What do people see during sleep paralysis?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Jack Reacher

Re: What do people see during sleep paralysis?

Postby Jack Reacher » 19 Feb 2014 09:39

Waking up in your bed in the middle to find you can't move, and then realizing the reason why you can't move is because you are paralyzed with fear due to a figure standing in your doorway. The idea that you are powerless magnifies the fear instantly. Its intense.

Simply waking up and not even being able to open your eyelids or move your body in the slightest way can send you into a panic. The panic happens so instantaneously that the mind usually has to conjure up some explanation as to why you can't move, most involve you being paralyzed with fear. So the scenario will differ form person to person, it depends on the context you are currently in. Its why so many people used to claim they were abducted by aliens, it was a reasonable explanation at the time.

At least, this is how I view it all.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Dark wolf

Postby Dark wolf » 19 Feb 2014 13:38

I had one sleep paralyses in my life.. And my vision was purple and saw freaky figures flying around in my room; Hearing weird music in the back of my mind.
Life is a gift, Not a right.

Postby Mars » 19 Feb 2014 23:57

I've had a few bouts of SP-- just random bits of it after waking up in the middle of the night. I've never seen anything, but I've heard a voice call out my name before in a surprisingly frightening voice. Nothing else happened, it just called my name, and everything went quiet aside from my clearly pounding heart. I just squeezed my eyes shut until I could finally function again; then I just quietly got up and turned on the lights in my room. I sat on my bed for a little bit until I could calm myself down and go back to sleep.

I've yet to actually see anything, but I've heard some scary stuff, which is partially why I just keep my eyes closed until I can move again, and by habit, go turn on my lights after it's over. xD It just, personally, helps me calm down faster.

The other few I've endured, I just couldn't move. Both times, I found myself with my face in my pillow, which made it very hard to breathe and sent me into a panic, but I always recovered fairly quickly.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”