Shouldn't you always remember your LD?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
houseofleaves

Shouldn't you always remember your LD?

Postby houseofleaves » 09 Jan 2012 05:04

It's clearly a general consensus that you must improve your dream recall to have lucid dreams, and that it is possible to have a lucid dream and not remember anything about it.

Something that I've been wondering since I had another LD last week is this: if you have a truly lucid dream in which you have perfect consciousness and awareness, shouldn't you always be able to remember them regardless of how developed your dream recall is because it is a conscious memory?
"The madman is a waking dreamer." -Immanuel Kant

Snaggle

Re: Shouldn't you always remember your LD?

Postby Snaggle » 09 Jan 2012 10:38

Dream recall is practiced to help induce a DILD. Doing WILDs one remembers the dream as well as one remembers any experience; but mundane dreams tend to be forgotten with time even if one is lucid. One tends to have long term memories of the ones that were emotionally intense or curious.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Gooeymaw

Postby Gooeymaw » 13 Jan 2012 01:24

You'd think, but sometimes all I will remember about a lucid dream is that I had one, but might not recall what happened during it.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 14 Jan 2012 01:05

I think you can forget a lucid dream just like you can forget something that happened in waking life, but I think forgetting a lucid dream is less likely than a regular dream. Lucid dream recall is more similar to waking life recall for me.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

fistania

Postby fistania » 16 Jan 2012 01:50

i agree, sometimes i have a lucid dream, even though not vivid and last only a couple of seconds, and my dream recall was not really good, i still recall it. not right after i woke up, but a couple of minutes or hours i would have a flashback that i was lucid and i remember what i was doing in my LD. then i would go "oh my god i was lucid this morning!" something like that…

Return to “For Beginners”