On The Phone To The Subconscious

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
Summerlander

On The Phone To The Subconscious

Postby Summerlander » 07 Jan 2014 00:03

Date: 03/01/2014
Method of entry: indirect method
Bedtime: 2.00 am
Awakening: 7.15 am
Return to bed: 7.30
Attempt: successful
Phase experience: on the phone to the subconscious (originally written in the present tense and edited for this site)

I went to bed around 2am and woke up at 7.15am. I read about lucid dreaming and reviewed my oneiric programme. As I relaxed, I imagined lucidly entering the dream world and picking up a telephone to communicate with my subconscious mind or inner self. I fell asleep with the intention to reach the phase state, and, once I caught an awakening, I succeeded in separating from the perceived body stencil. Darkness surrounded me and I tried to deepen the phase state by rubbing my hands together, touching walls, palpating objects, and running my fingers along the floor while attempting to peer into it. Still, all I saw was darkness. My orientation was telling me that I’d just stepped out of my bedroom and into the hallway. I felt like my eyes were glued shut and my eyelids blocked a well-lighted environment. I rubbed my eyes to no avail and then remembered that this seldom works in getting rid of duskiness in lucid dreams. I started rubbing my hands together instead and a vivid house interior came into view. I returned to my bedroom expecting to find a phone on one of the bedside cabinets in order to converse with a subconscious voice. No phone was found. Instead, I saw jewellery boxes and tinsel. I fouled. A lucid dream re-entry attempt failed and I ended up falling asleep.

I dreamt about smoking rolled up cigarettes with my wife (I’m an ex-smoker and my wife has never smoked before). At one point, we went to bed and I discovered that there was already another Stacey there, apparently asleep. I realised I was dreaming and the Stacey who was awake pulled me into bed with her. This seemed to cause me to feel my sleeping body stencil and almost foul. I resisted the pulling force and separated. It was dark and I palpated my dream body in order to deepen the phase state. I could see my toes clearly and could also see that I wore strange pyjamas. Tactility was still superior to vision and I went downstairs in the semi-darkness. Christmas decorations were up like in the real world. The lucid dream began to evanesce and I excited the sense of touch by groping dream objects, lingering on a tiny gold-framed portrait of a strange face on a living-room wall. The environment became ultra-vivid nearby but somewhat darker outside a perimeter of a few feet away from me. I rushed back upstairs, stomping the floor, and demanding clarity as I had my plan to communicate with the subconscious firmly in mind. The bedroom was murky so I pressed the light switch but it didn’t work. I rubbed my hands together and demanded pellucidity. Subsequently, the dream world became bright and clear.

There was a massive red telephone (nonexistent in the real world) on my wife’s bedside cabinet. I picked it up and started pacing up and down with it in order to preserve the lucid dream. A few feet away from me, a dream character resembling Stacey milled about. (Later, in the waking state, I wondered if this character was indicative of another step in my plan of action which had also been on my mind: the deck of cards experiment which involves my wife’s assistance.) With a strong expectation to converse with my subconscious, I began to speak firmly with the red mouthpiece near my lips. The following dialogue took place between me and a telephonic voice which was eerily similar to my father’s and lent the impression of my future, older self:

Me: “I’d like to speak to my subconscious.”

Telephonic voice: “Subconscious?”

Me: “Yes please.”

Telephonic voice: “Okay.”

Me: “Can you tell me something important?”

Telephonic voice: [Mumbles incoherently and almost inaudibly]

Me: “Can you say it louder? Louder please! Tell me something important.”

Telephonic voice: “Your mother is the best mother in the world.”

Me: “Okay.” [Expecting more]

Telephonic voice: “And tell your wife to relax and not worry so much.”

Me: “Okay.”

Telephonic voice: “She’s doing a great job. Tell her to relax or she will destroy herself.”

Me: “Okay. Thank you.”

I fouled and woke up. It was 8.10am. I jotted the experience down in my journal and began to ponder about the dialogue between me and what I took to be my subconscious. Recalling the part where the voice mumbled, I began to wonder if my mind was taking its time assessing its content in terms of importance. But why not have an answer pronto? (After all, the subconscious has had plenty of time to be ready since the act of asking the question of importance was previously planned, in the waking state, prior to the lucid dream.) Unless it answers to such specific requests only when the lucid dreamer stimulates a response with a question or demand. This implies a chain reaction within the mind and seems to go against the notion that there is an autonomous subconscious entity, an inner self so to speak, within all of us.

The voice’s remark about my mother is probably a lovely and convenient hyperbole that I would like to remind myself of every once in a while. My mother is getting older and will soon become a shadow of her former self, so I think it is important that I remember her when she was at her finest. The advice about my wife is more or less what I tell her every now and then, especially when she stresses about things. The part where she could destroy herself is a little dramatic and not something that I would blurt out (at least consciously by the looks of it). Overall, it seems to me that, on this particular occasion, my subconscious didn’t have anything new to express. At least not new to me. Perhaps I already know what is important to me in my life.

