Dream Characters /not/ in Lucid Dreams?

What have you learned from your dream characters? What do they say, what do they represent, what motivates them, why do they exist?
Mars

Dream Characters /not/ in Lucid Dreams?

Postby Mars » 20 Feb 2014 00:25

I do actually have more questions than just that one, hehe. //points up at title//
That question's technically not even finished, I guess... I hope it's okay for me to ask them here. xD

But, basically! I'm a newbie Lucid Dreamer-- haven't had a Lucid Dream yet-- but I've been recording in a dream journal. I woke up this morning with a rough image of two characters from the {nonlucid} dream I'd had and quickly wrote them down before I forgot. They were interesting characters-- those kind of characters that you're not really sure why your mind would have conjured them up-- and if/when I can manage to have some Lucid Dreams, I kind of want to see if I can find those particular two characters again just to ask them things.

So, I suppose my question is-- can characters that appear in non lucid dreams, also appear in lucid dreams? I assume they can since they're technically both dreams, but one with consciousness-- I'm just curious, really. X:

And just to add onto that, do you ever see a Dream Character more than once? If I remember correctly, they're apparently very fickle? Are they just ever-changing? Like, a once-here-never-again sort of thing? Has anyone seen a DC more than once in Lucid Dreams? ' w ' ?

I apologize for the questions again-- Dream Characters are generally very intriguing to me. :3 !

The two that I met in my Non-Lucid dream were these odd pair of...hybrids?? I don't remember much from their shoulders down, but one had the head of an Orca, and the other had the head of a Dolphin. They were both wearing suits, and we were all chilling on a boat somewhere in the arctic. [And with all the reading I've been doing on Lucid Dreaming, I was kind of surprised that I didn't realize it was a dream, at that point... xD] I'm fairly certain they spoke to me, but I couldn't remember anything they'd said when I woke up.

If I can, and once I do start having LD dreams, I'd kind of like to see if I can find that pair again. Most characters I meet and remember in my [still, non lucid] dreams are people that I know or random strangers... Meeting Orca/Dolphin people on a boat in the arctic is certainly a first.

HAGART

Re: Dream Characters /not/ in Lucid Dreams?

Postby HAGART » 20 Feb 2014 01:43

All good questions!
(wait... let me adjust the color...)

That's Better! :mrgreen:
This whole section is devoted to people's accounts, and stories, talking to people in dreams.

I personally haven't met the same Dream Character twice (I mean strangers in dreams we talk to... Ignore friends and family). I've even considered that they may be my subconscious personified, so perhaps it doesn't matter what they look like in the dream. They are always the same thing or 'entity' behind the veneer. But I've asked them if they know who I am and if they remember the last time we met in a previous lucid dream, but they all either said, "No", or something nonsensical. For me, they are always a clean slate all over again.

I find them intriguing too.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 20 Feb 2014 02:02

I have seen DCs crop up in more than one dream, so yes it is possible. However I wasn't really looking for them, so I guess if you put your mind to it and summoned them when you're lucid, then you can meet them again no problem.

There is the slightly delicate matter of what you have actually summoned. Are they the 'same' as the DCs you saw before, or are they spontaneously generated copies? But that's another topic...

In short, you can see the same DCs between dreams. Try it when you become lucid. (There is a good article on this website about summoning DCs).
Dreaming is my drug

Mars

Postby Mars » 20 Feb 2014 02:42

@Hagart;;
Hehe, what a lovely green. x3
Ah, how interesting! I was kind of wondering; the reason I want to see these two is partially because I want to know whether they are something personified from my subconscious and...well, what in the world an orca & dolphin person would even represent, haha. I suppose they might just be random Dream Characters, and maybe I will never see them again when I do start LD'ing. :3 Who knows!
Quick question again, if you don't mind! o: I think I understood what you're saying, but I'm not entirely sure if I do. :3
So when you meet that personified subconscious...entity...thing {my vocabulary is so very broad}, it's always the same thing? Have you ever met a different Dream Character that has represented the same thing as a previous one? I gathered that you've never met the Dream Character twice, but... 0 /)(\ 0
I am full of questions, I must apologize, haha.

That's really interesting, though. n w n ! It's like, endless dream characters! && They really are very intriguing. There's just something about them that really catches my attention. :3 I'm not sure what, but I guess it's partially that they could very well be a personified bit of your subconscious. I just find that so neat! xD
I suppose the other little bit might be because I'm an artist, and I have a flurry of characters that I've created. It makes me curious to see what my subconscious might conjure up, I suppose!

