Forgetting Lucid Dreams

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
TillyPink

Forgetting Lucid Dreams

Postby TillyPink » 30 Jan 2014 00:44

Since i have been working more closely with LD'ing, i have been getting many more, which is great. But I've always been able to remember lucid dreams as they are by their very nature, memorable. I write them down as much as i write down normal dreams and big dreams, but am actually more interested in remembering my normal dreams as i know i'm likely to forget them if i don't. 2 nights ago i woke at 4, wrote down my dreams, went back to sleep, had a great lucid dream, woke from that...didn't bother to write it down as I knew i'd remember it. I went back to sleep and had another lucid dream. When i woke from that I just acknowledged to myself that I'd had another one, went back to sleep for like an hour...when i woke i remembered the first one but not the second...nothing at all. Just a feeling, and the fact i knew from knowing when i was awake... :D Later in the day something triggered me remembering the first part (as it would with a normal dream sometimes) and all i remembered was flying in my bedroom and hovering in front of a full length mirror so i could see myself in flight mode. I know i then headed for the window...and i know i had a full lucid dream...but can not remember anything else. Do any of you forget lucid dreams if you don't write them down straight away? Actually as i'm writing this i think i've been pretty silly for not writing them down on waking as I might be missing out on tiny details that could aid me....)

Xtreme_Walrus

Re: Forgetting Lucid Dreams

Postby Xtreme_Walrus » 30 Jan 2014 01:32

Yeah I know exactly what you're talking about. I just started in mid November and have had 17 lucid dreams. But, I don't know about you but after nearly all of my lucid dreams, I have a false awakening. I've only become lucid during a false awakening once and that was right after a lucid dream. I continued on with the false awakening lucid dream until of course I woke up. When I woke up I could only remember the basic parts of the lucid dream.
"I woke up in between a memory and a dream" -Tom Petty

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 30 Jan 2014 15:05

...it does make me wonder if when i sleep right through the night and don't awake at 4 whether i lucid dream and forget just like with a normal dream...lucid dreaming is natural after all...on those 2 dreams i didn't have a FA as i remember going through the second one in my head when i woke...but yes have FA's frequently. The 1st dream i had i actually went to bed in a normal dream and when i 'woke up' i woke up lucid but not as an FA (i was being careful not to 'disturb' the 'person' lying next to me and i remember checking myself thinking 'That's impossible, they are not really there...' so i 'left my body' after a brief reality check and flew out the window...ahhh it was a good one. So i wonder if the 2nd too was tucked inside another dream...but i know i didn't lose lucidity and drift into deep dream as when i awoke, i awoke from a LD. Interesting...I guess the key is to write on awakening. The very act of you writing down your FA (even i you can not at that point remember your LD) may then trigger off memories of the LD? Thanks for sharing.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 30 Jan 2014 17:04

Yea, I remember not remembering a few lucid dreams. (What what? That doesn't makes sense!)

No need to explain it to you guys, you know what I'm talking about. I sometimes wake up and recall my dreams and think, "Shucks, I didn't lucid dream last night". (OK, I actually don't use the word, "Shucks" :lol: ) But then I think back and it hits me and I remember that indeed I was lucid. I only remember the gist of it, or the beginning where I had the revelation and that's about it. I still FEEL like it lasted a while and I had a great time, but darned if I can remember!

I compare dreams to an Etch-A-Sketch. If you don't recall it when awake to save the image, it gets shaken up and drawn over with the next dream. You might see a faint residual image left over from the previous dream, but it seems our dream memories are stored in only one place and it gets copied over. Recalling them when awake puts it into a different memory compartment because we remember remembering. :shock: (Does that make sense?)

And then writing them down is the final step because even our best waking memories can be muddled with time and we forget the details.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 03 Feb 2014 00:25

Yeh I had another long LD this morning and forgot bits of it...i think the thing is that i am doing a lot of practical stuff atm so where as before i'd spontaneously LD and it'd be vivid and memorable as it would stand out in the same way a big dream or vivid dream does...now i'm doing the work to induce LD'ing, I tend to practice a lot of the things i need to do to LD more commonly so i can integrate them as part of my dreaming life, rather than just special events.

