How do I survive a killer?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Summerlander

Re: How do I survive a killer?

Postby Summerlander » 13 Feb 2014 03:00

Correction, dream characters cannot kill you in real life. A) people who died during sleep paralysis where often found to have health deficiencies, such as, rhythmic anomalies in their hearts, apneas etc. B) Nobody can be sure that, while they were dying, they were dreaming about being killed by people or monsters that don't exist! And they certainly didn't live to tell the tale! :-D

Furthermore, very few people die in sleep paralysis and this one isn't necessarily the cause or trigger either. You also get cases where people have died whilst sneezing. Stop fearmongering, Snaggle! LOL!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 13 Feb 2014 05:57

Summerlander wrote:Correction, dream characters cannot kill you in real life. A) people who died during sleep paralysis where often found to have health deficiencies, such as, rhythmic anomalies in their hearts, apneas etc. B) Nobody can be sure that, while they were dying, they were dreaming about being killed by people or monsters that don't exist! And they certainly didn't live to tell the tale! :-D

Furthermore, very few people die in sleep paralysis and this one isn't necessarily the cause or trigger either. You also get cases where people have died whilst sneezing. Stop fearmongering, Snaggle! LOL!

I'm not fear mongering Summerland.

Google Dr. Matrtin A. Samuels, Voodoo death revisited: the modern lessons of neurocardiology (only 9 pages and written by the leading expert on sudden death. The short version for those who don't want to read medical journals, yes, fear can induce heart or brain damage in healthy subjects.

or google "Sudden Unexpected Death Syndrome" Yes, the Old Hag actually kills plenty of people. Of course these are all people whom believed in her being real. Knowing that she's just a dream character should keep you safe from her by reducing your fear. Even if we assume that they all had weak hearts to start with, no one knows with certainty that they're not one of the people with one of those weak hearts. The idea that it was "weak hearts" was disproven by the experiments with rats sited in the Dr. Samuels article.

As a balancing bit of evidence, my four year old niece has a weak heart and suffers from night terrors (both medically diagnosed) and has not died of them. People suffering from Night Terrors normal look like they're awake when suffering them and if actually woken up don't remember they're dreaming, so are likely not in as intense terror as those suffering both Sleep Paralysis and Old Hag at the same time.

You are helping people by telling them you experience as they'll not believe the Old Hag can harm them. I'm pointing out that one can die from the Old Hag and the best defense against her is to abandon superstition and know she's not real.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 13 Feb 2014 09:39

Snaggle, you are misinformed and the truth about those deaths has already been established. Also, rats are rats, humans are humans.

Another thing. Not everyone with physiologicalmaladies will succumb in sleep paralysis or otherwise. Also, you want to compare your four-year old niece to a fully grown adult whose heart beats slower and irregularly? Come on, buddy. :-D

Nor to mention that you're dismissing a wide variety of heart conditions and illnesses associated with certsin regions of the brain. You are looking at the wrong sources, looking at mysticism and so-called ancient wisdom.

To reiterate to everyone, if you are healthy, you have nothing to fear about anything regarding sleep. Dreams don't kill and there is no Freddy Krueger. What kills you is a faulty heart forced to pump speedily with the release of adrenaline. Dreaming characters really killing you is just nonsense. B-)

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 19 Feb 2014 14:47

Goldkoron wrote: You cannot feel excruciating pain in a dream so you should not worry. Certainly you will feel a weird feeling where you were stabbed, but it should be relieving to face your fear and be stabbed and survive.

Wrong. I can feel excruiating pain in a dream. I fell hard in a LD onto concrete when trying to fly (even thou I believed I could if I tried hard).. and the pain was very bad (couldnt have been worst.. in my LD I almost passed out in pain). It truely felt as if I broke my ribs. It put me off of flying for years and I still actually dont.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 19 Feb 2014 18:43

Wrong. I can feel excruiating pain in a dream. I fell hard in a LD onto concrete when trying to fly (even thou I believed I could if I tried hard).. and the pain was very bad (couldnt have been worst.. in my LD I almost passed out in pain). It truely felt as if I broke my ribs. It put me off of flying for years and I still actually dont.