@Torakrubik;;
Have you? Huh! I have considered that-- ahh, the summoning thing-- and I have actually read the article on it! Twice, I think, haha. { I get bored during my classes, sometimes... x3 }
It did mention, however, things about them being very finicky {at least when you change a DC}, and switching rather quickly into a stranger if the subconscious doesn't comply with the new appearance... Something along those lines. X: I'm not good with quick paraphrasing, ack, but I'm sure I will give it a try, regardless! {I could also be referring to something entirely different. xD I lose track a bit... }

&& Referring to the 'spontaneously generated copies'-- can I bother you a little and ask what exactly that means? x3 If you don't mind? As in they're the same appearance-wise, but not exactly the same in the things that they might have to say? Something like that?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 20 Feb 2014 03:04

It's just a pointless psychic soup fermented by the only true god: Chaos.B-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Mars

Postby Mars » 20 Feb 2014 03:10

@Summerlander;;
Haha, well, I certainly don't doubt that it'll be chaotic~! I haven't experienced it yet, but from what I'm gathering from reading and what I understand about dreams as is: it's going to be a lot of hooplah. (8 Exciting {and maybe terrifying} hooplah!! But hooplah and chaos and 'What is even happening right now' things, nonetheless, hehe.
Still quite excited for whatever that "pointless psychic soup"'s got to throw at me, but, I guess I'll see when it happens~! :3

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 20 Feb 2014 05:21

When I say "same Dream Character", I mean the same type. They say things beyond me willing it, and I often wonder, "How did you say that, without me thinking it first?" They seem to have a life of their own sometimes and are quite talkative at times. I think it's "a layer of subconscious" speaking to me, which doesn't have a voice when I'm awake, but it does when I'm in a dream state.

They are coherent sometimes and speak nonsense the next, so I take it with a grain of salt.

It doesn't matter what they look like. I prefer to examine them based on their type of behavior and how logical they seem, ignoring whatever shape or form they take.

(This is just my own opinion of course, so listen to others too and make your own decision. That's what I like about this forum though... it's not in a book, it's first hand accounts).
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 21 Feb 2014 00:56

You can bring the characters from non lucid dreams into a lucid one (thou I havent tried that yet but I know it can be done as any can any character you want can be brought into a LD).

One thing Ive found interesting with my LDs is that I never meet the same character twice (unless its someone I know from real life. Ive several times got double copies of people I know from real life in the same dream). Ive spent years looking for a reoccurring character naturally there. I guess thou seeing our subconsciousness creates these characters, we have an unlimited amount of different ways it can make them look.

I'll will keep looking and one day I know I will find a reincurring DC. (I go about nowdays often investigating my DCs).

If you are an artist... you'll just love LDs for inspirational ideas and scenes.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 21 Feb 2014 03:26

Mars wrote:@Hagart;;

@Torakrubik;;
Have you? Huh! I have considered that-- ahh, the summoning thing-- and I have actually read the article on it! Twice, I think, haha. { I get bored during my classes, sometimes... x3 }
It did mention, however, things about them being very finicky {at least when you change a DC}, and switching rather quickly into a stranger if the subconscious doesn't comply with the new appearance... Something along those lines. X: I'm not good with quick paraphrasing, ack, but I'm sure I will give it a try, regardless! {I could also be referring to something entirely different. xD I lose track a bit... }

&& Referring to the 'spontaneously generated copies'-- can I bother you a little and ask what exactly that means? x3 If you don't mind? As in they're the same appearance-wise, but not exactly the same in the things that they might have to say? Something like that?

Indeed it takes a fair amount of focus to sustain a consciously generated DC, even more so when interacting with it. Quite often this causes your concentration to diverge from other areas such as your surroundings and the dream can collapse. But don't let any of this bother you, have a go!

Sure. So I basically mean even if you meet what appears to be the same DC, is it actually the one from a previous dream? It could just look the same, having been created just now by the concious mind. Or is it truly the same character from a previous dream, that 'remembers' you and has the same experiences. It's difficult to explain, largely because scientific knowledge on DCs is almost non-existent, we can't really define what they are exactly.

If you buy into the popular theory that they represent different parts of your personality, then you could posit with some confidence that returning DCs are the same as they were before - a defining aspect of your personality.
If, however you believe they are purely creations of the subconscious with no meaning attached, then it's probably more reasonable to assume that they are randomly generated in each dream and that you will never meet the 'same' one twice, regardless of how similar they might look.
Of course the slightly more ambitious theory of DCs being actual entities of some kind, with their own conciousness and origin (astral plane, parallel universe, the ideas are endless) suggests that it is almost certain that upon meeting the same DC in a dream, that DC is a being that has also met you for the second time. Maybe they're having this same discussion as you're reading this?

Food for thought. Hope this makes a bit more sense.
Dreaming is my drug

Guitar48300

Postby Guitar48300 » 21 Feb 2014 05:10

Purple ftw 8-)

Idk about any original DC's but I've seen some DC's from stuff I like multiple times
Roxas: Did you have fun chatting with the ghosts?
Sora: You shouldn't call them "ghosts". Sure something seemed a little off but I'm sure they're still my friends

-KH Re:coded
xat.com/luciddreamers if anyone wants to use it

Return to “Dream Characters”