Fear

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
btifuldreamer

Fear

Postby btifuldreamer » 01 Feb 2014 11:31

I Recently went out to dinner with the family, and my Aunty who is psychic, gave me my first reading. To my surprise, she was very accurate in what she said about me. She is also interested in lucid dreaming and conspiracies and all stuff i'm interested in. She said she gets the feeling that i am not having lucid dreams because fear is preventing from doing so. She is right, because i'm scared of sleep paralysis and stuff that could happen in lucid dreams, even tho people claim nothing bad happens... but i'm not that convinced. So basically i would like to know if lucid dreams can ever be THAT scary to stop you from doing it and also is the fear i have might be what's preventing me from having lucid dreams? thank you~

Snaggle

Re: Fear

Postby Snaggle » 03 Feb 2014 04:52

If you watch the Vampire diaries being a new lucid dreamer is exactly like being a new vampire all ones emotions are more intense or can be - so yes encountering rare untrollable terror in them most likely will happen, but most peoples' lucid dreams are extremely short say about ten minutes. Being able to do WILDs where one stays conscious throughout the dream states I've also been trapped in all night states of pure terror and in either case one expereinces both dreams and nightmares every night, so ones lucids can be either. Your lucids might not occur in Rem dream states, in which case they'll be more dreamish with weak emotions.

YOU DON'T NEED TO EVER EXPERIENCE SLEEP PARALYSIS TO LUCID DREAM!
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 03 Feb 2014 07:49

Most people don't experience a full night of terrors. I've had some sleep paralysis nightmares which didn't last too long. I'm just giving a counter point so others don't think lucid dreams inevitably results in all night horrors all the time. However lucid dreams do open up extreme emotion so with fear comes GREAT JOY, and we should relish that. There are two ends of a stick in lucid dreaming and emotions run wild. They go on either way of the spectrum and sometimes we are not in control. But with the terrifying lows also comes some joyous highs!

Sleep Paralysis and, other symptoms, as I call it, "Waking up in a room with a sinister being" are quite uncommon for me although I lucid dream quite a bit. I had a spat of them, a rash if you will, a while back, but not so much anymore. I lucid dream a lot, but don't get those terrifying moments very often. But when it does, you look fear straight in the face and overcome it with time. It's all an illusion.

No need to fear. Fear is in the eye of the beholder.

Just close your eyes at night and see what happens. Nothing I have seen has ever harmed me. It's only fear of fear itself.

YOU CERTAINLY DO NOT NEED TO EXPERIENCE SLEEP PARALYSIS NIGHTMARES TO LUCID DREAM
I lucid dream often, (2-3 times a week, but haven't had SP in a long time and it's rare for me).

Only worry about it if it happens and I'll coach you through it. There's no worries and no fear with lucid dreaming unless you make it yourself.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 06 Feb 2014 11:08

Thank you very much for both of your answers. Yes HAGART i did not fully explain what i fear about lucid dreaming because i did take into account there are younger viewers and i don't want to scare them... but not really anything to fear i now realize. The method i am trying is DEILD and i'm pretty sure you experience sleep paralysis for a short time before the lucid dream. Another thing, if you wear an eye patch sleep mask thingy will you still see all the scary stuff or do you have to actually be able to physically see your room and stuff. I'm just trying to let go of any fear i have because i think that is what is preventing me from lucid dreaming.

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 06 Feb 2014 11:39

I understand that you can be scared of lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis. I can only say that i had nightmares and i too was scared of SP. Now that i learned about lucid dreaming and all the techniques, i no longer have nightmares and i'm kinda excited when SP happens, because it can be a gateway to a starting lucid dreaming.

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 06 Feb 2014 13:26

Highlander wrote:I understand that you can be scared of lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis. I can only say that i had nightmares and i too was scared of SP. Now that i learned about lucid dreaming and all the techniques, i no longer have nightmares and i'm kinda excited when SP happens, because it can be a gateway to a starting lucid dreaming.

:) That's actually a really good way to think of it. SP isn't about the scary stuff, it's about almost acheiving something amazing :!:

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 06 Feb 2014 16:15

If you have your eyes covered it won't make a difference because my eyes were not open.

It can be scary if you don't know what is happening, but after talking about it here, if it ever happens to you, you will be better informed. And knowledge shines a light on the unknown and it's the unknown that we fear most.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 06 Feb 2014 22:43

As I said in the "DEILD" thread:

Fear: Face it in order to overcome it. (Be sure that you know what it is that you are actually afraid of.) I did. Even if you have to do it by taking little steps. First, repeatedly remind yourself that nothing can harm you in the lucid dream state. Secondly, try partial separation first and if the fear seems insurmountable, terminate the experience. What I mean by this is that you could separate the hands first. Next time, the legs. Next time, sit up in the dream world. Next time, pluck up the courage to stand, deepen the environment with appropriate techniques and explore the vicinity (dream replica of bedroom, or whatever). If you happen to conjure fearsome events in lucid dreamland, like a fearful aggressor showing up, try not to run no matter how real the experience appears to be. Face the aggressor with honesty and try to apprehend the situation. By turning to the fearsome dream figure and asking it a question on the grounds of representation with a strong expectation of obtaining something worthwhile and valuable, you are already trying something new and the fear should immediately begin to subside.

And to add more to this:

For most of my early childhood, I kept having false awakenings so vivid as to make me believe that the house I was in was the house I was living in at the time in waking life. I'd notice some anomalies but would think that perhaps my mother had made a few changes while I'd been asleep. Then, strange, white naked men (skin was as white as snow) would come through the walls and chase me. They would grin maliciously at me and then grab me, poke me, tickle me and bite me - which made me feel extremely uncomfortable and utterly violated...

