Does Your Sub-Conscience Not Want You To Lucid Dream?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Xtreme_Walrus

Does Your Sub-Conscience Not Want You To Lucid Dream?

Postby Xtreme_Walrus » 02 Jan 2014 18:56

Okay, so I was in a Non-Lucid dream the other day and I was running on the freeway. Apparently there were bombs planted on the freeway so I got off onto some city road. I was downtown on the way to the library for some reason and thought to myself, "man my legs feel really weird, I should probably reality check" So right as I was doing the reality check I tripped and fell down a hill. When I got to the bottom I totally forgot about the reality check. So my question is does your sub-conscience not want you to lucid dream?
"I woke up in between a memory and a dream" -Tom Petty

Peter

Re: Does Your Sub-Conscience Not Want You To Lucid Dream?

Postby Peter » 02 Jan 2014 19:38

Its your sub conscience so the question could be what are you doing to prevent yourself to lucid dream. Really it takes practice and effort and for me anyway there is never a point where its consistent.

Just keep at it and retrain your SC
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 04 Jan 2014 04:00

Peter wrote:Its your sub conscience so the question could be what are you doing to prevent yourself to lucid dream. Really it takes practice and effort and for me anyway there is never a point where its consistent.

Just keep at it and retrain your SC

Hi there Peter. I'm interested in your idea of 'retraining' the SC. Your idea compels me. I have always taken information from my SC to retrain my waking mind, which in turn i can reflect back to my SC. It's like all relationships, a complicated mirror, but essentially, loving :D What you are saying somehow turns this around...interested to know more on your ideas.

Xtreme-Walrus i think this is a great question. I don't see LD'ing as superior to the unconscious dream state. Perhaps ... oh ... perhaps i feel we are exploring something vital here regarding LD'ing .... yes i think the body blocks us sometimes to opening up to new possibilities...or from an ancient transient state that has been perhaps suppressed by intervention of the rational...i have other ideas that perhaps sometimes we need to be deeply unconscious to apply resolution to the psyche...but equally we know this is not always possible, especially in light of post-traumatic stress disorders...and various mental health problems...and...well...just the freedom to enter the doorway of the unconscious consciously. Just keep doing the dream work. And keep knowing that we are like an iceburg. The tip of our consciousness peeps out of the vast ocean, but the majority of us lies beneath the surface. I'm happy to be directed by what's at large. But i'm particularly fascinated by the conversation that happens at the meeting point. Thus re-membering the whole. Like Peter says, it's your SC. But the ocean is vast and collective...just throwing out some ideas ;)

Peter

Postby Peter » 04 Jan 2014 07:58

Hi there Peter. I'm interested in your idea of 'retraining' the SC. Your idea compels me. I have always taken information from my SC to retrain my waking mind, which in turn i can reflect back to my SC. It's like all relationships, a complicated mirror, but essentially, loving :D What you are saying somehow turns this around...interested to know more on your ideas.

Put the post above so I dont get way off subject.

Its not that deep and meaning full as the comment relates to the post where X-Treme say does you SC not want you to LD.
I dont give the SC the an identity as such and see it as a tool and really our consciousness as a tool overall. Out SC or C in general is a tool that I feel can be trained so the first step is to think that you can give it orders or requests and expect them to be understood, accepted and then acted on.
I cant really give any useful advice as at this stage I am forming up ideas on how easily bridge the gap to becoming lucid. I like WILD's as you are either lucid or not and it obvious from the start but still have plenty of DILD's so its a mixture.
I think having a LD with WILD should be as easy as waking up as each awakening in the morning is the same as a lucid induction as we come from one state to another and most likely do more reality checks in the morning in the hope that we are still asleep and dreaming.
How to train you SC or imprint it, dwell on all successes and forget failures as far as dreaming goes. Work on recall and think about dreams during the day to keep the link going. Use you imagination a lot and activate the inner senses this way.
Some thoughts and keen to get yours and see what we can conjure up
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 04 Jan 2014 18:39

I thought of a good analogy:

A dream is like a wave of water that we try to surf. If we are unconscious we just flop around and are at it's mercy, but we can still remember the ride most of the time. When we are conscious and lucid, we are riding a surf board. We can choose left or right, do tricks, and ride it. We can wipe out and loose consciousness, or we can ride it all the way to the end and wake up. But we are still at the wave's mercy and it is the force driving the dream forward.

