First lucid dream and questions...

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Johnbaker

First lucid dream and questions...

Postby Johnbaker » 05 Feb 2014 17:32

First let me give you a little background information... I always have had an easy time remembering dreams, and although I didn't know it at the time, became lucid in the middle of dreams quite regularly. I would randomly realize it was dreaming, and get some control of it, but usually just became absorbed by the dream.

I discovered this site recently and as a consequence have been using a lot of the techniques and done TONS of research. I probably read every single page on here a few times at least... I do constant reality checks (pushing fingers through palm, looking at clocks, looking closely at my hands, etc...) I also keep a dream journal and have greatly improved in my dream recall. I also when I first go to bed, meditate and say my mantra (Next time I dream I will know I am dreaming) over and over again until I feel the pins and needles, see the lights, and ultimately sleep (I am not ready for REM sleep yet.) After this I wake up about 6 hours later and try again. This is about the time I start dreams.

I have yet to achieve a WILD. My first time trying it was unsuccessful, and my second time I used a hypnotic induction video with TONS of good reviews. I stayed awake through all 1 and a half hours of it:(... The next night, I tried again without the audio, and didn't get a wink of sleep past 4a.m. (6 hours after I go to bed.) I kept using the mind's eye to visualize the dream happening, to taste, feel, hear, and see the dream (I am very good at that... I am also a musician who plays by ear so the sound is great as well!) Once during that time, I actually started to see the hypnagogai (yes, as you see I DID do my research) turn my vision completely white, and I started to see the mental scene I kept replaying come to life. I saw and even heard it, still completely aware, but nonetheless a second later I was looking at the top of my bunkbed. (I don't have another person in the room, I just still have a bunkbed...) I almost got into a lucid dream, but not quite.

My first lucid dream, however, was the next night... I was running around as a soldier in WWII, and as I ran down some stairs, immediately noticed I wasn't a soldier anymore, and was on the main lvl of my house. I immediately sat down and did a reality check, and became LUCID!!!!! However, 2 seconds later, I was literally thrown (as if someone in star wars used the force to push me) backwards towards my front door and as I hit it I noticed I was awake. Did another reality check, and was really awake.

The next night was last night... I had no lucid dream, but 2 dreams I remember in great detail, and WAY better than I ever have remembered a dream (which says a lot, as I would remember easily an hours worth of detailed dreaming all the time throughout my earlier childhood... I am 16 now, and the past few years I haven't remembered dreams quite as much...)

===============================================================================
So there you have it. You see all of my methods, you see the two examples of lucid dreams/almost lucid dreams I have had, and now I wanted to see if I could get more advice.

Thanks!

Johnbaker

Re: First lucid dream and questions...

Postby Johnbaker » 05 Feb 2014 17:36

I also wanted to add that before even knowing about lucid dreams, I have very often performed DEILDs on Saturdays, or any day when I could sleep in and woke up during a dream I liked. I would just fall back asleep, and because I now knew it was a dream, would almost always re-enter the dream with lucidity... So really I have had hundreds of lucid dreams before, but only had one quick lucid dream where I actually was trying to be lucid, rather than just trying to get back into the dream period...

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 05 Feb 2014 22:41

Hi there,

Have you tried waking up at 4am...wake up fully, write in your journal, have a warm drink (small one so you don't wake up bursting for the loo!), maybe read a bit of fiction, really, for 45 mins - 1hr...then re-enter sleep in a relaxed meditative way, just be mindful of the hynogogic visions, but don't try too hard. Be natural. This is my now my fool proof way of entering lucid dreaming on demand, I've got to say (lazily) with very little effort) but I've only been doing it for a few weeks. And i don't try it every night as some nights I'm too tired to wake up as my job means i have to get up really early some mornings. I have had 2 (accidental) WILD experiences doing this, the 2nd one so powerful it woke me up! But what tends to happen is i almost immediately enter lucidity after a brief dream entry. Or, the OBE thing just starts to happen, I reality check, and fly out of the window and enjoy my lucid dream.

At first i did this lying on my back, as i thought i'd gain more awareness, but now I know it doesn't matter if i'm on my side. In fact i remember one morning just being 'lazy' giving up and rolling over, then to be followed by 2 lucid dreams.

I learned this from Charlie Morley's book 'Dreams of Awakening' (suits me cos i like to meditate). You've probably read that too yeh? :D It's a form of WILD he calls 'The Hynogogic Drop In'...but i think i'm doing a version of his version, as the hynogogic state doesn't link seamlessly to the dream state...although it has, and then I WILD'ed...

You'll find what works for you in the end, but might be worth a try.

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 05 Feb 2014 22:50

Just to add, the thing about the hynogogic images is just to notice them, with no judgement, but to be gently aware of the images as they enter your mind, each one, allowing them to pass through with awareness, but not concentrating on them too much. This is essentially a form of mindfullness which is the lineage he comes from, but you don't have to be a Buddhist or anything (I'm not), it's a technique in it's own right.

Johnbaker

Postby Johnbaker » 06 Feb 2014 04:25

Thanks for the reply... Yes, I have gotten up at 4:00 a.m. But it just gets me really tired. (I never end up falling asleep until too late...) I think I'm focusing on the hypnagogai too much and trying to control them, which keeps me awake.

Anyways I am going to continue meditating when I first get in bed (10:00) as if entering WILD (which doesn't work, but it gets me meditating practice...) and hopefully waking up early to actually WILD. Also I always tend to have lucid dreams (again, haven't had one since I actually researched it) on Saturday mornings because of all the REM sleep. I end up waking up, realizing what I just had was a dream, and trying to get back in the dream. Basically I have for years been practicing the DEILD method without realizing it! :)

Thanks again for the post... Will keep you posted!

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

Return to “For Beginners”