So far nobody else on this website or any other I have studied has reported having pain in a LD. I wonder why it does happen to you? :)

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Feb 2014 23:17

I've felt pain in a dream, but it's rare and fleeting whenever it did happen. It goes away as soon as you think of something else, in my experiences. Stubbing your toe, or getting a paper cut when awake are far worse than the perceived pain one can feel in a lucid dream. It's an illusion; It's mind over matter.

Now back to how to survive a killer....
I had a lucid dream two days ago, and was saying hello to people I met, when one guy, who seemed like a bully in a leather jacket showed up. I felt a little uneasy as if he was going to bully me, but I said, hello anyway. He said, I'm going to hurt you! I smirked and said, "Thought you'd say that". (My own emotion of uneasiness turned him into a bully, and I know this all too well in my dreams). So I just stood my ground and thought, 'what's he gonna do about it? He can't hurt me.' He threw a punch right into my face, but his fist stopped inches from my eyes. I didn't flinch. Then he took his index finger and tried to poke my eye, but again, I just stood there, and it stopped before it touched me. Nothing happened. Then I joked and grabbed his hand and admitted, "OK, a finger in the eye bothers me. You almost had me, there." Then I walked away and ignored him. ( I was the man! :mrgreen: )

(I got poked in the eye by a bad, antagonizing Dream Character back in December, so it's an inside joke between me and my dreams. It didn't actually hurt that last time though. It was just very uncomfortable and annoying. Once you ignore your primal 'self preservation' instincts, pain is not an alarm for something bad happening to our bodies the way it was designed, but just a sensation, and nothing more. Mind over matter).

(That's also why I do a ton of reality checks before doing something crazy in a lucid dream, because I need to make absolutely sure there are no physical consequences when a dream, and perceived dream body are both highly vivid.)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Feb 2014 22:49

HAGART wrote:I've felt pain in a dream, but it's rare and fleeting whenever it did happen. It goes away as soon as you think of something else, in my experiences. Stubbing your toe, or getting a paper cut when awake are far worse than the perceived pain one can feel in a lucid dream. It's an illusion; It's mind over matter.

Now back to how to survive a killer....
I had a lucid dream two days ago, and was saying hello to people I met, when one guy, who seemed like a bully in a leather jacket showed up. I felt a little uneasy as if he was going to bully me, but I said, hello anyway. He said, I'm going to hurt you! I smirked and said, "Thought you'd say that". (My own emotion of uneasiness turned him into a bully, and I know this all too well in my dreams). So I just stood my ground and thought, 'what's he gonna do about it? He can't hurt me.' He threw a punch right into my face, but his fist stopped inches from my eyes. I didn't flinch. Then he took his index finger and tried to poke my eye, but again, I just stood there, and it stopped before it touched me. Nothing happened. Then I joked and grabbed his hand and admitted, "OK, a finger in the eye bothers me. You almost had me, there." Then I walked away and ignored him. ( I was the man! :mrgreen: )

(I got poked in the eye by a bad, antagonizing Dream Character back in December, so it's an inside joke between me and my dreams. It didn't actually hurt that last time though. It was just very uncomfortable and annoying. Once you ignore your primal 'self preservation' instincts, pain is not an alarm for something bad happening to our bodies the way it was designed, but just a sensation, and nothing more. Mind over matter).

(That's also why I do a ton of reality checks before doing something crazy in a lucid dream, because I need to make absolutely sure there are no physical consequences when a dream, and perceived dream body are both highly vivid.)

In a way pain even in real life can be said to be a mental state of perceiving pain eg people can be hypnotised out of pain perception and major operations have been done without anesthetics when hypnosis has been used. Here in Australia their was a major stomach surgery done on someone using just hypnosis.

I agree that pain in dreams is usually fleeting but it does depend on just how severe the pain is in the dream. Yes pain in a dream should go as soon as one can get their mind off the situation and what they just felt. I know thou I couldnt take my mind off of the pain of having like broken ribs in the LD after I slammed down onto the concrete in my failed flying attempt.. just like in real life if one was experiencing broken ribs and someone told you to "just forget about the pain you are feeling" could you just forget about the pain you are feeling at the time when your now moment is extreme pain?, it can be far easier said then done.

