Violence in lucid dreaming

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
TillyPink

Violence in lucid dreaming

Postby TillyPink » 16 Mar 2014 22:25

Many people use physical and sexual violence against DC's in lucid dreaming, just for fun, experimentation, perhaps for an outlet of aggression, mimicking a video game, or just because they can. No one judges people for doing this as we know it's all fantasy. But does anyone have any thoughts on repercussions? Can this kind of duality with DC's have a knock on effect to our lucid dream or deep dream experiences? Is it possible we could create prospective hostile DC's or nightmareish scenarios in future dreams? Or could it have a negative effect on the psyche as a whole? After all, when we 'hurt' our DC's, they are projections of our own selves, so one could argue that we are creating inner battles through our imagination of such violence? And if so, does this have an impact on our own sense of wellbeing in waking life?

I'm not being all virtuous. I've had the odd punch up ;) I'm just curious on peoples thoughts.

torakrubik

Re: Violence in lucid dreaming

Postby torakrubik » 17 Mar 2014 03:04

Good topic! There will always be a mix of opinions on this, I'll get mine in now. I don't really believe that DCs represent parts of our psyche/personality (or not at all closely), and I see nothing wrong with experimenting with DC violence. It can be a good outlet for aggression as you say, and for me personally it doesn't impact me morally and I don't feel guilty about it upon wakening.
Having said that, I had an odd moment in a lucid dream a while back. I had been killing DCs throughout the dream and just as I walked through a doorway a lady grabbed my arm and screamed furiously at me to stop. I was completely taken aback and woke up in sheer surprise. Make of that what you will!
Dreaming is my drug

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 17 Mar 2014 04:19

Nah, Inception says its ok.

In all seriousness I really doubt dream characters represent part of the psyche, I have never noticed any differences after playing around with the characters.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 17 Mar 2014 09:45

This is a good topic, which can only have variable answers.

Firstly, people who think DC are real or parts of themselves are going to feel it's wrong to use violence against them (assuming the person is not a psychopath).

Secondly, ones subconscious has the same values you do,as it has your personality, so if you feel that violence is wrong your subconscious will express it's disapproval of ones conduct.

Lastly, if you're trying to change your personality to one of non-violence expressing violence to DC is counter productive, as one needs to saturate oneself with what ever one is trying to become to actually change ones personality.

My own view now. Dream Characters are almost all just characters, however real they can seem, any nothing one does to them matters. Violence in real life can be a means for both parties to it, as it allows them to get rid of all the anger they feel towards each other and start over, sometimes forgiving each other and sometimes becoming friends too. Dream violence rarely can achieve this affect towards a real person, but might towards a DC. Violence is also fun, both because of the danger and suspense. Violence is also a normal part of nightmares as the worse choice when having a renounter with Evil DC is not to fight them and just let them have their way with one.

Violence towards women if one means rape is pretty evil even in a dream and one might want to reconsider ones character if one has the typical caveman rapist mentality.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 17 Mar 2014 10:27

Im of the same kind of views as snaggles on this.

Say if someones going around raping women in LDs maybe someone could develop more of a taste for that and grow more and more violent in their thinking... and who knows where that could lead.

I think people too who watch a lot of horror movies tend to end up seeing these things as like normal and may not be so horrified of a violent act in real life. I dont see dreams and creating violent ones much different then that.

That being said thou.. to beat up a DC of someone you know in real life and who has really made you angry..could help to release some of a persons anger. I beat the crap out of my mother one time in a dream (it wasnt a lucid one but I horrifically beat her up).. I can say it did make me feel a lot better, I was carrying before that a ton of suppressed anger towards her and her previous actions.

Anyway.. I dont see an issue with it unless a person is often doing this and like getting off of violence.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 17 Mar 2014 22:21

torakrubik wrote:Good topic! There will always be a mix of opinions on this, I'll get mine in now. I don't really believe that DCs represent parts of our psyche/personality (or not at all closely), and I see nothing wrong with experimenting with DC violence. It can be a good outlet for aggression as you say, and for me personally it doesn't impact me morally and I don't feel guilty about it upon wakening.
Having said that, I had an odd moment in a lucid dream a while back. I had been killing DCs throughout the dream and just as I walked through a doorway a lady grabbed my arm and screamed furiously at me to stop. I was completely taken aback and woke up in sheer surprise. Make of that what you will!

Yeh I don't really think anyone should ever feel guilty or be judged. Of course not, they are your dreams and you can explore them as you like. I'm interested to know what you think dream characters are? If not a representation of different aspects of your psyche, I'm guessing you agree they are your own inner projections (unless you think them to be real which I doubt haha)....'make of that what you will!' Well i guess i would say a part of your own consciousness grabbed your arm and told you to stop...an inner moral voice if you will. Which illuminates an aspect of my question...are we creating duality and conflict within and will this in turn create other DC's to react?

