
I still don't have that sensitivity, that ease to trigger my lucidity, but i do have some elements that trigger my lucidity right away. They are:
-unable to speak (paralyzed mouth or having no sound)
-being with people and then, all of a sudden, they disappear
-cannot find anyone
-a door too small or too narrow for me to pass through
-fire multiple shots at very close range to kill a DC and nothing happens to him

Those are my dream signs. Again, it's funny how weirder stuff doesn't make me lucid. Do you have this also? How can i improve this? And, by the way, what are your "lucidity triggers"?

Peter

Re: Stuff that triggers lucidity and some that don't

Postby Peter » 02 Jan 2014 19:43

Its always different and as for RC's I dont like them as they if you at the point of doing a RC then you are lucid. A lot of the time I dont bother with a RC and have a fair amount of spontaneous lucids. I still struggle for consistency and for this reason like WILD but they are hit and miss.

The better way I feel is to try everything and keep thinking about how to get lucid and think about the inner awareness that is also you to engage a little deeper with yourself. Also imagine as much as you can, role play in your mind and let it wander whenever it wants so (in safe places) as its the inner senses or lack of senses that you want to activate. Anytime you create an image in your mind you are setting up an inner world and that has to be helpful
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 02 Jan 2014 21:21

This has made me wonder what has triggered it for me, so I went through my dream journal for November 2013 and made a list of them all, and can quote from it. I only listed 7 DILD's. I'm curious too. What are my dream signs, and lucid cues? Maybe there are similarities others can relate to.

1. I only remember after waking up in the morning that earlier in the night there was a brief lucid dream that I didn't remember. The only thing I did remember was "thinking to myself, why all of a sudden I am lucid now. What triggered it?" (Goes to show that even I don't know sometimes.)

2. I was at an airport or station of some kind and I had marijuana in my bag. I was trying to find a place to hide it, and I was worried security dogs would come and smell it. "In true dream fashion, two German Shepherd's showed up"..."I said [to my friend], 'when they get close that's when I'll just wake up to get out of here.'" Then it clicked. (I was aware of the 'Murphy's Law' of dreams. What can go wrong usually does.)

3. I was reading something on paper. "One was a symbol like a cross with loops at the top three points. I looked away and then back again and they were slightly different. I then realized I was dreaming, but still thought I was awake. I tried to explain to mom and my words where muddled, but I finally got it out. I told her I was lucid dreaming now even when awake. She said, I know, as if I was drunk and making a fool of myself." (I was aware of the loss of reading abilities in dreams)

4. "I was going to leave outdoors and the doorway was a bit like a store, with two doors and an area between them. I thought to myself, I'm going to be lucid later. Then I thought, why don't I be lucid now? Then I was, so I walked outside." (I went to sleep thinking I would become lucid later).

5. I was dissociated and starting to view the dream like a movie or a story I am not a part of and creating my own story. "Outside, I started to think of a police officer who would talk someone down from a building like a negotiator. He would meet the guy outside in the parking lot, then tell them to go to the roof to talk and then arrest him up there for being on the roof! I thought it was a genius comedy sketch. I walked in through a door and was now LUCID" It was nonsense, but seemed so funny at the time. (I was dissociated, but when I became associated again, that must have triggered it).

6. I didn't eat much during the day and was in a dream eating a sandwich and thinking how good it was to finally get something to eat. (Reminded me of my waking life self being hungry and that there is a difference between 'there' and 'here' in the dream).

7. I wanted something, but it was too far to reach so I just used 'The Force' to draw it to my hand. Then I started to show off to my brother and cousin, (still not lucid). "I was showing my skills willing things to my hand. They were mostly lego pieces and one I think was a white satellite dish. I wasn't fully lucid and still thought I had the power in reality. Each time I tried though, I would miss catching it and it would go too far to the left. By the third time I corrected for that and caught it, anticipating it would be further left." Then I walked outdoors, and was lucid. (I move objects in lucid dreams all the time, so it reminded me of my lucid dreams).
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Guitar48300

Postby Guitar48300 » 03 Jan 2014 02:02

Twice last month I became lucid because I planted my own dreamsign, found it in the dream and became lucid. I did it by saying "Next time I see _______, I will be lucid" before dream #1 and "I am lucid"(while paying attention to the darkness under my eyes)" before dream #2. I'm still trying this but I cant seem to get the dreamsign to appear anymore.
Roxas: Did you have fun chatting with the ghosts?
Sora: You shouldn't call them "ghosts". Sure something seemed a little off but I'm sure they're still my friends

-KH Re:coded
xat.com/luciddreamers if anyone wants to use it

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Jan 2014 12:55

95% or more of my LDs where Ive just waken up in a dream, Ive no idea what triggered doing that. It seems like I just woke up just like one wakes up in real life yet it was just waking up to find I was in a LD and doing something.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 03 Jan 2014 16:02

I just woke up from a dream in which I should have become lucid but wasn't.

I was in a car driving off the off-ramp of a highway at night. I passed a place where I was suppose to drop off a bag of garbage so I backed up, against on coming traffic. (Already absurd and I never drop off garbage like that, but I rationalized that it was too cold out to walk, so backing up made the most sense). At first there was nobody behind me, but I was worried I was doing something wrong, and you guessed it, as soon as I thought that, I saw a police car drive by ahead of me and one passed around me from behind and narrowly missed a truck. I got out and saw my mother and her van parked, but the van was starting to roll back down a hill because she forgot to put the parking break on. I watched it roll down and crash, and she was frantic. A crowd of spectators began to form, and I told them, 'It's totalled!' I thought, this is so crazy, I hope it's a dream even though I knew for a fact it was real. I could just feel that it was real. I did a quick reality check anyway by looking at my hands, but saw nothing odd. I reminded myself that reality checks sometimes don't work, and although it feels real, it may not be. I was too frenzied to do another check and just thought to myself how surreal life can be at times during major accidents and reality can feel like a dream sometimes. Man, I wish it was all just a dream.....

Then I woke up. D'oh!, :x and yet, Yay! :D
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 12 Jan 2014 23:48

The other day I had a dream which had some dream awareness was triggered, but it actually didnt trigger my waking consciousness still.

It was triggered by me running from something scary and I was trying to figure out what to do. Then I realise "oh Im dreaming, I shouldnt be running as Im dreaming". My dream changed to dreaming I was having a lucid dream thou it wasnt still Me (my waking conciousness wasnt there) so I wasnt in fact lucid, just dreaming I'd become lucid and was.

sighs.. one wonders how one can dream one is lucid but have that not actually trigger off lucidity but anyway that's what happened. I was still in my dream awareness but my dream awareness was just being smart.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”