Level One Lucidity

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
Xtreme_Walrus

Level One Lucidity

Postby Xtreme_Walrus » 07 Jan 2014 20:53

I found it strange that when I started lucid dreaming that I didn't have a single level one lucid dream (If you aren't aware of the levels of lucidity, level one is where you realize you are dreaming and you wake up immediately) where as I had heard that many continuously get level one lucid dreams when starting.

But now, I've had it 3 times in a row where I have a level one lucid dream. It is pretty annoying because I am just starting to interact with dream characters. Is there a way to stop level one from happening. I always stay calm and do reality checks, remind myself that I'm dreaming, and anchor myself into the dream, but to no avail.

I'll tell you a quick story of a level one I had this morning. So, I was in my bed, apparently just waking up, and got out to go to the living room. When I got there I noticed it was pretty dark so I decided to turn on some lights. I went to each light switch scattered across the room turning them on. When I was done I noticed that none of them turned on. So, I went back to a light switch and made sure that I turned it on, and again, nothing. So I thought hmm.... light switches don't work in dreams so I should do a reality check. I plugged my nose and tried to breathe through it and sure enough I could. I then stayed calm told myself I was dreaming and rubbed my hands together and said "clarity now!" My vision suddenly went strange. There was a diagonal division with blackness in the top left half and the vision of my living room in the bottom right half of my vision. So, I decided to open my eyes to be in the living room scene, but I woke up in my bed.

Any help?
"I woke up in between a memory and a dream" -Tom Petty

taniaaust1

Re: Level One Lucidity

Postby taniaaust1 » 12 Jan 2014 08:47

You started off with a false awakening and seem to be a very good dream state there at that point but then once you realised you were dreaming, you lost confidence about staying in this state, you worried!! (oh I have to do this and that to stay in this dream)... your lack of confidence very possibly affected your dream causing it then to weaken till you woke up. When a person starts thinking they may wake up, they can cause that to actually start happening. It would of been better if you could of just focused strongly on what is in your dream and took your mind off of maybe waking up.

Thou another thing is.. as you woke up due to false awakening.. you may of also been very close to naturally waking up anyway.. so this may of made staying in this dream a little harder.

I then stayed calm told myself I was dreaming and rubbed my hands together and said "clarity now!" My vision suddenly went strange. There was a diagonal division with blackness in the top left half and the vision of my living room in the bottom right half of my vision. So, I decided to open my eyes to be in the living room scene, but I woke up in my bed.

Why where you doing that? Did you have an actual reason to do this? Wasnt your dream clear already? What you described before this seems you were seeing well and doing things well in the dream..was that dropping out?. (You doing this may of sent a message to your subconciousness that your dream wasnt being clear..and hence then it wasnt). Once again..worrying about things in your dream may of affected it.

Im confused.. at what point did you shut your eyes and why? (you dont mention in your dream that you shut your eyes thou you obviously did have them open at some point as you were looking at switches). When one is starting to loose a dream, shutting the eyes for many can be the worst thing which can be done as that means you for a moment disconnect with the dream you are having just a bit more (by taking your sight sense out of it).

There was a diagonal division with blackness in the top left half and the vision of my living room in the bottom right half of my vision.

I assume you shut your eyes cause of your vision screwing up?

Next time forget about your eyes and what they are doing, dont be distracted by a partly screwing up sense. I often can loose a LD to the point that its pitch black and then I dont have anything at all to see at all to hold on with my sight.. but then I just continue on using my other senses in the dream and the sight will end up coming back.

I would never close my eyes as that would make me loose the dream cause most then try to open them and that does risk your eye lids moving if you are only light in a LD (unless you imagine seeing throu your head instead..which would of been better way to try to see if you felt like your eyes were shut). But the more one stresses over lost body senses.. the worst it can get, so often better to ignore it and focus on other things in dream.

Another thing you could of done is to just focus on the area you are seeing (and ignore the black part). It would of probably come good.

better luck next time.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 12 Jan 2014 08:52

I found it strange that when I started lucid dreaming that I didn't have a single level one lucid dream (If you aren't aware of the levels of lucidity, level one is where you realize you are dreaming and you wake up immediately) where as I had heard that many continuously get level one lucid dreams when starting.

I dont find that strange at all.. I never had what you are calling level one dreams when I first started LD as I was finding myself in a LD from a very deep state. Its only with WILDs I find it more of a risk when I first realise Ive changed from an awake state to a dream state.

The risk of waking up on realising your dreaming, I think depends on just how deep one is in a dream at the time.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Xtreme_Walrus

Postby Xtreme_Walrus » 14 Jan 2014 07:28

I myself didn't close my eyes. I was about to walk out of the door and all of a sudden it gives me that strange half and half view.
"I woke up in between a memory and a dream" -Tom Petty

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”