I would scream and cry but they continued with the abuse and giggled horribly and constantly. I told my mother that I kept dreaming of bad men with skin like snow and she didn't know what to make of it. In the end, she decided that there might be spirits in the house so she burned some incense in the belief that it would make them go away. Whether this had an effect or not (psychological or paranormal - you choose), there came a point when I no longer had those "dreams."

Once, I was hurled across the bedroom and against a wall by those fiends. I went right through the wall, and, on the other side, I found the living room. I saw a woman with a little boy on her lap. I fell on the little boy and woke up on my mother's arms crying. This can be interpreted in a number of ways. The obvious and also fantastic interpretation would be that I perceived my mother holding me from a perspective of being truly out-of-body. Another is that I was so terrified in the phase state (hybrid state giving rise to lucid dreams and OOBEs) that I wanted my mother’s help and comfort, which, as a wish, prompted my unconscious mind to create the image of a motherly woman holding a child.

The latter is the most likely explanation, especially if I was somewhat aware of being held by my mother during REM sleep and hence the reason why the “mother-and-child” vision in the dream world coincided with the situation I encountered upon waking. Today, I look back and see so many similarities between my lucid dreams and those lucid childhood nightmares. It was almost always in a slightly inaccurate replica of the house I was living in at the time, and, sometimes, I would float or glide by instinct as I tried to escape from the strange white-skinned men - just as one would do in a lucid dream. Moreover, as my experience with such false awakenings grew, the less time I spent in a pre-lucid state as I quickly realised the familiarity of the situation and concluded that, despite appearances, I was really lying asleep in bed. Fear, however, seemed to make it difficult for me to awaken.

I'd like to add that, as my view of these experiences went from esoterically recondite to pragmatically apprehensible, fearsome encounters in the phase state became gradually more infrequent. :geek:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 07 Feb 2014 05:47

Summerlander wrote:As I said in the "DEILD" thread:

Fear: Face it in order to overcome it. (Be sure that you know what it is that you are actually afraid of.) I did. Even if you have to do it by taking little steps. First, repeatedly remind yourself that nothing can harm you in the lucid dream state. Secondly, try partial separation first and if the fear seems insurmountable, terminate the experience. What I mean by this is that you could separate the hands first. Next time, the legs. Next time, sit up in the dream world. Next time, pluck up the courage to stand, deepen the environment with appropriate techniques and explore the vicinity (dream replica of bedroom, or whatever). If you happen to conjure fearsome events in lucid dreamland, like a fearful aggressor showing up, try not to run no matter how real the experience appears to be. Face the aggressor with honesty and try to apprehend the situation. By turning to the fearsome dream figure and asking it a question on the grounds of representation with a strong expectation of obtaining something worthwhile and valuable, you are already trying something new and the fear should immediately begin to subside.

And to add more to this:
Whoa :shock: Sounds Creepy.
Thank you for using personal experience, very helpful. I will keep this in mind if i ever face something scary, I will just face it and ask questions :D Or fight it and make the dream a little more interesting, it'll be good to get some adrenaine while fighting it and will make it a lot more fun! :lol:

For most of my early childhood, I kept having false awakenings so vivid as to make me believe that the house I was in was the house I was living in at the time in waking life. I'd notice some anomalies but would think that perhaps my mother had made a few changes while I'd been asleep. Then, strange, white naked men (skin was as white as snow) would come through the walls and chase me. They would grin maliciously at me and then grab me, poke me, tickle me and bite me - which made me feel extremely uncomfortable and utterly violated...

I would scream and cry but they continued with the abuse and giggled horribly and constantly. I told my mother that I kept dreaming of bad men with skin like snow and she didn't know what to make of it. In the end, she decided that there might be spirits in the house so she burned some incense in the belief that it would make them go away. Whether this had an effect or not (psychological or paranormal - you choose), there came a point when I no longer had those "dreams."

Once, I was hurled across the bedroom and against a wall by those fiends. I went right through the wall, and, on the other side, I found the living room. I saw a woman with a little boy on her lap. I fell on the little boy and woke up on my mother's arms crying. This can be interpreted in a number of ways. The obvious and also fantastic interpretation would be that I perceived my mother holding me from a perspective of being truly out-of-body. Another is that I was so terrified in the phase state (hybrid state giving rise to lucid dreams and OOBEs) that I wanted my mother’s help and comfort, which, as a wish, prompted my unconscious mind to create the image of a motherly woman holding a child.

The latter is the most likely explanation, especially if I was somewhat aware of being held by my mother during REM sleep and hence the reason why the “mother-and-child” vision in the dream world coincided with the situation I encountered upon waking. Today, I look back and see so many similarities between my lucid dreams and those lucid childhood nightmares. It was almost always in a slightly inaccurate replica of the house I was living in at the time, and, sometimes, I would float or glide by instinct as I tried to escape from the strange white-skinned men - just as one would do in a lucid dream. Moreover, as my experience with such false awakenings grew, the less time I spent in a pre-lucid state as I quickly realised the familiarity of the situation and concluded that, despite appearances, I was really lying asleep in bed. Fear, however, seemed to make it difficult for me to awaken.

I'd like to add that, as my view of these experiences went from esoterically recondite to pragmatically apprehensible, fearsome encounters in the phase state became gradually more infrequent. :geek:

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Feb 2014 03:00

By all means fight it if you prefer. As long as you are having fun and fear subsides. You should be in control because you're the don! B-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “For Beginners”