First Lucid Dream experience, cut short due to dream diary!

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
What?!

First Lucid Dream experience, cut short due to dream diary!

Postby What?! » 07 Mar 2014 16:55

So this morning I had my first LD.. albeit a very, very short one.
It started with a few non-lucid dreams that were quite vivid, until eventually I woke up. The first thing I woke up, before opening my eyes, was "I must write these dreams in my diary now!". As I lay there trying to remember I did a reality check (I've gotten into the habit of doing this as I wake up), the 'pinching the nose' test is my main reality check. I suddenly realised I was breathing through my closed nose!
After this so many things went through my head at once.. excitement, amazement at the feeling of breathing through my closed nose and, most of all, the realisation that my first LD experience was also a false awakening. All of this happened very quick, probably in the space of a few seconds. As I finally started thinking about what I should do next (my eyes were still closed at this point), open my eyes and stabilise the dream mainly, I felt a sensation of slowly falling forwards and before I knew it I had woken up in waking life.

I've been practicing Lucid Dreaming for about a month now. Regular reality checks, identifying dream signs, doing reality checks linked to certain regular dream signs, and daily meditation/mindfulness practice. It's a shame, and a bit ironic, that my first LD was a false awakening AND cut short by my intention of writing in my dream diary. But the mere sensation of breathing through a closed nose has given me a big moral boost to keep going! Has this happened to anyone else before?

GalMutzafy

Re: First Lucid Dream experience, cut short due to dream dia

Postby GalMutzafy » 08 Mar 2014 05:11

First of all congratz on your first lucid dream!

And I had many times that I woke up in the morning and wanted to write my dreams, one time my brother just walked in and we talked, one time I tried to record it with my own voice (which I never do, but I've been thinking about it) and other one or two times of just wanting and thinking that I must remmember the dream I had, but didn't realize that I was in an actual dream.

It's really important that you are regular doing reality checks as you wake up because it's a very tricky situation of awake-non awake and it's hard to realize that.

And don't worry, most of people that started lucid dreaming, in thier first dream got so excited that they woke up (me too), you just need to practice and you will get there, because you are already got progressed.
The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary - Ashleigh Brilliant

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 08 Mar 2014 21:38

A lot of my lucid dreams start as false awakenings.
Practicing reality checks in the morning is a good idea for anyone prone to false awakenings.

Sometimes after a lucid dream ends I'll wake up and write it down, but the pen is not working and I find out, it was yet another false awakening.

I don't know why or what causes them, but they are great ways to become lucid and tend to be the most vivid for me.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

GalMutzafy

Postby GalMutzafy » 09 Mar 2014 06:39

HAGART wrote:A lot of my lucid dreams start as false awakenings.
Practicing reality checks in the morning is a good idea for anyone prone to false awakenings.

Sometimes after a lucid dream ends I'll wake up and write it down, but the pen is not working and I find out, it was yet another false awakening.

I don't know why or what causes them, but they are great ways to become lucid and tend to be the most vivid for me.

I think because 1. When you feel the dream is gonna end you expect to wake up at your bed, or 2. You are just regular every day to wake up and starting to write your dreams so the habbit goes there too.
The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary - Ashleigh Brilliant

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 15 Mar 2014 04:28

Congrats. I hope you have another soon.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 15 Mar 2014 04:45

What?! wrote: As I finally started thinking about what I should do next (my eyes were still closed at this point), open my eyes and stabilise the dream mainly, I felt a sensation of slowly falling forwards and before I knew it I had woken up in waking life.

Im curious why you tried to stabilise the dream. You were obviously in the dream well being a false awakening and you werent about to go drifting away from loosing your aware self as it seems from what you said that you were thinking quite clearly once you started gaining awareness. Im wondering if your actual thought of needing to stabilise, due to being worried you may wake up and the concern around doing that, could of been actually what woke you up in the end.

I suggest to next time if you are obviously in a deep/strong dream (all senses strong) and have good clarity, to jump straight into focusing onto whatever your dream challenges are so you think and worry less about waking up and possibly then causing you to do so.

If you are strongly in a dream so dont need to stabilise but have your eyes shut in the dream.. and are concerned opening eyes may wake you up (this happens to people myself included a lot). You can still focus on your dream state without worrying about your eyes.. if you dont worry about that ..dream sight will come in anyway when you are focusing on other things which have your interest.

Trying to open eyes when one is close to waking up (if it was close to your normal waking up time) can also cause your real eyes to twitch, causing someone to ake up. Thing is you dont even need eyes to see in a dream! You could try to create like a third eye out of the middle of your head to see from if you wanted. The "what's in my pocket" LD challenge is one challenge a person can do even if they think they have their eyes shut in a dream.. see if you have a pocket in your clothes and pull out and feel what is there to see what you may find.

Anyway.. I dont really know what woke you up but the things I mentioned are other possiblities you may want to consider if had anything to do with you loosing your LD.

Anyway.. Congrats thou on your first LD thou, better luck next time

What?!

