The Universe :O

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Peter

Re: The Universe :O

Postby Peter » 13 Jan 2014 20:20

No matter how clever we think we are we can only take in information with out senses at the end of it all and then apply out clever minds to that information.

What tiny bit of information that could be perceived in a new way would rock our world and just change everything so what we know is not valid in anyway at all?

A good thought exercise to breed an open mind so let the ideas flow. I think we are trapped in a rather different reality and world that what we think we know.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 13 Jan 2014 22:16

It's true that we can only go by what we detect with our senses. Bt this has also taught us a great deal about how our reality behaves. (If it didn't we would not have improved our way of life with the wonders of technology.)

We shouldn't sell ourselves that short, Peter. The fact of the matter is, we do learn. We are more knowledgeable than ever before. And we also have machine that detect frequencies which cannot be naturally perceived by us. We have, in a sense, upgraded our scope.

Our perception may still be limited, but that is no reason to pretend that what comes from speculation or fancy has any truth and practical validity at all. I can only be certain as far as my eyes can see. Basic epistemology.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Peter

Postby Peter » 13 Jan 2014 22:38

Yes agree, I am not knocking science or condoning fantasy but saying we are doing a great job with the tools that we have and by default that places limits on what we can do and work out from that.

I take a simple fact like in nature a lot of systems are based on a vacuum or implosion, no heat generated and massive energy production for little waste but in our world we use explosion to generate energy.

Compare a star with a black hole and think of technology and then compare the forces in place.

I might be a little off with my examples but you will get what I mean in a general way
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 14 Jan 2014 00:21

I understand. We are inspired by nature but nature can still outdo us. We needn't even go as far as a black hole. While we have our puny robots and ludicrous "AI" nature has conceived the human brain, conscious in all its glory. But it has also had more time for such accomplishments. It needed time anyway, after all, it is only a "blind watchmaker."

With Moore's law in place, we may get there. We may also come to know more about the black hole to our advantage.

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 06 Feb 2014 11:15

Well i have completely lost track of what you are all saying, don't think i can process all that information aha. But, you don't have to reply to this, you can just keep discussing what is already being said, but anyways... I've read about the 'Wow!' signal. From what i understand, this signal was picked up by a radio telescope that records sounds picked up out in space. What i don't understand is is this saying that the telescope picked up an other worldly signal or like a ufo? Or is it just say a loud star exploding. Enlighten me please :D

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 06 Feb 2014 22:09

The "Wow!" signal, captured by Jerry Ehman, is far from conclusive. Ehman himself admits that the source could be terrestrial in origin due to interference. If it was a signal by an intelligent extraterrestrial civilisation in the constellation of Sagittarius, then the sender would have to be far more advanced than us because the emission would require a super powerful gigawatt transmitter. And even if the latter is true, we have to consider that the signal was first sent gazillions of years ago, which prompts us to ask the question: Are they still out there as a civilisation?

- Padmasambhava

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 07 Feb 2014 05:50

Summerlander wrote:The "Wow!" signal, captured by Jerry Ehman, is far from conclusive. Ehman himself admits that the source could be terrestrial in origin due to interference. If it was a signal by an intelligent extraterrestrial civilisation in the constellation of Sagittarius, then the sender would have to be far more advanced than us because the emission would require a super powerful gigawatt transmitter. And even if the latter is true, we have to consider that the signal was first sent gazillions of years ago, which prompts us to ask the question: Are they still out there as a civilisation?

Ahhh that's very interesting. I understand it more now :) That's disappointing knowing that it was a recording from SO LONG AGO due to further out you go in space the slower time is and stuff. We may never know what was recorded that day :cry: Hopefully it was something extraterrestrial tho, Proof there's other life out there! Do we have much proof of other life out in space nowadays?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 07 Feb 2014 11:35

The further away you look in space the further back in time you go. Amino acids have been found in meteors and comets so it is feasible that life developed elsewhere since measurements also tell us the universe is pretty much uniform everywhere.

In the vast expanse of space, with so many Earth-like planets, it is not hard to imagine that life formed, even if only in microbial form. Those that have animal and plant life are probably rarer as complex life demands time for evolution and the right orbital coordinates too.

Even rarer are those planets that have endured long enough to have evolved enough life complexity to propagate intelligent and highly advanced civilisations.

Earth could be a needle in a haystack. So far, we have found no evidence of intelligent life on other worlds. The "Wow!" signal just wasn't compelling enough as terrestrial factors couldn't be ruled out. I'd imagine that today SETI is sophisticated enough to weed out terrestrial interference.

- Padmasambhava

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 10 May 2014 09:03

Summerlander wrote:The further away you look in space the further back in time you go. Amino acids have been found in meteors and comets so it is feasible that life developed elsewhere since measurements also tell us the universe is pretty much uniform everywhere.

In the vast expanse of space, with so many Earth-like planets, it is not hard to imagine that life formed, even if only in microbial form. Those that have animal and plant life are probably rarer as complex life demands time for evolution and the right orbital coordinates too.

Even rarer are those planets that have endured long enough to have evolved enough life complexity to propagate intelligent and highly advanced civilisations.

Earth could be a needle in a haystack. So far, we have found no evidence of intelligent life on other worlds. The "Wow!" signal just wasn't compelling enough as terrestrial factors couldn't be ruled out. I'd imagine that today SETI is sophisticated enough to weed out terrestrial interference.

Ahh interesting. I'm sure there are other civilizations out there, just very different to ours.
Is it ture we've only been to the moon like six times? Also i heard NASA are planning to go back there in 2016. Also i read that they're starting to plan building greenhouses on the moon and growing plants. Will that work?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 11 May 2014 00:55

If the Hubble telescope detected a massive reflective surface some 4.5 billion light-years away, and if we found a way to see that surface clearly and be able to magnify every itty-bitty detail of the photonic data, we would be able to see the early stages of our planet in formation.

Btw, I think China is currently planning to colonise the moon. The Americans want to land people on Mars. More ambitious, but at the moment far-fetched projects, are the terraforming of the red planet and man reaching the stars.

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”