But realize this: It was not an ocean, but a wave pool in a water park that generates waves. Now awake on the shore, you can run back behind the scenes, and tinker with the gears and alter how the next set of waves will form in the following ride. But once it starts, whether from the beginning (WILD), or half way (DILD), the wave is the main force pushing you.

But I think you can alter it. I believe it's possible to train the subconscious and leave imprints on it. Repetition is the key. If I do something over and over again, I tend to dream about it. So if you think something over and over again, that should leave an imprint on the subconscious too. And the waves will be different as a result.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 06 Jan 2014 23:09

Just thought i'd add this quote from my reading today from Charlie Morley's 'Dreams of Awakening':

'Why would our egoic sense of self do this?' (sabotage our lucidity when on the cusp of it) 'Because it feels threatened by lucidity. Once we are lucid we see through the illusion of our egoic sense of self and become part of the dream beyond the notions of me, I, my, and 'other.' We are in fact one with everything in the dream and so the stranglehold of the egoic self is released.To prevent this, out of misjudged desperation it sometimes tries to stop us being lucid.'

So yes, not perhaps the unconscious, more the ego trying to rationalise the dream or perhaps trying to sabotage lucidity...the ego is a massive fan of sabotage in general lol :D

Yeh not so into the idea of using my unconscious as a 'tool', I like it's slippery ever moving ungraspable nature - and - it is by nature, deep (and meaningful if you want to work in that way, which i do) But i know where you are coming from. I guess the brush is the tool and the painting is the dream and as all great artists know, once you start using the brush, the painting takes on a life of it's own. Like a lucid dream, we may have ideas that we want to portray on the canvas, and to some extent, create them, but the result is always surprising and the imagination always more powerful then the ego.

I'm not a painter btw. I'm just chucking in another analogy. Just like Hagart did. Cool Haggart i like it. I'm done now. :D

Peter

Postby Peter » 07 Jan 2014 00:58

Just thought i'd add this quote from my reading today from Charlie Morley's 'Dreams of Awakening':

'Why would our egoic sense of self do this?' (sabotage our lucidity when on the cusp of it) 'Because it feels threatened by lucidity. Once we are lucid we see through the illusion of our egoic sense of self and become part of the dream beyond the notions of me, I, my, and 'other.' We are in fact one with everything in the dream and so the stranglehold of the egoic self is released.To prevent this, out of misjudged desperation it sometimes tries to stop us being lucid

Being harsh it sounds like BS to me, an evasive statement that makes people feel good about failure and puts tasks into right or wrong. Its part correct to my way of thinking and then very wrong as well. I see the link to getting lucid as a switch but many paths and opportunities rather that something allowing me access but yes it does seem that way a lot of the time.

I succeed as much as I fail but it is ME that succeeds or fails and thats why I say the SC it a tool. I dont give it power to dictate to me but each time I get there I think about how and what I did and have one more tiny bit of information to use.

blazing

Postby blazing » 10 Jan 2014 00:17

One time I was going to do a Reality Check and someone killed me....

MarkN

Postby MarkN » 10 Jan 2014 04:38

Actually Charlie Morley's comments resonate with me. I don't see them as a right/wrong moral argument at all, but as a statement that does seem to be verifiable by most people's experience. As others have pointed out, our SC (or other factor) does seem to impede lucidity very regularly. Look at how many folks struggle (including me) to get easily lucid - it is a challenging journey.

It seems our evolved (or created) self, as it developed, purposefully created the divide between the SC an C with the intention that it was "best" for us to be thus divided. Perhaps in the same way a democracy - in spite of its shortcomings- is always better than a totalitarian state, because it keeps things in balance.

I'm not suggesting that striving for lucidity is right or wrong, and I'll continue on my own quest. The only "rule" I'm setting for myself is to be cautious to not become TOO introspective, as this is not helpful for most people - and indeed a danger for some people. Keeping connected to reality, family and friends is always a healthy counterbalance. Anyway, it is for me at least! :)

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”