Postby What?! » 18 Mar 2014 13:42

Hi guys,
Thanks for all the replies, it's been very helpful! The more I experiment and discover the more I learn that the LD experience seems to be like walking a tightrope between waking/dreaming somehow.. try too hard and you'll fall back into waking, focus too little and you'll fall the other way back into the unconscious dream-state.

Just some updates..
A few days ago I had my second LD. This time it was longer and included visuals. I found myself in a basement that looked a bit like an old wine-cellar, but it actually contained a big kitchen. I was talking to a few people who I didn't recognise. I reality checked (nose pinch test) and it was positive and my mind jumped into awareness. However my awareness was blurry and the dream scene seemed to be moving, as if it was liquifying. I rubbed my hands together which helped for a little bit, but shortly after the dream started going blurry again. So I screamed at the people in front of me "I am dreaming! You are in my dream!", all I got back from them was the most indifferent look ever haha. This again stabilised the dream for a bit but shortly after that I drifted out of lucidity back into the dream-state. The whole thing must've lasted about 1-2 minutes, but it's an improvement none the less. I am not sure what prompted me to RC, but I reckon it might have just been a habitual thing from doing RCs in waking life so much now.

Looking back here's what I think I can improve:
- Do an additional reality check after the first one is positive, I generally do the nose pinch and try to push my finger through my hand in waking life.
- Stay calm and focus, I found that in both LDs so far I tended to get over-excited and think about making the LD last rather than being in the moment. I think the more familiar I get with the experience and how it feels the easier it will become to stay calm and focussed.
- Rather than focussing on making the dream last when I turn lucid I should really focus on the actual dream-scene I am in and ground myself in my new surroundings.

Some additional information that might be interesting:
- I meditate daily, about 10 - 20 minutes of awareness meditation. Towards the end of my meditation sessions I generally start seeing moving light and colours (which is also part of the hypnagogic state, correct?), it seems that incorporating an awareness of this in my meditation improves the vividness of my dreams in general. I have also been doing a shorter meditation as I fall asleep that focusses mainly on these visuals, the first time I did this was the night of my second LD.
- In the mornings I have been attempting WBTB, however I generally find it very hard to clear my head enough if I attempt this. It seems that as soon as the goal of WBTB is in my head I am so focussed on that that it becomes impossible for me to actually fall asleep again!

Anyway, I'm going to keep at it, the more LDs I have the better I'll get at it. Also, my current dream-goal is to just be able to stay lucid for a longer period of time. I have some other goals planned already but I feel at this point it's a good strategy to first get more control of the state to the point where I can consciously go along with the dream.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Mar 2014 13:18

I am not sure what prompted me to RC, but I reckon it might have just been a habitual thing from doing RCs in waking life so much now

Yeah, you'll probably find you will start having LDs more often too from now seeing you are reality checking in your dreams.

What?! wrote: The whole thing must've lasted about 1-2 minutes, but it's an improvement none the less.

yeah sounds like an improvement not waking up, its easy to choose when to waking up from a LD but harder to continue in a dream.

Looking back here's what I think I can improve:
- Do an additional reality check after the first one is positive, I generally do the nose pinch and try to push my finger through my hand in waking life.

If by "postive", you mean if your reality check shows you are dreaming and that you are planning to do a second reality check at if that occurs.. to that Id say .. bad idea. Reality checks always carry a risk of reality check failure and if you get one showing you are dreaming there is no need to do a second reality check at this point. Just trust you are dreaming at that point (doing a second at that point unneeded also could signify some doubt to your subconciousness which could then encourage the check to go wrong and end up convincing yourself that you arent dreaming afterall).

I - Stay calm and focus, I found that in both LDs so far I tended to get over-excited and think about making the LD last rather than being in the moment.

Excitment is fine as long as long as it doesnt wake you up or start to make you loose dream.. you may find you are okay to go around screaming "Im dreaming, Im dreaming". Find out what works and doesnt work for yourself.

- Rather than focussing on making the dream last when I turn lucid I should really focus on the actual dream-scene I am in and ground myself in my new surroundings.

right! That is how you can help make it last.

my current dream-goal is to just be able to stay lucid for a longer period of time. I have some other goals planned already but I feel at this point it's a good strategy to first get more control of the state to the point where I can consciously go along with the dream.

[/quote]

Note..having other dream goals (something you can actually do) can help your dream to last longer as it gives you something to actually really focus on. It also helps if you ever run into the situation in which you are mind foggy and not thinking well and dont know what to do in a dream (as stopping to think in a dream can cause a wake up.. so its good if you always got something in mind which you can do, thou do also go with the dream and whatever you feel like doing at the time).

all I got back from them was the most indifferent look ever haha.

DCs being indifferent. It can be fun to get a good reaction out of them.. doing an inappropriate strip show can get quite funny reactions from indifferent DCs (my experience of this is that the DCs become horrified lol). The more you can get them interacting with you, the easier it can become to stay in the dream (just one of many things which can help) and the more real life it can be (rather then then being more like indifferent robots as some find them to be)...

best luck with your next LD, Im sure it will probably be soon.

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”