Dreaming about dreaming....

Share your most awesome, bizarre or lifelike dreams of the non-lucid variety. Tell us about your weirdest nightmares and false awakenings.
HAGART

Dreaming about dreaming....

Postby HAGART » 15 Feb 2014 00:53

I've heard others ask if they had a lucid dream or if they were dreaming about lucid dreaming. Here's an example I had last night:

I was in a theater and there were little, black, gremlin-like things running amuck and capturing people, for what I assumed was something evil, perhaps to torture them. But I wasn't phased by it at all. One even got close to me, right in my face, and I thought, "This is what others would call a nightmare. If only they could see this they'd understand some of the dark imagery we can sometimes see in dreams, but they are just images and there is nothing to fear". Then I thought, "I better not keep thinking about this because later I will dream and I don't want these images to ruin my dream".

Stupid me knew it wasn't real, but at the same time, didn't think I was dreaming either. This can happen when you spend too much time thinking about lucid dreaming and not actually doing it. You end up thinking about the concept of dreams, with an irrational dream mind, in a dream, without realizing you yourself are dreaming.

Although I wouldn't classify this as a lucid dream, I was at least a little bit aware that it wasn't real, but doing the simple math of putting 2 and 2 together escaped my understanding at the time. When you do lucid dream from a DILD there is an undeniable Eureka moment. That is the difference. I didn't get it this time, but hey, it happens....
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Re: Dreaming about dreaming....

Postby Summerlander » 15 Feb 2014 02:18

There is an article in the Lucidity Institute website that explains this dream experience you had. It is a dream but also perhaps a tiny step closer, but still distant, from the other side of the spectrum where the experience starts to be considered as a full lucid dream. There is also theory in this article behind what might be going on in the brain. Wouldn't you like to know about what was going on with your brain at the time, eh, Hagart? I'll post it tomorrow as soon as I switch my PC on! ;-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Feb 2014 05:15

Way ahead of you and already think of lucidity as a point on a continuum. No points, unless people want to define them, and no beginning or an end. :shock: :ugeek: (Always open for a deeper discussion)

I looked for the link, but I guess it comes to those that wait.

But I've heard this story over and over again: Dream about lucid dreaming. I thought I'd say something. It does happen and it happened before for me, and most likely will again, in times to come.

But if anyone is reading this and wondering, "Am I close?", or "Is this a lucid dream?". NO and YES, no It's not a full blown lucid dream, but yes, it's almost there.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 15 Feb 2014 11:05

I'm sure the continuum isn't news for you but you will be even happier when you look at the detailed theory in the article about the brain function involved, and don't worry, it's not too technical, it is more about how the mind sort of reflect what goes on internally. Something along the lines of models of reality and personality competing. Patience, son, I'll link you soon. :-D

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Jackson

Postby Jackson » 15 Feb 2014 23:00

I had an experienece very similar to yours, Hagart. I wasn't lucid but I wasn't non-lucid either, it was more like I was watching someone else do things in their lucid dream or perhaps I was watching myself do what I think lucid dreaming connotates. Just thought I would share that :D

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Feb 2014 23:27

It's like an emotional detachment from the reality of the dream. So on the one hand we know it's not real, and there is no self to get harmed, but on the other hand, we don't realize it's a dream. It's like the dream is just a movie.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 16 Feb 2014 00:26

Read the whole article. This is paramount and very relevant. And enjoy! 8-)
http://www.lucidity.com/VOLDE.html

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Feb 2014 01:34

Thanks for the link. I'm a slow reader, so it may take a while, but I read the introduction. They had me at 'eroticism'! (We all know what that's like in a lucid dream and I'm becoming less and less ashamed to admit it).

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 16 Feb 2014 02:47

Human nature! :-D

It gets more relevant to the spectrum between lucid and non-lucid later on...

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 28 Feb 2014 04:30

UPDATE:

I found it hard to read online so I printed it out and made a hard copy. It looks enticing.
This will be some bed-time reading for me for a few days, (I'm a slow methodical reader), but I will probably use quotes from it in the future, I just know it.

Anyway, thanks for the link and I'm getting around to it in my own time.

Return to “Share Your Non-Lucid Dreams”