How Good is Sub-Con Memory?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
MarkN

How Good is Sub-Con Memory?

Postby MarkN » 10 Jan 2014 05:08

When I was a kid, my Dad used to be a hypnotist.
He used to say that everything we did, experienced etc, could be remembered, as our sub-conscious kind of recorded it, I guess. He used this in his hypnotherapy.

My question is - just how good is our SC in remembering things accurately from the past, eg our early childhood?

Or is our SC just very good at confabulating, i.e. it creates our "memories" for us when we try to go back?

I would love to relive some childhood memories, and would love to hear some experiences from others!
Thank you!

torakrubik

Re: How Good is Sub-Con Memory?

Postby torakrubik » 11 Jan 2014 04:17

Short answer: Very good.

If we assume that the dream is generated by the subconscious, then all it takes is a glance at the staggering detail that can result to confirm this. Upon awakening, we can observe, with a clear mind, exactly how detailed the visuals we just saw were (for even slightly vivid dreams the scenery can be incredibly detailed). It appears that the subconscious has enormous capacity for storing sensory information.
Dreaming is my drug

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 12 Jan 2014 10:52

It can remember EVERYTHING. Thing is it may also tack onto memories things which arent true eg say a child may of been horribly abused in past, it can create false memories to protect the person emotionally from the past.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

MarkN

Postby MarkN » 12 Jan 2014 23:22

Thanks guys, that sounds promising!
I did have an early childhood experience that had a profound effect on me, and would love to understand it better. (Not an abuse thing, fortunately.)

It could have been a dream, or it may have been a real life experience - that's the thing - I can't remember! So I would love to find out, and I'm hoping lucid dreaming may hold the key.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Jan 2014 21:01

I have a feeling that everyone has a photographic memory, but for most of us we don't have access to it.
But if there is ever a way for me to experience it, I'm sure a lucid dream would be the answer. Even if I don't relive an experience or see it, perhaps a dream character would be able to tell me.
For example: I could ask, "What was the license plate on the car during the famous scene from Beverly Hills Cop when he puts the bananas in the tail pipe?" I haven't seen that movie in a while, although I must have seen it 10 times, and I couldn't even tell you if the license plate was even shown or not right now with the little access I have to memory when awake. But wouldn't it be amazing if the dream told me an answer and I verified it by watching the movie again? That would prove it to me that we all have a photographic memory and our subconscious records everything.

That is only one type of memory. Strong emotional memories are different. I too had an early childhood trauma I would like to relive. I was 5 and almost drowned in a swimming pool. I think it would be a powerful dream to experience that again and remember more of the details. The problem is, how do I know they are accurate or not?
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Vonozar

Postby Vonozar » 14 Jan 2014 22:35

I have lucid dreams with my grandpa in them quite often. He himself is EXACTLY as I remember, and sometimes I will play back scenes or memories from my past with him in them. Usually the memory is re-lived like I remember the memory occurring originally. But sometimes there are these small things that make me question if that really happened or if my subconscious is adding small details. That gets me confused. The subconscious definitely has the ability to store enormous amounts of information and memory, so it could very well be something I just forgot and now am re-living through the dream. But you also have to keep in mind that the dream is made primarily by your subconscious. You're just the navigator. Perhaps your subconscious wanted to show you something in it's own way, but you insisted on re-living a memory so it changed little things within the dream in order to still get some of that message in.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 15 Jan 2014 03:38

HAGART wrote: The problem is, how do I know they are accurate or not?

Ah, the eternal question.

I haven't thought about this much, but it seems impossible to verify. Anything that could confirm the validity of the memories could easily be generated fiction from the subconsciousness. There just seems no way of knowing.
Dreaming is my drug

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 02 Feb 2014 07:43

I finally had a lucid dream in which I remembered to try my experiment. I wanted to see if a dream character would tell me the license plate number from the classic scene from the movie, Beverly Hills Cop when Eddie Murphy puts the bananas in the tail pipe. (read earlier post for more details).

It didn't quite work, but here's the story:
I became lucid in a dream and there was a toy car with some action figures in it so I, for some reason, decided to talk to them. (This also proves you can talk to inanimate objects in the dream and hear them speak in your head which is basically like talking to your subconscious). I asked the first one, and spoke to it like holding a microphone :lol: I asked what the license plate was from the movie. I didn't specify which movie and felt no need because I had already rehearsed this dream in my head several times and DC's know your intentions without needing to explain. He gave me an answer. It was, "A steering wheel". :? :lol: Then he said, "It's pink". Not satisfied with that answer I put him back in the toy car and pulled out another one and held it and asked again. This time it had a female voice and I forget what it said, but it was nonsense and I had to ask it to say it again because I didn't understand. I got the feeling she didn't know so I put her back too.

Then I thought, why don't I meet Eddie Murphy and ask him directly. Almost instantly I spotted him in a crowd (not quite looking like him, but close enough), and so I asked him directly and this time mentioned the exact scene from the movie by name so there is no confusion. He then handed me a square-bottled liquor bottle filled with a pink booze. The bottle was clear with black lettering and I thought there might be a clue in there somewhere. I couldn't read it though and it seemed at the time to be French or German. I then decided to drink the liquid and see what that does. It had a smell like Gin, but tasted a little fruity.

Then the dream became very nonsensical after that (as if it wasn't already), and I lost lucidity. I've been lazy with my dream journal lately so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and post this here and then copy/paste it to my dream journal and start February right! (Although in one way my experiment failed it also proves to me that we can certainly talk to inanimate objects and they are responding the way any DC would. And "they" know our intentions and therefore ARE "us"... but still not completely... that's for another topic.)

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 03 Feb 2014 02:12

Did your experiment fail or did it succeed?
HAGART wrote:The bottle was clear with black lettering and I thought there might be a clue in there somewhere. I couldn't read it though and it seemed at the time to be French or German.

Maybe the clue was in the fact you couldn't read it? Just a thought?
HAGART wrote:I then decided to drink the liquid and see what that does. It had a smell like Gin, but tasted a little fruity.

Hmmm. Without wanting to get too analytical...perhaps the way we consume information is more important to the subconscious then the way we read it?

We already know that the subconscious in dreams struggles to read detailed information like digital alarm clocks or text. So perhaps the way we store childhood memory is though the taste, consistency (feel) of information, rather than through a detailed analogue. Memory is subjective. But i also think that MarkN's dad is tapping into a different way of recalling memory through hypnosis, rather than lucid dreaming. So i think both are possible. That we do have the capacity to remember detail through hypnosis, but lucid dreaming might be a more creative process...that perhaps we need both to re-member the whole. The detail of directly reliving an experience might be beneficial to remember...but the experience of processing it within the context of our own life story (as in lucid dreaming) might be beneficial to RE - member. Especially in terms of trauma, because trauma is so utterly subjective.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 03 Feb 2014 03:31

Even in the dream I knew reading is next to impossible, but I tried anyway. I think hypnosis and lucid dreaming are in the same ball park. I think (now) it was "irrationally logical" at the time to drink it and see if the memory would come to me but it didn't. (It just seemed like it would work at the time in an illogical world). So far I have proven that I do not have a subliminal, subconscious photographic memory, but it's too early to tell.

I noticed, 'pink' showed up twice in my dream and am bewildered by what that means. I should find that clip on YouTube and see if my recollection (made up memory) has anything to do with the actual, verifiable footage. I doubt it, but these topics overlap so much lately. That's the way our minds work.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”