LD journey updates & questions!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
DCellLucid

LD journey updates & questions!

Postby DCellLucid » 02 Feb 2014 14:39

Hey all!

I decided as a way to keep me motivated and on track to my LD goal, I would set up this thread, where I will (try!) and regularly keep updates on my progress. If you happen to click on this thread and I've been lazy and it's been 3 or 4 days since an update then a prompt for an update would be appreciated :D

As of yet I haven't had any LD, but am up to date with the techniques and what is required as a beginner. If you want to get a bit of an idea of what stage I'm at you can see my thread in the 'Introduce Yourself' section. So anyway - on with the updates! :)

Update/Question 1:
--------------------

Still no lucid dreams yet, although I managed to remember and write down 5 dreams the other night which is a record for me (although my hand did hurt after writing so much!). One thing I'd say I'm struggling with is my reality checks. I have been trying to do them but the main things I seem to find difficult are:

1. When my reminder prompts me to do them when I'm in conversation with someone/in company that I can't get away from quickly I end up not doing them (and I suppose this proves a problem if I think the same thing in the dream!).

2. I am overly conscious of trying to ask the "Am I Dreaming?" question genuinely, when I find that I don't remotely think in any way that I'm dreaming and feel stupid asking it. I'm sure it's a common problem but has anyone got any tips on this front? It's probably even more difficult when you haven't had a LD yet as well.

I've also started trying to implement the WBTB and DEILD into my sleeping pattern, which has probably helped me to remember more dreams. I also log the time going to bed, and log the time I wake up after a dream in my dream journal to try and build up a REM map of my sleep, so I'll see how that goes :D.

Also, if any of you fancy joining me in keeping updates of your progress on this thread, then please feel free! The more the merrier :)

TillyPink

Re: LD journey updates & questions!

Postby TillyPink » 04 Feb 2014 00:15

Have a tip on the 'Am I dreaming' question. Find a nice big apparent tree. Go and sit near it. Get comfy. Wrap up if it is cold. Look up at the branches. Plan 5 - 10 mins of this. Notice not so much the branches, but the spaces that exist between the branches. Notice the abstract patterns. They might seem quite amazing when you do (or perhaps not), but relax if the 'wow factor' comes by you and just keep noticing the spaces between the branches. There is the 'soft stare' and the 'hard stare'. You want the 'soft stare'. The soft stare happens when you relax your gaze and almost look through something. You want to be aware of looking 'through' it, not hard 'at it'. Continue this for the time i suggested...if pos, just after the point that your body decides it's bored and wants to move. Enjoy your time. Make sure you have time. Nothing else to do. Nowhere else to go. Ask yourself at any point you become relaxed...'Am i dreaming?' Don't say it outloud, say it in your head. If the question jolts you out of the moment...relax...nothing else to do...no where else to go...carry on soft gazing...and ask yourself the same question again.

Jackson

Postby Jackson » 12 Feb 2014 03:53

I think it is time for an update... :lol:

Archvenom

Postby Archvenom » 12 Feb 2014 05:25

Jackson wrote:I think it is time for an update... :lol:

Agreed

[ Post made via Android ] Image

DCellLucid

Postby DCellLucid » 16 Feb 2014 13:46

Jackson wrote:I think it is time for an update... :lol:

:D Thanks - damn I knew I would be bad at doing this! :lol:

Here is the very long overdue update!

-----------

Things have been progressing a bit slower than I had hoped! However I did have a kind of lucid experience in a dream about 10 days ago:

The dream started with me being a goalkeeper in a football match and being AWFUL. Anyway... I ended up lying down for some reason and looked up at the sky and saw strange figures carved into the clouds, at which point I became aware that it was a dream, but everything still remained very fuzzy. I remember someone coming and picking me up and carrying me off the pitch but I couldn't control my movements or actions or anything, it was like I was just a witness of the dream from within my dream body but couldn't do anything, and it wasn't very vivid at all, which meant it was a strange experience! It also only lasted about 10 seconds.

