First Lucid Dream Questions/Help

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
JonTheDreamer

First Lucid Dream Questions/Help

Postby JonTheDreamer » 14 Mar 2014 14:50

Hello everyone, my name is Jon, and I am a teenager trying to learn to lucid dream. For the past week, I have read up extensively on lucid dreaming and techniques, and have been keeping a journal and trying techniques every night. I have not had any lucid dreams until my first one last night. I think.

Last night was very strange. I went to sleep as normal, practicing the MILD technique, and fell asleep. I woke up at around 3 as usual, recorded a dream, and fell back asleep using the MILD technique again. Here is where things get strange: I was getting very sleepy after repeating the affirmations, when I began to have sporadic thoughts that were like day dreams, but I was not in control. People I knew where having reasonable conversations, and I was not thinking of what they were saying or what was going on. It was just happening. What happened after this I do not recall well, but the next thing I remember was being very relaxed and about to sleep, and I thought to my self: I should visualize what I want to lucid dream about. So I visualized my room and all of a sudden, I started to fade into it, like it is described in what I read about WILDs. I was staring at the ceiling, which was blurry, and concentrated on it, and it began to come into focus. I tried to move, and it blurred again so I stopped. I stayed still until it became so vivid, that it was more vivid than real life. Then I realized I was in my room, it was daytime, and the ceiling was ridiculously vivid. I said to my self "I'm dreaming" and instantly felt a rush over my body. I was positive I was dreaming. It was my first time. I was strangely excited but overcome with serenity, so much so that reality checks did not cross my mind. I slowly float off my bed until I stand on the ground. I begin walking, which feels slow and like I am underwater. I walk all around my house until I find a family member. Then I try to talk, but I can't, and I feel like I have no mouth! I then noticed I felt like I had no body, like I was just floating around. This was the last moment I remember, and I think I just became non-lucid because I didn't remind myself I was dreaming.

My memory of this is made more vague by the fact that I remembered several non lucid dreams after this. I also recall several false awakenings, at least two. And then I also had sleep paralysis when I actually awoke, which I actually handled well by keeping my eyes closed and recalling my dreams, ignoring the very weird and creepy sounds I heard around me.

Because of my vague recollections and confusion caused by false awakenings, I almost feel like I dreamed I was going to sleep and trying to have a WILD, because I only recall the very beginning and the end, right before I entered the dream state.

The questions I have:
1. Was this a lucid dream?
2. Was it actually wake induced (WILD)?
3. Why could I not talk in my lucid dream, and why did I feel like I didn't have a body?

Overall, I feel happy that I achieved something other than just remembering some non-lucid dreams. I am also happy that I did not panic during sleep paralysis. I just feel so confused as to what happened, between all the dreams and false awakenings, etc. I figured some of you more experienced lucid dreamers might like to help a beginner figure this out.

Snaggle

Re: First Lucid Dream Questions/Help

Postby Snaggle » 15 Mar 2014 08:44

I was getting very sleepy after repeating the affirmations, when I began to have sporadic thoughts that were like day dreams, but I was not in control. People I knew where having reasonable conversations, and I was not thinking of what they were saying or what was going on. It was just happening. I was getting very sleepy after repeating the affirmations, when I began to have sporadic thoughts that were like day dreams, but I was not in control. People I knew where having reasonable conversations, and I was not thinking of what they were saying or what was going on. It was just happening.

If you were actually hearing the voices you were in the hypagogic image stage of a Wild, which could be considered a WILD or not a WILD depending upon how one wants to define WILD.

What happened after this I do not recall well, but the next thing I remember was being very relaxed and about to sleep, and I thought to my self: I should visualize what I want to lucid dream about. So I visualized my room and all of a sudden

This seems to me like you lost consciousness and regained it in a dream without being lucid.

So I visualized my room and all of a sudden, I started to fade into it, like it is described in what I read about WILDs. I was staring at the ceiling, which was blurry, and concentrated on it, and it began to come into focus. I tried to move, and it blurred again so I stopped. I stayed still until it became so vivid, that it was more vivid than real life. Then I realized I was in my room, it was daytime, and the ceiling was ridiculously vivid. I said to my self "I'm dreaming" and instantly felt a rush over my body. I was positive I was dreaming. It was my first time. I was strangely excited but overcome with serenity, so much so that reality checks did not cross my mind.

This might or might not of been a Lucid dream. If this happened in a normal dream one would have been definely lucid dream, but as you were trying to Lucid dream so hard and because the dream followed closely what you expected lucid dreams to be like it might have been just an incubated non-lucid dream. However...