Phase state = Hybrid state which compounds wakefulness and dreaming, i.e. lucid dreams, out-of-body experiences, false awakenings, etc.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Goldkoron

Re: On The Phone To The Subconscious

Postby Goldkoron » 07 Jan 2014 03:07

How has nobody responded to this yet. This is very interesting, thanks for sharing Summerlander. I had a dream last night where I was speaking to my subconscious, but I cannot remember what about. I really need to journal my dreams.
Do a reality check

Xtreme_Walrus

Postby Xtreme_Walrus » 07 Jan 2014 03:14

Very cool, I have never thought of using a phone to talk to your sub-conscience. Thanks.
"I woke up in between a memory and a dream" -Tom Petty

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 07 Jan 2014 07:59

This was interesting and I like to hear dream dialogues.

Phones are interesting in lucid dreams. The first time, I was in a vivid lucid dream and the phone rang out of the blue! I was hesitant, but knew I would regret not picking it up so I did. I asked if it was my subconscious and a child's voice said, 'yes'. Then it spoke words without any sentence structure that I couldn't remember. (For example, "Tree, here, picnic table, bird, television, around......"). I asked it what I should do with my life and it stopped and I waited for a profound response. I paced around with the phone against my ear, moving to stay lucid, and finally it responded. It said...."I don't know!" :lol: :?

Another time, I chose to make the call, but the same thing happened with the jumbled sentences. Like your conversation the voice too was very quiet at times and I could barely hear it. I looked at the side of the phone and there was a sort of volume switch, but distorted in true dream fashion. It had a "+" symbol on it so I pressed it, to make the voice louder, but it didn't work, and I had to concentrate to hear the voice speaking incoherently most of the time, but catching a few meaningful sentences here and there. He sounded like Vincent Price, and I would ask him to clarify and say something over again, but he got angry at me and said 'I just wasn't listening to him!' I thought that was funny.

I should try this again sometime. They are kind of like stray thoughts in our heads that we don't consciously make because they surprise us with their unpredictability. At least that's what it seems like. I've been noticing that I have a lot of stray thoughts I was unaware of as I lay in bed drifting to sleep. Unless our subconscious is truly an awareness with a different perspective separate from our own without full access to the language center of our brains hence the funny word choices and sentence structure. I actually don't know, and need to make a few lucid phone calls to find out...
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 08 Jan 2014 01:10

Thanks for the replies guys. Documenting your dreams will defo help, Gold. Glad I inspired you, Xtreme. Thanks for sharing your personal experience, Hagart. We should definitely experiment more with this.

When it comes to dream characters, if they are incoherent, I tend to demand sense or I just find another who can be coherent and hold a conversation.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 08 Jan 2014 13:22

Wow. Excellent idea for a task. I will definitely try this.

Summerlander wrote:Me: “Can you tell me something important?”
Telephonic voice: [Mumbles incoherently and almost inaudibly]
Me: “Can you say it louder? Louder please! Tell me something important.”

This happens to me all the time. When i ask something to a DC, i have to make him/her repeat and talk louder because they talk fast and lower. Why is that?

Summerlander wrote:The part where she could destroy herself is a little dramatic

I had some dramatic answers from DC's, like when a DC told me that 2014 will be a bad year for me, or the time where a DC carrying a coffin through a funeral walk and he said that if i do not take care, this will happen to me.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 08 Jan 2014 18:28

Highlander wrote:a DC carrying a coffin through a funeral walk and he said that if i do not take care, this will happen to me.

That sounds dreadful! Becoming a pall-bearer like him! Those things are heavy! ;) :lol: (Depends on how you interpret it.)

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 08 Jan 2014 18:30

HAGART wrote:That sounds dreadful! Becoming a pall-bearer like him! Those things are heavy! ;) :lol: (Depends on how you interpret it.)

No. Not a pall-bearer. He was pointing to the dead guy in the coffin.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 12 Jan 2014 08:05

I really enjoy reading dream dialogues, thanks

But why not have an answer pronto? (After all, the subconscious has had plenty of time to be ready since the act of asking the question of importance was previously planned, in the waking state, prior to the lucid dream.) Unless it answers to such specific requests only when the lucid dreamer stimulates a response with a question or demand. This implies a chain reaction within the mind and seems to go against the notion that there is an autonomous subconscious entity, an inner self so to speak, within all of us.

Sounds like like with the hesitating and that, you actually werent connected deeply to your subconciousness, more like your own thoughts were influencing this dream a lot. eg you didnt know the answer to something so experienced a hesitation in getting an answer back.

Ive found that when I manage (not often, just occassionally) to connect at that deep consciousness level/the inner self.. which is beyond our surface thoughts that the answers will be coming as fast as one forms the question... its like I dont have the time to say my question and the answer has already hit. Its kind of weird experience.. like it knows things before you do..eg knows what you are about to ask. I'll get only half the question out in my thoughts before I have the answer.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Jan 2014 18:12

I find lucid dream dialogue fascinating too. I have no answers, but I think that we are conscious first and language comes second. In dreams we don't need words. I also think there are two halves to our consciousness and this is common knowledge when people discuss left and right brain perceptions. We all know it, but rarely discuss it. Emotion and logic will forever be in turmoil.

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”