Time in Lucid Dreams

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.

Time in Lucid Dreams

Postby Maymay » 18 Mar 2014 23:18

I have yet to have a lucid dream, and I was wondering if anybody could tell me how the time relates to time in the real world. Is one dream minute equal to one real minute? or is it more like one dream hour is one real second? Thanks!

Re: Time in Lucid Dreams

Postby torakrubik » 19 Mar 2014 02:02

Generally it's reasonable to assume that dream time runs at the same rate as normal time. There have been experiments done to support this (can't remember the source of the top of my head). However, myself and others on this site have posted before about particular dreams that seemed to defy temporal rules entirely, dreams that seem to cram huge amounts of content into a very small time-frame. It's difficult to tell in the dream state what is actually going on - remember that a lot of your brain functions are severely impaired.
This brings me to my next point which is that the brain is very good at tricking you into thinking more time has passed than actually has in a dream: by a combination of false memories, skewed timelines and good ol' dream logic. Upon wakening it can be easy to see that though it felt like you were living in that dream for days, weeks, even years, in fact it was just a cleverly crafted mental illusion.
Dreaming is my drug

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 19 Mar 2014 02:38

That depends on how you define dream time.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Postby GalMutzafy » 19 Mar 2014 06:44

Altough I haven't have a lucid dream yet, I agree with torakrubik that it may seem to you like the dream last alot longer than in real life, but basically one minute in a dream - one minute in life.
The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary - Ashleigh Brilliant

Postby Highlander » 19 Mar 2014 12:26

Stephen LaBerge talks about this on his first book, based on experiences and tests he has done in his lab.
He says that real life time is the same as dream time. We tend to have the perception that we are dreaming for hours and when we wake up it passed only a few minutes. And this is normal. In a movie, if you are watching a scene that a guy leaves his house and then the next scene is this guy in his office, it's representing an illusion that it took 1 hour when it was just a few seconds.

I agree with this. Yesterday i had a dream that i was in my house, then i went to work, then i was in my house with my family at night. This just took only a few minutes. It was just edited scenes, but my brain thought that it took a whole day.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”