My memory of this is made more vague by the fact that I remembered several non lucid dreams after this. I also recall several false awakenings, at least two. And then I also had sleep paralysis when I actually awoke, which I actually handled well by keeping my eyes closed and recalling my dreams, ignoring the very weird and creepy sounds I heard around me.

This looks like you had continuity of consciousness, making it more likely you were lucid. If you had this and knew you were still dreaming, whether or not you asked "am I dreaming?" or not and whether or the dreams were vivid or not you were still lucid, until the false awakenings and SP. false awakenings trick everyone into thinking they're real and so does SP. These experiences also help to tip it towards you having been really lucid.

3. Why could I not talk in my lucid dream, and why did I feel like I didn't have a body?

You were a disincarnate consciousness and as it seems this was your first time as one. The slow walking and inablity to talk were consequences of you not having a body for the first time and your mind creating the effects on you of not having a body.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

taniaaust1

Re: First Lucid Dream Questions/Help

Postby taniaaust1 » 16 Mar 2014 03:02

I thinking along the same lines as Snuggles is for your experience

"if you were actually hearing the voices you were in the hypagogic image stage of a Wild, "

Yes.. you were experiencing hypagogia in the beggining of your experience when you were heaing the voices.

I remember was being very relaxed and about to sleep, and I thought to my self: I should visualize what I want to lucid dream about. So I visualized my room and all of a sudden, I started to fade into it, like it is described in what I read about WILDs.

Yes.. you used a WILD technique and had a WILD entry into a dream (before this occurred, you'd gone into the right kind of state to do this.. mind relaxed and started to drift.. conductive for dreaming state). Due to that I'd classify your LD as a WILD.

I do think that your astral body (as in having an OBE) was influencing some what you were experiencing in your LD (so I think you were experiencing things from both at the same time.. You were having a WILD but getting some astral projection/OBE sensations coming in). eg things often related to OBES are spontonous floating (not caused by thinking about it) and that feel of walking throu mud or as you described it like walking underwater (you arent used to moving in your astral body).. is another common sensation those who are doing a OBE but not used to doing these get. So I think you were feeling your astral body there as in experiencing some OBE state but at the same time you had entered into a LD. (blurry vision is common in both LD and in AP/OBE).

I was staring at the ceiling, which was blurry, and concentrated on it, and it began to come into focus. I tried to move, and it blurred again so I stopped. I stayed still until it became so vivid, that it was more vivid than real life.

I want to congratulate you as I think you handled your experience extremely well.. took to WILD like a duck to water one could say. Not only did you manage to use a WILD technique to trigger off a WILD but you went on from a very light grasp on the WILD (eg experiencing drop out) to pulling yourself into the dream by what you did next to bring it in more and stabilise it. That is exactly what I would of done under that circumstance.. I need to stay very still if Im not fully into the WILD yet as moving myself will bring me out of it. Instead as you did, if one is only just getting into the LD, one needs to focus hard on your surroundings till they intensifiy and stabilise.

Another way to do this if there is a DC or even a voice you can hear.. is to mentally reach out and ask them to touch you or something like that (brush your hair, hold your hand etc). If they do.. that can very quickly bring one strongly into the LD. (If one is in it a bit more.. then it becomes safer to move yourself without drop out risk)

Imagining in first person floating up to that ceiling.. could of helped pull your astral body out of body even faster. You may want to play around with this in future to work out the quickest way into various experiences once you are basically in the right state (the same body relaxed state is needed for both OBEs or to have LDs)

Anyway.. a quick run down on WILD
1/ Get into the right state
2/ Use a technique to actively get yourself into the dream (you may have to use more techniques to pull oneself into it once it starts happening as you did by staring at a blurry image till it became clear).

How people do a WILD really varies, its probably the most varible way to LD but those two principles to have a WILD always stand.

Hint.. if you want to enter into the WILD fully quicker and you have a blurred image there, you can "imagine" as if imagining in 1st person, floating towards the image to get a clearer look (or as you did.. you can just continue to stare at it. The important thing is to focus on it, on the start of the WILD.

Another way to get an image clear but if its the case of a tiny imagine (not refering to a ceiling here)..or even a very small tiny part of a picture or a blotch of colour.. is too imagine the image stretching so it enlarges. Small images when they reach a certain size, I usually then find myself in a dream with that image as something in the dream eg you may of first just seen an inch of colour but when stretched the image may become something like wall paper on the walls of a round around one.

Anyway.. have fun, WILD is fun, OBEs are fun.. (it doesnt matter what you are doing as long as you are having fun).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”