Hey all!

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
DCellLucid

Hey all!

Postby DCellLucid » 30 Jan 2014 00:17

Hi Everyone!

I've been really interested in Lucid Dreaming for a couple of years now and have read Stephen LaBerge's 'Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming', as well as multiple articles and have watched lots of videos online. I'm pretty familiar on a technical-knowledge level with all the popular LD induction techniques and have tried a few out. I've had 1 LD that I can remember, but this was before researching all of this. In the past, I've tried to keep dream journals (I have pretty good natural recall - roughly 2-3 average per night without any pre-sleep intentions) along with doing multiple daily reality checks with help from a phone app to remind me to perform these several times a day, but have found myself only sticking to it for about 2 weeks at a time before I get bored/frustrated/forgetful at no result.

I understand it takes a lot of patience and dedication, and I think it's the bubbling excitement I have about the idea of lucid dreaming that makes me lose my direction. After reading about it and thinking about the possibilities I sometimes find myself almost so excited I can't keep still! I know I really want to do this and stick to it, but have really found it hard to in the past on my own - so I thought I could gain a bit of motivation by joining this forum having other like-minded people to talk to and keep updated about my progress (and for them to maybe even nag me for updates occasionally to keep me going) ;).

Anyone else had similar struggles, having noone to share the journey with to keep them motivated? I'm actually pretty sure it will just require me to have the patience to persist until I have just 1 proper LD to keep myself going indefinitely, as I'm sure I won't want to give up trying after having the experience :).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to joining the community and will be sure to post updates and inevitably ask a question or 2 when needed.

Cheers,
Last edited by DCellLucid on 15 Mar 2014 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

JonSnowLD

Re: Hey all!

Postby JonSnowLD » 01 Feb 2014 01:24

Hey David, welcome to the forum! :) I've definitely found the forum a good way to keep my mind focused and motivated on LDS so I'm sure you'll have your first LD in no time! ;)

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

Vonozar

Postby Vonozar » 01 Feb 2014 09:52

Hi, and welcome to the forum! :) Being a part of this forum definitely helps to keep you motivated. One thing I did to help keep me motivated when I was beginning was to keep a calendar someplace where you will see it often (I keep mine by my bed) and highlight or underline the days you had a lucid dream in one color, and days where you had an experience that was memorable whether that be a learning experience or just some random, awesome thing that happened in another color. That way you can visualize your progress. Something to consider. ;)

DCellLucid wrote:so I thought I could gain a bit of motivation by joining this forum having other like-minded people to talk to and keep updated about my progress (and for them to maybe even nag me for updates occasionally to keep me going) ;).

Hint hint. 8-) :lol: Sure, I'll send you a message every now-and-then if you want to see how you're doing or reminding you to make a post if you want. Whatever helps. :)

DCellLucid

Postby DCellLucid » 02 Feb 2014 14:31

Thanks both for your messages, glad to be here! :D

Thanks Vonazar for your tips - I've done that with a calendar and seems like an awesome idea! As prompted - here is an update so far ;)

Still no lucid dreams yet, although I managed to remember and write down 5 dreams the other night which is a record for me (although my hand did hurt after writing so much!). One thing I'd say I'm struggling with is my reality checks. I have been trying to do them but the main things I seem to find difficult are:

1. When my reminder prompts me to do them when I'm in conversation with someone/in company that I can't get away from quickly I end up not doing them (and I suppose this proves a problem if I think the same thing in the dream!).

2. I am overly conscious of trying to ask the "Am I Dreaming?" question genuinely, when I find that I don't remotely think in any way that I'm dreaming and feel stupid asking it. I'm sure it's a common problem but has anyone got any tips on this front? It's probably even more difficult when you haven't had a LD yet as well.

I've also started trying to implement the WBTB and DEILD into my sleeping pattern, which has probably helped me to remember more dreams. I also log the time going to bed, and log the time I wake up after a dream in my dream journal to try and build up a REM map of my sleep, so I'll see how that goes :D.

I should probably transfer this to the beginner questions forum so I'll post this there as well to carry on the updates etc.! :)

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 02 Feb 2014 16:30

DCellLucid wrote:1. When my reminder prompts me to do them when I'm in conversation with someone/in company that I can't get away from quickly I end up not doing them (and I suppose this proves a problem if I think the same thing in the dream!).

Do an internal, mental reality check. As they are talking, take a moment to reflect and ponder if it's a dream or not. It doesn't take long. Tell yourself, "No, it's not because....." I usually think about where I was 5 minutes ago and how I got there and if anybody around, or the very person I am talking to, belongs there or not. (In dreams I often meet dead relatives, past Highschool friends, and others who live in other countries and I wonder.... when and how did they arrive?)

I don't reality check habitually, but then again, being a frequent lucid dreamer, perhaps I do it subliminally, more often than I realize. But keep up what you're doing because I bet one of these days that reminder will sound while you're in the dream out of habit and make you ponder how you arrived where you are, and why you are doing what it is you're doing and entertain the possibility that it may in fact be a dream despite how real they can seem at the time.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”