Any thoughts on that? I was disappointed that what I remember from the dream was still extremely fuzzy and I wasn't able to do anything at all!

I'm finding dream journaling pretty difficult at the moment because I end up losing so much sleep. If I write down all my dreams during the night I will end up with a full dream journal within about 2 weeks I think, so I'm not sure if I should be writing ALL of them down (sometimes there can be 4-5+ in one night). I only put down bullet points during the night to expand on the next day, but when I have so many to write down the next day I often end up not doing it because it just takes up so much time! I'm wondering whether it is necessary to write down every dream in detail the next day or whether to leave them as bullet points? What are your experiences with journalling?

Anyway that's where I'm up to at the moment, I haven't been very disciplined for the last 5 days so am planning on getting going again today/tonight! I'm also wondering, how often do you think it is good to practice techniques such as DEILD and WBTB? I found that after trying to practice it 2 or 3 days in a row I was horribly tired the following day

Thanks!

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 16 Feb 2014 22:36

That's weird-I've had an LD where I realised whilst doing shockingly bad in a game of football before as well ;)

I think for the dream journal so long as it's enough for you to remember the events it doesn't need to be a full on novel-just enough to trigger your memory helps for me!

I only try WBTB if I can have a lie-in in the morning ;)
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

DCellLucid

Postby DCellLucid » 20 Feb 2014 12:58

Hey all!

Been a few days since my last update so thought I'd write another. Thanks for feedback given so far :)

Exciting update this time - a semi-long, semi-lucid dream last night with quite interesting content, I would like to know your opinions on my experience. I will write out the dream as is in my dream journal:

"I'm talking to some girls in an entrance to a building. I think I recognise one from my childhood. There is a stall next to me selling chocolate, so I go and buy a mint aero. When I turn round I find myself in some kind of room with chairs all around the side, like a waiting room or something similar. A woman tells me they have someone who wants to meet me, at which point I become lucid. The woman then brings through the door an older lady, who walks up to me. I then remember some things I've been reading in a book recently and ask her "What do you represent?". Things start to go a bit fuzzy so I really concentrate on her and concentrate on my awareness which helps stabilise the dream. She looks at me confused, so I reiterate my question, "What do you represent?". She then replies "The perfect person". I'm slightly confused by the response, so go to another person in the room and ask them the same question. They then reply and say to me "What are you on about, why are you asking me this question?" and I then ask again slightly more forcefully. (At this point I'm in a bit of a jittery, funny mood because the whole situation is so strange so I think I come across too forceful/anxious when asking the questions, and I don't really remember the answer this person gave - something to do with representing how I perceive myself). I then ask the group of dream figures who are now all quiet "Tell me my greatest fears", to which they reply with some nonsense and all start laughing together. I start to get a bit annoyed and shout out to the dream "Please tell me what my greatest fears are". I look at all the people sitting in front of me and there eyes have turned blank white, like something out of a horror movie - I find it slightly odd but not disturbing. One of the people sitting says to me "Ok, your greatest fear is now on its way here". I'm a bit startled by this comment and start to get worried so rush out of the building into a big square. I decide to change my approach to the dream as I feel I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. I decide to experiment with flying. I jump a couple of times, getting increasingly higher, to the top of a tall tree, but don't ever manage to stay suspended in air. I then remember what I read about intention and about focussing on being pulled towards something rather then exerting effort into pushing away from something. I then look to the top of a cathedral on the side of the square and imagine being pulled towards it. With this I have much more success and am able to fly a bit, but it doesn't last very long before I fall to the ground. I then see a man fly into the square facing the building I was previously in. He looks very big and starts shooting at the building using superman-style laser vision! I then fly past him also trying to shoot at him but he sees me and starts chasing me. I eventually somehow manage to lose him by tricking him into following a diversion."

