Failed reality check

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
GalMutzafy

Failed reality check

Postby GalMutzafy » 17 Feb 2014 07:44

Today I had a dream where I looked at my hand as a reality check but it was seems like my hand was like a fist but I remmember that I thought about lucid dreaming but I wasn't lucid...

After that the dream was just going on but vividly enough that I can remmember.

Does this happend to you?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary - Ashleigh Brilliant

taniaaust1

Re: Failed reality check

Postby taniaaust1 » 19 Feb 2014 14:22

One can "dream" about anything at all.. even have a non lucid dream about reality checking.

I once non lucid dreamed that I was having a lucid dream.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

GalMutzafy

Postby GalMutzafy » 19 Feb 2014 19:50

taniaaust1 wrote:One can "dream" about anything at all.. even have a non lucid dream about reality checking.

I once non lucid dreamed that I was having a lucid dream.

I had a dream once that untill now I am not really sure it was a lucid dream that I wasnt conscious almost at all, or It was just a vivid dream about lucid dreaming...
The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary - Ashleigh Brilliant

Jacob46719

Postby Jacob46719 » 19 Feb 2014 22:46

The primary reality check I use is plugging my nose. It works 100% of the time.
Never underestimate the power of the ponies.

GalMutzafy

Postby GalMutzafy » 20 Feb 2014 06:37

Jacob46719 wrote:The primary reality check I use is plugging my nose. It works 100% of the time.

I use it extra to the hands checking, every time I did a reality check in a dream it was the hands checking.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Feb 2014 23:38

Jacob46719 wrote:The primary reality check I use is plugging my nose. It works 100% of the time.

That one doesnt work for me, I find I cant breath and it becomes unbearable cause I cant breath . In my lucids.. I actually have have to create an oxygen mask and tank in my dream as I started drowning when I go underwater even thou I knew it was a dream and that shouldnt happen. My mind is tricky, it tends to have issues doing in LDs the things it cant do in real life.. hence even with years of experience in LD, I still cant fly (thou my mind allows me to float).

I personally think a combo of reality checks is the best.. eg things like above for those things like this work, combined with other reality checks not based on possibly being able to do things you cant in real life. Plugging the nose is a good one to try as it does successfully work for many. Just be aware that it doesnt work for all so its always good to have more then one reality check in mind to try if you do not know if this works for you or not.

Xtreme_Walrus

Postby Xtreme_Walrus » 21 Feb 2014 01:33

I myself use 3 reality checks for the most part. My favorite one, plugging my nose, then looking at my hands, and finally if there is a clock to look at it. I have had all three of those reality checks fail. But, not in the same dream.

That's why it's always good to do multiple reality checks. No reality check is 100% guaranteed
"I woke up in between a memory and a dream" -Tom Petty

GalMutzafy

Postby GalMutzafy » 21 Feb 2014 06:45

taniaaust1 wrote:

That one doesnt work for me, I find I cant breath and it becomes unbearable cause I cant breath . In my lucids.. I actually have have to create an oxygen mask and tank in my dream as I started drowning when I go underwater even thou I knew it was a dream and that shouldnt happen. My mind is tricky, it tends to have issues doing in LDs the things it cant do in real life.. hence even with years of experience in LD, I still cant fly (thou my mind allows me to float).

I personally think a combo of reality checks is the best.. eg things like above for those things like this work, combined with other reality checks not based on possibly being able to do things you cant in real life. Plugging the nose is a good one to try as it does successfully work for many. Just be aware that it doesnt work for all so its always good to have more then one reality check in mind to try if you do not know if this works for you or not.

Two reality checks (The hands checking and the nose plugging) are good enough in your opinion?

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 22 Apr 2014 10:01

A similar thing happened to me last night. I dreamt i was inside my car and i accidentally set the inside on fire. I quickly rushed out of the car with my almost melted but still functioning phone. i asked a nearby person to call the fire department and they did so and i turned around to see my car almost completely black and covered in ash and stuff. I walked away thinking this cannot be real, i must be dreaming so i looked at m palm and tried pressing my fingers through my hand, but they didn't go through so i actually thought that i was awake and i had actually just set my car on fire. I realized when i woke up i did a reality check, but it didn't work, and also, i haven't done reality checks since about 6 months ago?

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 25 Apr 2014 00:29

GalMutzafy wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote: Two reality checks (The hands checking and the nose plugging) are good enough in your opinion?

Id think so as long as they havent failed for that person. By fail I mean they appeared completely normal when the person was thinking properly to analyse them.

In your dream you said your hand appeared as a fist so wasnt really how you'd be expected unless you had fisted it on purpose, a hand as a clutched fist which one hasnt done that to to hand would be a sign of a dream. Your case of reality check failure rather seems to be that you didnt have enough normal awareness to work out what you were experiencing wasnt quite right rather then the check itself.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”