Hence Ive had to wake myself up during a LD due to unbearable pain. In my case my dreams feel extremely real at times (even when I know they arent!) and emotions and maybe even pain may be even more intensifed then in real life for some of us.

I think everyone does experience their dreams differently... LD isnt a one size fits all thing and for some feelings in dreams may be stronger then for others.. very varied experiences occur.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Feb 2014 22:55

casey wrote:You need to aproach him with a friendly vibe and ask him why he is trying to cut a bitch, that should work

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

That is actually fairly good advice, our fears if confronted in a dream usually go away. If you are capable thou of feeling pain thou and worried about that, you can friendly confront him but also at the same time imagine that you are wearing armor to protect yourself from the knife.

Till you are prepared to confront your fear.. there isnt much chance of overcoming your dream nightmare. Note- note Ive found even if Im extremely scared while confronting a scary DC, it can still work. eg I was in a LD stuck in a little row boat with a demon DC with growing red eyes who wanted to see me dead.. even thou scared of him and worried as I was so scared that it may not work, I still managed to force myself to stand up and face him and change him to an innocent child I wasnt anymore scared of.

How I dealt with the very scary demon DC character coming towards me and willed him into a very young boy and how I suggest you try to to do something like this too (if trying to talk to him wearing armour doesnt work, that is even IF it happens again, it may not).. is I shut my eyes as the demon was coming towards me (that was the hardest part, shutting ones eyes and standing there when something one preceives as a threat is about to get one) ..then just thought of him being a little boy I wasnt afraid of. You may be suprised how easy it can be to control a dream in this manner.

Another thing you could do other then wake yourself up .. is to shut your eyes and spin.. all the while imagining that you will then find yourself in some safe location (you dont have to imagine the location but just hold the thought in mind that whenever you end up will be a "safe" one).
Last edited by taniaaust1 on 20 Feb 2014 23:10, edited 1 time in total.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Feb 2014 23:04

Mike Park wrote:It was only my 2nd lucid dream ever. I don't think I was fully lucid for sure. Because if I was fully lucid I wouldn't have been so afraid. Or maybe I was fully lucid and I was still scared. It was only my 2nd lucid dream and I'm a complete new bid so I dont know

It is possible to be fully lucid and still extremely scared in a LD. Ive had that before and even thou one in this situation knows the DC cant kill you, the dream still be can very very scary and the subconciousness (rather then the conciousness) may be like innerly screaming at you "its going to kill you" thou logically you know it wont

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Feb 2014 23:15

Snaggle wrote:3. You may or may not be able to practice dream control against these types of characters, though gainibg the ability to wake out of the nightmare is much easier than trying to make friends with it or transform it into something else.

Its debatable whether waking up from a nightmare is easier then trying to transform a LD nightmare into something else. For some, it can be the worst thing to try to wake up during a LD nightmare and may result in them having false awakenings and end up waking up in nightmare after nightmare.

I myself found it extremely easy to change extremely scary DC into something else, the first time I tried to do this. So Im going to say that people wont know how hard or easy things are unless they try. The trick is.. Just do not try to change something while you are looking at it. To change a DC look away from it or shut your eyes while trying to change it. Just strongly will it thinking "you will change into a *****" (whatever you want it to, you do not need to think about how this thing will even look or need to think about the technicalities... just hold strong your goal)

On a logical level, Im going to say that you are trying to change a scary DC, it possibly may be easier to change a scary one to something else then a friendly DC in your dream (if you tried it on one of those first.. so if you tried that and couldnt, it doesnt necessarily mean much). Im suggesting it could be easier to change a scary one not just cause Ive easily done it but also based on the fact that if you are extremely scared of something, you then have an INTENSE DESIRE powered by strong emotions even if powered by fear.. an extremely strong desire to change it. So that can work for you. Dream manifestations are powered by emotions and desire.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”