By this point in the dream I keep going in and out of lucidity. It felt very strange, like when you're accidently nodding off in a lecture or something and your body suddenly jolts itself back into awareness. I don't know whether this man was meant to represent a fear or was simply some kind of defense mechanism to stop me from finding out the answer? Anyway, instead of waking up at this point, I have a false awakening type experience straight into the middle of another dream in which I was telling my brother about the lucid dream I had just had! This dream actually feels like it lasts quite a while as well, so when I finally wake up the lucid dream feels like a distant memory and so I don't really know how lucid I was and don't actually think the lucid dream was really vivid, but that is just perhaps because I can't remember it as well not waking straight from it? Any thoughts on this experience, any tips? What kind of experience have you all had with asking dream characters to provide interpretation of the dream?

This was actually my first real lucid dream (although I'm still not convinced I was 100% lucid, otherwise it would have been more vivid) and there was a lot of content in it which definitely surprised me! I actually woke feeling slightly shaken by some of the things I saw but definitely has given me reason to try and get to that state again! :)

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 21 Feb 2014 09:55

Congrats :)

One of the people sitting says to me "Ok, your greatest fear is now on its way here". I'm a bit startled by this comment and start to get worried so rush out of the building into a big square.

LOL. I find it funny that you asked your DCs what your greatest fear was and then ran as soon as you were about to see. You could of had one heck of a LD nightmare at that point.

ummm I may try that some time as I dont know what my greatest fear is.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

DCellLucid

Postby DCellLucid » 28 Feb 2014 12:49

Hey all - another update!

Just to say thanks to the people who have responded and kept me going, being able to share my journey has been really useful to me in keeping motivated! :mrgreen:

Last night I had my 2nd lucid dream! :D This time I had a much more simple and direct goal: to increase the vividness of the dream. When I became lucid things went fuzzy very quickly, like the sensation of light headedness when you get up too fast or when you're just about to faint. Has anyone else had a similar feeling? Anyway, I tried to concentrate on the dream characters and dreamscape around me to stabilise the dream but it wasn't working and the dream was becoming more and more fuzzy. I then remembered to look at my hands and really concentrate. This helped a lot and most of the fuzziness dissappeared from the dream (although not totally). I then remembered my goal and began really focussing on the dreamscape around me, looking at the little garden fence design next to me and observing the deep green of the grass etc. and remember being very amazed at some of the detail. I was with my family in the dream, and after observing the dreamscape closely I decided to try and fly, but as I lifted off my brother grabbed me (by my ankle i think!) and dragged me back down to the ground whilst laughing. This was quite annoying as after this I couldn't even jump any higher than in waking life! My brothers then started jumping around trying to fly as well, laughing, possibly mocking me? :lol: Quite an interesting case of conscious and unexpected dream character actions!

It was certainly an interesting experience, but like my first LD, it felt like a distant memory. Although I remember that I was amazed at the detail whilst dreaming, it feels like it happened 10 years ago not last night and I therefore can't remember the vividness that well. I suppose I want to feel when I wake up that the dream was like yesterday's memory because when it feels so distant and unclear the excitement doesn't carry on after I wake up so much. I think I've found it difficult to get my semi-awake self to write down my dreams during the night recently and have therefore had much less success in recording things in my dream journal. I nearly didn't write anything after waking after my lucid dream! Have any of you got any tips for improving this because I sometimes wake up with just a dream character in my head with no context and feel it's so insignificant and I really don't know what I would write so just go back to sleep.

Another thing is that my general life routing (sleeping,work etc.) has been improved SO much over the last couple of weeks and generally throughout the day I've been feeling much more awake and alive which means my reality checks etc. have felt much more genuine and more frequent. Has anyone else found that good routines and not being tired during the day helps with dream life? I happen to have had my first 2 lucid dreams in the last 2 weeks!

Anyway, I won't go on any longer before I bore you all to death! ;) Hopefully will give an update again soon, and look forward to hearing from you all!

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 01 Mar 2014 21:36

I'm not sure about routines, but most of my LDs seem to happen if I get the opportunity for an extra hour or two in bed-i.e.. on a weekend rather than a weekday ;)
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

Return to “For Beginners”