Has this anything to do with WILD's??

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
LucidPotter

Has this anything to do with WILD's??

Postby LucidPotter » 03 Jan 2012 13:57

Hi :)

I'm still a newbie here, and although I have been reading about LDs for quite some time now (since last summer!) , I am still not achieving any LDs at all. But I have do a question; Before I go to sleep (I mean like as I am lying there) I start having mini dreams that come in short bursts. They aren't like the usual type, usually involving me in some sort of way, instead, It's like I'm watching a movie. The clips aren't related at all, they are really quite random and make no sense at all. I also find it hard to remember them because they only last for a couple of seconds and they happen just as I am about to drop off. What I want to know is; has this got anything to do with the WILD technique?? I have tried it once before, but it never worked for me and I never found myself seeing anything and the only signs of sleep paralysis I felt was numbness in my hands. So, has this anything to do with WILDs?? And does this happen to anyone else??

Thanks for your time :)
"Of course it's been happening inside your head,Harry, but why on earth would that mean that it is not real?" {Albus Dumbledore}.

lucidinthe sky

Re: Has this anything to do with WILD's??

Postby lucidinthe sky » 03 Jan 2012 17:41

I experience this stage with every WILD, I even have tried to become lucid in more than one of these mini-dreams as you called them. Even though I was lucid, the dreams weren't deep enough and just disappeared. In many of my unsuccessful WILD attempts, I stay at this level of dreams because I am probably trying too hard and I end up staying aware, but getting into deep enough sleep.

For me the dreams get progressively deeper and I haven't been able to maintain my awareness between this lighter dream stage and the deeper dreams which can be lucid dreams. My successes with WILDs have been when I keep my awareness very close to the point where the dreams get deep, then wake up in the deep dream and realize I'm dreaming. The best I've done on this was on Christmas morning when I followed this light level of dreams as far as I could and the gap was almost an instant and I was in a very real, full color hi-definition dream. I was able to go lucid immediately and none of the dream was wasted.

I still have a long way to go in perfecting the technique though. The key seems to be the right balance between maintaining awareness and letting go, both are necessary for success.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Postby Peter » 03 Jan 2012 18:24

just keep looking or observing the short film type dreams and at some stage you will just fall into one and be lucid. Dont force it as that will drive them away (change you focus and you will lose the state)
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 07 Jan 2012 19:01

I believe you are seeing HYPNAGOGIC imagery. There's information about it on this very website.

And it IS a way to use the WILD technique. I read about it at this website: http://www.dreamviews.com/wiki/HIT-Hypnagogic-Imagery-Technique

Sounds simple, but I have never been able to do it.

I have gone lucid from the hypnagogic state before, but the only way I got there in the first place was when a lucid dream ended, went black, and I refused to wake up. I saw many images flashing before my eyes, about as fast as a strobe light. A car, a stapler, a pirate... all random. You know when you stare at something and then close your eyes and you see an 'after image' burned on your retinas. They look like that. Not crystal clear, but like looking at clouds, they resemble something, and your brain does the rest. I assume because it's the vision section of the brain that is going haywire creating it. Then finally one image remained still but it was in black and white. It looked like a convenience store widow, covered with decals, and ads. Then a second later, like someone flicking on a light switch, BOOM! It was in color, a sorta hypercolor. I got the feeling I could turn around and I did. I was back in the same city I was in from the previous dream. It was like a 'back to back' lucid dream.

I've never been able to go from awake to dream, and remain conscious the whole time though. It is certainly possible, and that would be wild.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 08 Jan 2012 13:32

Yes, they are related to WILDs- the first step of one. Forget about experiencing or inducing SP. These dream images have an intensity or lack there of related to how tired the body is. If your body is not tired at all you'll get static images, even though you'll be able to "see" them it will be like staring at an object. To even get to the point of movies ones body needs to be tired normally, as the faster one forgets it the better these NREM dreams will be. You may or may not be able to do things at this state.

I think it depends mainly on incubation whether one can do things in this state. I've studied/ practiced math; foreign languages; or continued dream games of games I was concentrating a lot on during the day, e.g. the first was Pacman the latest was grand theft auto San Andreas; I've also entered or watched the sets of music videos or movies. It's pretty rare to have a non-incubated dream that one enters into as an actor/avatar at this stage. You can pull yourself out of these dreams by opening your eyes or moving quickly- about the same as when watching TV when one also often forgets oneself and body.

The next stage is a dream image inspired by muscle atonia, followed almost instantly by Rem dreams that are normally much more active, vivid and emotions typically come into play at this point. Even though one has retained unbroken consciousness to this point one is normally sucked in and thinks for a moment that the dream is real and then you have an oh duh moment when you realize it's a dream.

After your REM dream(s) you'll always enter a REM nightmare(s). Unfortunately these will also be more vivid, complex and emotionally intense than NREM dreams. One normally can't just wake up at will in the the REM dream/nightmare stages and it's very hard to control the emotions you'll be experiencing in them. In the case of nightmares you can be trapped in them with more intense terror than you ever experience while awake.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Peter

Postby Peter » 08 Jan 2012 19:32

After your REM dream(s) you'll always enter a REM nightmare(s). Unfortunately these will also be more vivid, complex and emotionally intense than NREM dreams. One normally can't just wake up at will in the the REM dream/nightmare stages and it's very hard to control the emotions you'll be experiencing in them. In the case of nightmares you can be trapped in them with more intense terror than you ever experience while awake

Are you talking about the early stages of a dream life here?, Nightmares dont really exist for me in the sense that they did in the early years but now I state them as events that cause me to take control of the dream or dont let the horrors take over.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 08 Jan 2012 23:36

Snaggle wrote:After your REM dream(s) you'll always enter a REM nightmare(s).

Is that true for everyone? Always?
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “For Beginners”