It is wonderful as i work through my list of objectives...but interestingly, I am a flute player, and one of my aims was to practice my flute. I did this morning in one bit of my LD and i realised...LD'ing is like my path in learning the instrument...at first I played freely with no expectation and i'd remember everything by ear...now i am learning a lot of theory and some of the 'magic' is lost for a while....I am concentrating....honing my skills...learning to read the music that sometimes i forget then by ear cos my left brain is getting all nerdy.....but from that hopefully, both with my flute and my LD'ing, i will have the skill and the passionate flare to do what ever i dare to do freely, combined with the knowledge...and remember it all both through the notation and the vivid recollection of the awesome journey....that's my theory anyway! :? :D All in all, it is life changing. So it's worth it. And i'm still setting my alarm at the wolf hour as i try to hit my wolf notes!

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 03 Feb 2014 00:45

(You edited, but I replied anyway. I was too fast!) (You asked if I lucid dreamed first and THEN after learned about it instead of the other way around and in short, yes)

(In long,)
Read my introduction in the "introduction section" (buried deep on the first page). That's what changed for me: the fact that I started to question the lucid dream world itself with a rational mind. Much like Charlie Morley admits, my earlier dreams were "sex and skateboarding", but I didn't skateboard! :oops: :lol:

I haven't read too many books, but if I'm not mistaken a 'forum' was an ancient Greek house of learning and I feel this website has been a college course for me and I learned a lot. So yea, I was a lucid dreamer first and then learned a lot more about it after. Still trying to perfect the WILD technique as an ongoing project and perhaps in this 3rd year of 'college' I will achieve that.

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 03 Feb 2014 01:13

haha brilliant! I did have an incline that you might have :D I just suddenly thought i sounded like a little know it all and thought it was best i didn't start trying to typecast people on a virtual site, however well meaning. Yup after a recent experience with walking into the WILD...oh my....it's on my list...it almost scares me it was so good...I love this forum...this Greek learning house...it is like a dream world itself...there is no one in waking life for me that really 'gets' this!

And as far as i was saying about Xtreme W....i think he/she will make a really awesome lucid dreamer with the work they are putting in...

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 03 Feb 2014 01:35

P.S. I just looked at your intro post...loved the bit of your dream where you asked a DC if they knew who you where and they pointed at the sky :)

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 03 Feb 2014 02:35

Intuition is right most of the time. You know the thread about memories and how I knew exactly who Summerlander was talking about. It's not a stab in the dark; our subconscious knows a lot and we just know. Trust it most of the time, but also question it, but no need to be afraid to blurt it out here. At worst someone says no.

I've had a few WILDs, but purely accidental. I'd be lying if I said I had control and most I've come to know here don't either.

And as for no one to talk to about this sort of thing, I'm in the same boat. A lot of what I say goes over their heads, but it resonates here. (No fellow lucid dreamers in my family and this is common. Goes to show it's not inherited. If others do, perhaps it was due to upbringing). It's a mindset, not genetics. No race, religion, creed, gender, political view, sexual preference, or age matters. This site is living proof of that.

And back to my dream-intro when he pointed at the sky, that changed a lot. My DC's knew me in some way, but at the same time didn't. I pursued that for a while, but am starting to realize they are just me from a different vantage point with a different way of thinking and if DC's are illusion, so is the concept of 'self' which is non existent, not only in regular dreams, but lucid dreams, and perhaps even reality. (I'm on to something, but this is another topic altogether.....)

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 03 Feb 2014 22:30

Ha yup...that would make a good post. I'm really assertive with DC's atm as part of my initiating them into more direct and confident dialogue...last week i was talking to a couple of women. I questioned them about the nature of their reality, whether they felt stuff, if they understood that they are in fact my projections and weather or not they could reflect openly to me on that part of myself. One of them really challenged me and said (with big body language) well, are YOU real?? Are any of us sitting here real? She went on to question my own consciousness in the dream and pointed out that her character was no less of a projection then the me i thought i was as the center piece of my dream...Well, i literally asked for it didn't I!

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”