Explaining it to others...

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
MarkN

Explaining it to others...

Postby MarkN » 13 Jan 2014 08:13

Since getting an active interest in LD, I have generally kept it pretty much to myself.

For something which has had genuine scientific research, and which exists in our very own brains, and which is freely available and potentially very beneficial, I am finding LD rather difficult to explain to people!

It generally meets with a fairly glazed look, or one of slightly pitiable concern, which leaves you with a sense of: guilt, embarrassment, or just being off with the fairies... :oops:

Take my wife... :?

Anyone had any luck explaining it to family and friends??

Vonozar

Re: Explaining it to others...

Postby Vonozar » 13 Jan 2014 18:18

I know this all too well. Im sure most people here do. To us it's something that's just so amazing that you want to share it. There are so many benefits! But as you're finding out, you have to be careful with this. I learned the hard way with this by trying to explain it to my family. Im used to sharing absolutely everything with them, so I figured sharing lucid dreaming would be just like anything else. Yeah, that didn't go over too well. You have to take time to explain it, being careful not to share too much. Let them ask the questions and respond without going information overboard (which I did. Trust me, it can be a bad thing if the people you are trying to talk to aren't getting it or don't want to hear it.). You have to test the waters a bit, see how the person is responding to what you're saying before you say too much. I sort of blew it with explaining it to my family. I'm learning now how to correctly talk about it to people, and so far the responses have been positive so I must be doing something right. :lol: My mom surprised me the other day when she asked me to teach my brother to lucid dream. She noticed that since I have learned to lucid dream my grades have gone up quickly with decreased time needed to study despite taking increasingly harder classes. (I study in my LDs.) My brother is dead set against it though, so he wouldn't try even if I did attempt to teach him. But the fact that my mom asked what she did hints that maybe she's become more open to the idea when it used to freak her out. So perhaps even if we do blow it at first with our eager attempts to share this skill, all isn't necessarily lost. ;) There are some topics about this in the off topic section if you want to read about them. They could be quite helpful.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Jan 2014 20:48

I made the mistake of divulging too much too soon. I've done a few things that can even make people here shake their heads and go, "wait, what?!" I'm not going to tell my family that I once put my whole hand through my grandmothers head while I made her watch in a mirror and asked her what she saw. (She didn't see anything odd). It was very vivid and I'm proud of that dream experiment, but it's best I don't tell them out of the blue. When I tell my mother that I speak to my subconscious and it answers me, she thinks I'm loony, which is actually quite common with this crowd. Then I said, every dream is temporary insanity, but that only further strengthened her opinion that lucid dreaming is for nuts. Big mistake which I can't undo. To say I lucid dream is like saying I hallucinate! (Which is true, but doesn't mean I'm nuts or on drugs).

It's best to let others start the conversation. A few months ago my mother told me a strange dream she had where she woke up in a bed and it was so real only to wake up again. I told her it was a false awakening which I get all the time. I told her, remember how real that was? Now imagine getting up and walking around with complete control knowing it is a dream. (She changed the subject, but I think she was intrigued).
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Goldkoron

Postby Goldkoron » 15 Jan 2014 04:24

I've tried to bring up lucid dreaming to others. I first tried mentioning it to my family, which they just shrugged it off, not really caring at all. My brother once asked me how it worked, but that is as far as it went. I then starting casually mentioning it to friends, and a few did express some interest, but I have met nobody who has been as interested in lucid dreaming as I am. I did tell one friend about it, after he told me one day that he gets sleep paralysis at least once or twice a week. And later on he said he managed to have one brief lucid dream, that is as far as he has gotten to my knowledge. I hope that one of these days I will meet someone who is as intrigued with lucid dreaming as I am, lucid dreaming has kind of made me want to become an Oneirologist.
Do a reality check

Peter

Postby Peter » 15 Jan 2014 05:55

I normally dont bother as it would be easier to explain string theory or some such thing that LD and get it to the stage of some comprehension.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Jan 2014 16:59

That's why I'm not offended when others aren't interested. Most people aren't interested in string theory either, and, even though I am, I get a glazed look in my eyes too when someone explains it with scientific jargon.

One thing I'm not interested in is sports, so I joke with myself and consider when I try to explain my passion for lucid dreams to others it would be like my cousin explaining his passion for NASCAR Racing to me. I simply don't care who the drivers are and will never understand the appeal. But he sure loves it and so does a large group of others on this planet. We are no different really. Putting myself in others shoes with that analogy helps me realize that.

Lucid dreaming is not for everybody. My grandmother is 91 and never lucid dreamed a day in her life and she is a very content person.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Postby Peter » 15 Jan 2014 19:56

Your grandmother may be an awesome lucid dreamer but have no recall - got to swim against the tide as its in my nature :lol:
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 15 Jan 2014 23:50

Most of my friends and family were amazed when I explained the deal to them. A few wanted to try it. The few confused ones didn't like the idea of being "awake" and fully aware of the situation in a dream world. They thought it would be a scary scenario.

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 16 Jan 2014 00:14

HAGART wrote:One thing I'm not interested in is sports, so I joke with myself and consider when I try to explain my passion for lucid dreams to others it would be like my cousin explaining his passion for NASCAR Racing to me. I simply don't care who the drivers are and will never understand the appeal. But he sure loves it and so does a large group of others on this planet. We are no different really. Putting myself in others shoes with that analogy helps me realize that.

That's a good way of looking at it. I've casually mentioned it to some of my friends, explaining a bit more only if they seem interested. I have even convinced a couple to start dream journals, with very little persuasion :)
Dreaming is my drug

Vonozar

Postby Vonozar » 16 Jan 2014 00:23

Summerlander wrote:Most of my friends and family were amazed when I explained the deal to them. A few wanted to try it. The few confused ones didn't like the idea of being "awake" and fully aware of the situation in a dream world. They thought it would be a scary scenario.

That's awesome Summerlander! How did you explain it? :)

Return to “For Beginners”