How to manage through Sleep Paralysis!?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Xreasey

How to manage through Sleep Paralysis!?

Postby Xreasey » 13 Jan 2012 23:22

Hello everyone!!! I have just started trying to get into the O.B.E.'s and Lucid Dreaming. I am more interested in the O.B.E.'s though and this is what I have been trying to achieve lately. I know I can becuase I can feel the waking Sleep Paralysis wave come over my body, the vibrations and hte heavy weight. I am all clear minded up untill thats point and hten I get I'd say anxious/nervous/excited/scared at the same tiem becuase I have never had an O.B.E. befor. When this wave come my heart rate jsumps through the roof and kicks it off and all I can focus on is my heart rate and trying to bring it back down but I can't. Is there anything I can do to keep myself focused and let it over come me? This is the biggest problem and I should be able to have O.B.E.'s if I can pass the wave.

To go into it deeper... I first lay down, relaxe take a few deep breaths and focus on the darkness behind my eyelids. Once I see the colors of morphing lights I start to think of a scenerey and thast when I feel my body become heavy and my limbs feel weightless and feel like they have switched postions (I lay with palms down, feels like they turn over upwards). I keep my focus and then I start to feel the chest pressue which is fine I can manage my breathing and heart rate just fine. Once my body decides to vibrate is where I loose all focus and my heart beats outragesly and I try all I can to stay calm but I can't seem to and it vanishes...

lucidinthe sky

Re: How to manage through Sleep Paralysis!?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 14 Jan 2012 00:52

I would suggest just working on relaxation techniques so you can be more relaxed during WILD/OBE attempts. The first time I experienced sleep paralysis and vibrations I freaked out and made myself snap back into the waking world. The process is disorienting and that's a big problem for a lot of people including me. What also might help is to prepare yourself mentally for the trip (that's what it feels like) and go over the process in your mind, also while you are still aware enough try to talk to yourself about what's happening during the process and that it's normal and O.K. etc and remind yourself that you can come out any time you want so there is nothing to afraid of. Good luck and don't give up!
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Xreasey

Postby Xreasey » 14 Jan 2012 02:10

I know it's safe and and I have nothingto worry about I jsut feel as if I get too anxious and my heart jumps. Should I take a few shots befor bed to stay more relaxed? Haha

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 14 Jan 2012 02:30

Yes the shots would help to relax for sure, but too bad for me alcohol messes up my dreams :( I was partying a bit much during the holidays and had no LDs, then stopped and within a week had 2.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Postby Peter » 14 Jan 2012 02:58

You say you know its safe but you need to give in to it as well and just go with it. If you are tying to get past SP by thinking that its safe you will be losing concentration and miss the oppotunity to go lucid
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Jan 2012 05:41

lucidinthe sky wrote:alcohol messes up my dreams

Me too. I get no dreams when I drink too much. But sometimes it's fun to enjoy waking life.... but I never expect a dream afterward, so I am never disappointed. I know it would be a night of recuperation, not dreams.

But back to the topic: How to manage sleep paralysis. The key is to not get too excited. Write down the things that worried you and when you feel them again, they won't worry you as much.

I've only ever experienced this phase after a lucid dream (one in which I find out while in the dream). So perhaps I was in a calm state to begin with because of that and that's why I was successful. I have never experienced the symptoms of sleep paralysis and been conscious from the waking state. I think I almost have several times but always 'snap' out of it.

But here is an experience I had 2 days ago, and since you brought up O.B.E's I thought I would mention it. I never tried to have an O.B.E., but I think this may have been close:

I was in a dream, and lucid. At the end, there was a lanky, but very tall security guard and he was going to fight me. I knew I couldn't take him. But I just let it play out. He came at me, I threw a punch. It had no effect on him, his belly was at my head level. I just gave up and watched. He beat me up, but I felt no pain. It was disorientating, but I knew it was a dream and just watched. It wasn't long before it faded to black. Most people would wake up at this point, or even sooner. But don't. Just stay.

It was pitch black and I started to hear a ringing in my ears. Like after a night at a rock concert. Then I saw 'in the distance' a ball of light. It wasn't pure white though, it was yellowish like an incandescent bulb. It was a bit blurry too as though I was seeing it through my eyelids. It got closer. Then it took shape. I saw my eye, in black and yellow, no other colors, and the eye was looking from side to side and up and down wildly. I thought to myself, "That's probably what my eyes are doing right now." (REM). Then I saw both my eyes as though I was pressing my face to a mirror. (Still in black and yellow/golden, and the ears still ringing). It was like the back of my eyelids were mirrors. Then I heard a loud banging on the door of my room. (That would have woken me up if I hadn't experienced it before). But I was determined to just ride it out and see where it takes me.

And then it got weird, and I have never had this happen before.

I started to breath heavily out my nose and every time I did, I felt warm air blowing on the back of my neck. It was like I was 2 people, separated by a foot or so, and the other was behind me breathing on my neck. I breathed again and felt the warm air again. I just surrendered to it. After 4-5 more, the feeling on the back of my neck felt like someone pouring cold water on it. I thought to myself, "Why wouldn't that wake me up?" I was so calm I still didn't wake up. I did soon after, but I was in a different place and lucid right away.

The more you experience this phase, and write down your observations, the more accustomed to it you will become. And the more accustomed, the more relaxed you will be and not 'snap' out of it. I am no expert and will have failed attempts in the future, but practice makes perfect.

But here's my thoughts about the almost O.B.E. I have a feeling that if I could have somehow 'shifted my focus' to the 'being behind me', and then 'rolled out' or 'gotten up', it could have become an O.B.E. I felt like I was separated, but I was predominantly the one in front who was aware he was in bed. I hate to use the term 'astral body', but that is a good description of what I felt behind me.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Postby Peter » 14 Jan 2012 10:16

some of the effects are interesting and hard to eplain in terms of what we understand now. I had one OBE and was sitting up in bed I think but anyway I would touch or scratch say my right ear and feel the hand doing it to my left ear. Really odd feeling and I did it a few times just to make sure.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Littlelucid

Postby Littlelucid » 12 Mar 2012 05:54

I had the same problem, I lost all focus and snapped back to the real world. I tried to count from 100 down and it helped for a short period of time.

Return to “For Beginners”