I'd ask the same question to Jack Reacher. I don't really go for the psychoanalytic assessment of all my DC's being some kind of meaningful representation of different parts of my personality either.... But we create them, imagine them. So are they not still part of us?

taniaaust. snap. I also had a deep dream of savagely attacking my mother. It brought a lot to light! Although for me i didn't feel better for it, although i totally understood why lol! It just was a heads up that I still had issues of frustration and anger with her. Not being able to sort these in waking life, i then met her in a lucid dream and it was healing and beautiful! :) But I often use lucid dreaming for this purpose.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 17 Mar 2014 22:59

I've killed many dream characters before. Many!
But here's the difference: I rarely lay a finger on them!

THAT'S A BIG DIFFERENCE.

I usually use my mind to toss them into walls which makes them disintegrate, or sometimes toss them over cliffs, or even raise them in the air and watch them fall. A few times, and this may be one of my 'special powers' I find it easy to turn them into stone and then toss them and they smash in to pieces. I actually find it fun. I never punched or stabbed or relished in the murder like I was Jack The Ripper. It was more like 'Sprites' in a video game. That's the difference.

(I did say, RARELY lay a finger on them....) Now that it was brought up, about 2 years ago, in a lucid dream, I did slap my mother in the face. I felt bad about it later, but in the dream she showed up and I got angry and didn't want her there. I'm sure it's common. Mothers can be so judgmental when your trying to enjoy the freedom of a lucid dream.

When I think about dream characters now, I think more about how I, MYSELF, react to them instead of how they behave. It says a lot more. We, when awake, and socializing, tend to react and behave differently, changing ourselves to adapt to other people, and personalities, and the same goes for a dream. Ask yourself how you FELT around a certain DC and you'll start to see a correlation between your feelings and their behavior.

When around people, there is a 'mood in the air' if you know what I mean. But perhaps in a dream, just like how we can sense something BEFORE we see it (like you know it first and then see the visuals or sound after), perhaps we feel a 'mood in the air' nanoseconds before a DC shows up, and it, of course, suits the mood. I think all DCs are like that, but the most intense, the ones I had during sleep paralysis, always showed themselves AFTER I was already afraid. That's why I believe I am right about this. (That was during intense emotion so it was more obvious to me, but I bet I get a ton of subtle, even subliminal emotions that create my dream characters during more calm lucid dreams). (Just my theory....)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 18 Mar 2014 02:50

TillyPink wrote:
torakrubik wrote:Good topic! There will always be a mix of opinions on this, I'll get mine in now. I don't really believe that DCs represent parts of our psyche/personality (or not at all closely), and I see nothing wrong with experimenting with DC violence. It can be a good outlet for aggression as you say, and for me personally it doesn't impact me morally and I don't feel guilty about it upon wakening.

Yeh I don't really think anyone should ever feel guilty or be judged. Of course not, they are your dreams and you can explore them as you like. I'm interested to know what you think dream characters are? If not a representation of different aspects of your psyche, I'm guessing you agree they are your own inner projections (unless you think them to be real which I doubt haha)....'make of that what you will!' Well i guess i would say a part of your own consciousness grabbed your arm and told you to stop...an inner moral voice if you will. Which illuminates an aspect of my question...are we creating duality and conflict within and will this in turn create other DC's to react?

I'm not at all sure what DCs are. If I was forced to put forward some hypothesis, I would say that they are simply an extension of objects in the dream space, albeit seemingly sentient ones! So yes, 'projections' if you will. I am open to the idea of mutual dreaming so I wouldn't be against a few DCs being actual dreamers (or representations of the dreamers in the dream space? Assuming mutual is possible, what are we interacting with when we meet these dreamers? But that's another topic...). However any conclusive arguments made with that assumption are sketchy at best due to the lack of scientific evidence.

Sticking to my earlier theory concerning DCs not representing aspects of the psyche, I would be inclined to say that violence against DCs does not cause any kind of internal conflict (Though as snaggle mentioned previously, if one spends all their time raping women in dreams and the like, then there may be deeper psychological issues present which are independent of the dream content). There does appear to be connections between DCs - they certainly are not independent of each other and I can only speculate as to why this is. A reasonable guess would be that since it is fairly safe to assume DCs are generated by the subconscious or the conciousness (summoning them in a lucid), they are created from the same source, so to speak, and hence are linked in this way. I can't put a scientific explanation on this obviously but that's roughly what I believe is going on.
Dreaming is my drug

loulouroos

Postby loulouroos » 19 Mar 2014 03:09

Last edited by loulouroos on 27 Mar 2016 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
... And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.
-R. Dahl

chaosdragoon13

Postby chaosdragoon13 » 19 Mar 2014 04:17

I've killed someone once in a lucid dream but it was for a good cause(his fault for releasing mutant dinosaurs in my grandma's house) and I think I was acting out a movie.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”