The False Memory Phenomenon Explained (my theory)

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HAGART

The False Memory Phenomenon Explained (my theory)

Postby HAGART » 30 Jan 2014 05:24

First of all, this is just my theory, but I've had false memories in lucid dreams so often, I know what I'm talking about, and I had a Eureka Moment this morning.

To start off, I have to get deep and say our perception of reality consists of two things: memory and imagination. We remember the past and we imagine the future. There is no present.

Even things you perceive around you with sight and sound still take time to enter your eyes/ears. (Light from the sun takes several minutes to reach Earth. Light from an object a foot away still takes time, albeit nano-seconds, but it's still a delay). Not only that, but the brain is a lightening storm of activity (only traveling at the meager speed of light at best) just to comprehend what we sense and that still takes time. By the time we think we perceive the present, it has already past just a nano-second ago..... (Reminds me of that scene from Spaceballs :lol: ) ("What happened to then?" "We past then." "When?" "Just now!")

Now back to lucid dreaming.
When I think I am remembering a past event, either in real life, or an earlier event in the dream, my imagination is overactive and it fills in the blanks readily. It tricks me and I feel I am remembering the past when in fact I am imagining something new. The part of me that can distinguish between the two is turned off and I misinterpret my imagination as memory. It's a small glitch, but makes a big difference and I have many accounts of this in my dream journals.

(I hope I explained it well enough, but I don't always get it right the first try. Feel free to post comments of course and share your own experiences if any or ask me what the heck I'm trying to say! :lol: )

I know what I'm talking about though and it makes sense to me.... 8-)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Re: The False Memory Phenomenon Explained (my theory)

Postby Summerlander » 30 Jan 2014 11:43

You are right. The theory actually concurs with what is observed scientifically. A lot of people think memories are stored in the brain like videos in a library and that these videos are accurate representations of past events. This is simply not true.

Memories are inaccurate reconstructions. In fact, every time you remember the same thing, the neuronic patterns of activity are never quite the same and false memory syndrime tends to thrive.

I'd go as far as saying that all memories are false to different degrees. The ones that are grossly untrue we call them "false" when we discover that real events never happened in the mnemonically conveyed manner; the memories that still differ but manage to capture the gist of what is deemed useful information we say are true enough (but we often still mistake them for accurate representations).

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 30 Jan 2014 13:11

Cool. Nice theory.
Yes, when we have a past memory, it's not 100% accurate. And it has some false memories filling in the blanks. What i find curious is that when we are dreaming we take for 100% garanteed that this memory happened.
For example, i could say in real life that i used to live in a house with a garden, but i'm not sure if i really had a garden. But in dream life, even being lucid, i would say that i had a huge garden, with giraffes and pigs. And being sure of it.
I guess this is what Hagart said: "The part of me that can distinguish between the two is turned off and I misinterpret my imagination as memory."

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 30 Jan 2014 15:38

Before I read the comments I woke up and thought about it more and realized that even when awake my memories are, a large part, imagination. Sure they are based on real events that can be verified by other people, but there are a lot of blanks that get filled in with imagination. It goes unnoticed like the way our blind spots in our field of view gets filled in.

When awake I can easily distinguish between the two, (fact and fiction), but in a dream and even the most lucid of dreams, it tends to 'cross over' and the lines are blurred. I don't realize until later when I look back with a waking mind. Just like Highlander's garden I find myself in foreign places that seem familiar.

When awake we all know of scenarios when you remember a past event, and another person who was there remembers it differently and you argue about it. And then there is a home video camera that recorded it truthfully and both were wrong!

(Those lines I quoted from Spaceballs. They were just off the top of my head and I'm sure if you watched the movie I was wrong. That goes to show that when we don't have a photographic memory, we only get the gist of memories and imagine or guess to fill in the blanks).

I just came up with something after saying that. When awake we fill in the memory-blanks with logical guess work, but in a dream the memory-blanks are filled with pure unadulterated imagination and the foreign can often be familiar

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 30 Jan 2014 19:42

The problem is that imagination is active no matter what state of awareness you are in: be it wakeful, dreaming, or lucid dreaming.

Remember the times when you employ to OBE-exit technique to lucidly enter the dream world? The inaccurate bedroom replica is a mental, virtual reality representation of the memory of your bedroom. The lucid dream captures the familiarity of your bedroom but it doesn't seem to bother with accuracy in details. It does not get away with inconsistencies, however, when you are lucid and you pay attention to the environment.

Now, isn't it peculiar that you become aware of inconsistencies when you're lucid? It's like you are in touch with memories of the house interior which are more reliable for how else can you know that what you perceive is anomalous without mnemonic criteria?

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 30 Jan 2014 19:47

This brings to mind something else. I once knew someone who had lotsa accurate OOBEs and was absolutely convinced his consciousness separated from the physical body to perambulate the physical world.

He was also a special effects expert and artist who once boasted that he had a photographic memory...

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 30 Jan 2014 19:57

Summerlander wrote:He was also a special effects expert and artist who once boasted that he had a photographic memory...
Was it Bedeekin?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 31 Jan 2014 01:02

Bingo. Bedeekin aka Benjamin. The guy was highly intelligent, but also gravely mistaken... If not deceptive.

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 31 Jan 2014 04:10

It goes to show my memory and intuition can be relied upon after all. (or perhaps it's just quick subliminal logic that happens so fast I didn't really have to think; I just knew).

I met him once a while ago on another website and wondered about the low probability of yet another special effect artist lucid dreamer and took a guess very quickly.

When awake I can make very good educated guesses. But in a dream it all gets thrown out the window!

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 31 Jan 2014 10:58

Yes, your logic/intuition paid off. Because you frequent sites about lucid dreaming, it was largely an educated guess plus the fact that Bedeekin was quite distinct from the majority of contributing members. I moderated Astral Viewers with him and for a while he had been my mentor and did help me a lot in improving my practice.

But soon our relationship became more like Freud at loggerheads with Jung, or Gore Vidal and Christopher Hitchens. I grew increasingly disappointed with his grandiloquent, megalomaniacal ways. But I guess the pressures of his career forced him to be competitive so it wasn't his fault.

Finally, he eventually claimed that he could have OOBEs that could change the fabric of physical reality (such as moving his house keys in the OOBE world to discover that his girlfriend suddenly felt like placing them in an unusual place in physical reality because she suddenly felt like it).

I confronted him with this nonsense and contended that lucid dreaming is a superior practice because, unlike the real-OOBE beliefcentric attitude when you experience the phase state, you recognise the experience for what it actually is: a dream.

He deleted me on Facebook! LoL!

Anyway, yes, even the lucid dreaming self can differ from the waking self and it has definitely something to do with memories. Remember the thread about bizarre thinking in lucid dreams? Alan Worsley did some research on this.

- Padmasambhava

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”