Can We Access Forgotten Memories in a Lucid Dream?

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
HAGART

Can We Access Forgotten Memories in a Lucid Dream?

Postby HAGART » 18 Mar 2014 06:20

Background:
I've heard of people, who witnessed a crime, remember the license plate of a vehicle under hypnosis, but couldn't remember it when wide awake. It's easy to forget; It happened so fast. I'm wondering if, subconsciously, we record everything and have a photographic memory. Some people in this world certainly do have a proven photographic memory, but I'm wondering if we all do, but simply don't access it as easily. I'm going to try to access a forgotten memory in a lucid dream, and then verify it.

My experiment:
I was watching a movie about two weeks ago, and I read a license plate on a car in the beginning. (I won't say the movie because I don't want others to try it and blurt out the answer before I get a chance to try it. And no, it's not Beverly Hills Cop, if anyone remembers that other post where I got the idea....) So, anyway, I watched a movie, read the license plate on a car in the beginning, but right now, I have no idea what it was.

My Hypothesis: I should be able to access that forgotten memory in a lucid dream somehow since memories are stored forever.

Then, since I have the movie recorded, I can verify it, and see if I am correct or not.

Other thoughts:
I welcome others to try this too, and do it your own way however it suits you. (Maybe it's a street sign or a T-shirt from a movie, or something from a past, personal photo you have...). Try and see if you can unlock a past memory through a lucid dream, but make sure it's verifiable. If I'm correct, you can only take my word for it, and it only proves it to myself, so I encourage others to test it too for themselves.

(It would be cool if this works! 8-) )
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Kman43759

Re: Can We Access Forgotten Memories in a Lucid Dream?

Postby Kman43759 » 18 Mar 2014 20:11

Sounds cool, but how would u access that forgotten memorie in your lucid dream?... Thats the only thing that may be tricky... Would u just look around at cars in your dream? Or would you go and ask a DC what the liscense plate was?

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Kman43759's Lucid Dreaming Journey
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14621&p=39383#p39383
Dreamers Escape - Kman43759's Lucid Dreaming Forum ( IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE PEOPLE AWAY FROM THIS FORUM!!! I LOVE THIS FORUM)
http://www.dreamersescape.boards.net/

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 18 Mar 2014 21:34

Kman43759 wrote:how would u access that forgotten memorie in your lucid dream?

I don't know right now and will try several things.

The last time I tried this, I asked a dream character, but they only spoke gibberish. They said, "The steering wheel is pink." :roll:

So I may try asking another DC again, or better yet, I was thinking of watching the scene play out on a TV in a lucid dream, or any other type of 'screen'. I'm going to try several things and I'll share my experiences even if they fail. Right now, I don't have a definitive plan because I have never done this before. Any suggestions are welcome.

I've also considered the possibility that I may retrieve the answer from a NON-lucid dream too, since I plan to think about this experiment before bed each night and 'plant the seed' in my mind.

There's no rush and this may happen tonight, or perhaps a month from now, so I'll be patient. But as of now, this is my main lucid dream goal to remember doing in a dream. (However it happens.....)

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 19 Mar 2014 02:07

Sounds interesting! I'd recommend having some initial plan of action on becoming lucid (in order to maintain lucidity similar to the mechanism of having dream intent if nothing else). Keep us posted :)
Dreaming is my drug

Kirito

Postby Kirito » 25 Mar 2014 03:15

I would just pop the movie in in your dream! Please update us on your results! Make sure to wake yourself up as soon as you attain license plate! Dont forget movie snacks either. LD food is the best.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 25 Mar 2014 03:44

Damn, Murphy's Law. Maybe I jinxed myself by posting this. ;) I was getting a bunch of lucid dreams just prior to posting, but haven't now for a whole week since I stated my goal.

Ahwell, I'll be patient. It happens to all of us. It was just bad timing. It'll come back with a vengeance soon, and I'll get a ton of lucid dreams again in which to attempt this. As long as something is on my mind I get around to it sooner or later in a lucid dream.

Hate to leave you guys hanging, but patience is a virtue. 8-)

And feel free to attempt your own version of this. Memorize a list of random words or whatever.... that's how photographic memory is tested, but agree it would be boring to do that. This movie is something already on my mind, so it will come naturally and easily. WHEN it happens... crossing fingers.

(There's always the non-lucid dream option and will watch out for that as well. If I feel I get the answer lucid or not, I will test it out and verify it.)

Kman43759

Postby Kman43759 » 25 Mar 2014 17:16

Im going to try this in my next LD... Ive typed in random letters and numbers on my notes app on my ipod so in my next LD im going to find my iPod and look at it in my notes :D

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Kman43759's Lucid Dreaming Journey
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14621&p=39383#p39383
Dreamers Escape - Kman43759's Lucid Dreaming Forum ( IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE PEOPLE AWAY FROM THIS FORUM!!! I LOVE THIS FORUM)
http://www.dreamersescape.boards.net/

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 30 Mar 2014 22:10

I finally had a lucid dream in which to try this, but unless the license plate was "LMNOLMNOLMNO" I doubt I'm correct, so will attempt again. :?

I had the idea in my head to remember the license plate as I was walking around my house in a dream, and read that on a piece of paper in the kitchen. Even in the dream I realized it was just a portion of the alphabet repeating, but didn't know why, so continued looking for other signs. I went outside and saw two license plates resting up against a picnic table, but they didn't have words or letters, just shapes and designs. I kept going in and out of lucidness and getting mesmerized by the dream again after that and forgot what I was doing.

I still believe this is possible, to recall a memory we consciously forgot that is still in our brains somewhere. The key, I am thinking now, is to somehow control or subdue my restless subconscious from creating nonsense. I should remember to take steps to increase my lucidity and stabilize the dream next time. Or even something I haven't done before: Meditating in a lucid dream. Dismissing all the 'noisy nonsense' may bring more clarity, not just for this LD task, but any other in the future.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 01 Apr 2014 02:04

The Experiment is Over For Me

I checked the movie and got it wrong again.

I was pretty sure the license plate I saw in the movie, Mulholland Drive (opening credits), was three letters followed by three numbers. I already had a slight memory of it, so thought perhaps in a dream, if I try to recall it, it would hit me.

I had another lucid dream last night, and in trying to find the answer in the dream, I saw a giant snowflake, and thought maybe that's significant. Maybe the first three letters are SNO. I saw other possibilities, like SNA. Then I saw numbers, and can't fully remember but they were something like 148. It was hard to remember, happened as my first dream of the night, and didn't write it down, but only recalled it in the morning.

SO, I decided, why not just check the movie, and see if it's at least close.....

REAL ANSWER: [2GAT123]
(I was way off!)

EDIT: I was watching L.A. Story yesterday, and Steve Martin's car had the exact same license plate! Only I would notice such a thing because of this experiment. After a little research it turns out it's a common license plate used in movies because it doesn't exist. Similar to all the '555' phone numbers. Anyway, just though that was an interesting twist and some useless trivia if anyone was interested.
Last edited by HAGART on 12 Oct 2014 04:38, edited 1 time in total.

Kirito

Postby Kirito » 01 Apr 2014 04:02

You should try again! A different movie!

Return to “Dream Science”