Do we see in our dreams only what we saw in real life?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
xchcui

Do we see in our dreams only what we saw in real life?

Postby xchcui » 19 Mar 2014 14:20

Hi.

I understand that what ever we are dream about is actually things that we saw before in the real life.
and it is a mixing of different events from different time from the past and the present.
But the interesting question is:
Do we see in our dreams movments of objects(characters...)that we had never seen before in the real life?Do we see the objects from different sides that we didn't see in life before?
For example:if i saw in life for the first time a photo of a person(only his face)when he looks sad,
Can i see this person in the dream while he smile?
Can i see the rest of his body?
Can i see him from other sides and while he is in motion(walking,running end etc.)?
Will he talk?

Thanks in advance.

GalMutzafy

Re: Do we see in our dreams only what we saw in real life?

Postby GalMutzafy » 19 Mar 2014 15:34

I think that in dreams if we see a person (that we have seen before in life), it doesn't mean that in the dream it will be 100 percent accurate, maybe his eyes are from another person, so as his ears, hair, lips and etc.

So the thing is that dreams can mix everything, from something logic to wiredest, maybe you see a body of a human in life, and a picture of a dog, and then suddenly you dream of a creature with human body and a dog head and things like that.
The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary - Ashleigh Brilliant

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Mar 2014 17:38

Good question. I have seen people in dreams, the entire body, and they move, even though I have only seen a 2D, still picture of them in real life. Our minds can fill in the details, extrapolate, and create a convincing portrayal of that person. It's still an illusion of that person, not 100% accurate, but illusions can be very convincing.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

xchcui

Postby xchcui » 19 Mar 2014 18:20

Thanks for your answer.
The big question is if our mind create something,absolutely new, that we didn't saw before or in practical all what we see in our dreams is(as you said)a mixing of sights,landscape,actions,movments that our brain absorbed in real life.Like,if i saw only a face of a person in real life and in the dream i saw him walking and speaking,in practical our mind uses person's face,but used,body,motion and voice of another person that it has in the memory to complete the picture?
It seems logically that the mind is not making something new,but i am not sure a bout it,and that is the reason that i am directing this question to you.
And if it does,It will open even more interesting question?

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 20 Mar 2014 01:30

Short Answer to your question: I don't know.

Long Answer which poses a new question:
I've posed this philosophical, hypothetical question before:

What if you grew up, alone, in a cave and that was all you knew?
What would you dream about?
Perhaps stalactites would speak to you in dreams and become your 'Dream Characters'!

(I don't know if I dreamed of anything completely new because I've seen so much. But what if you lived in a single room, a 'cave away from society'....?) It's hypothetical and I have no answer, but I like hypotheticals.

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 20 Mar 2014 02:15

HAGART wrote:Short Answer to your question: I don't know.

Long Answer which poses a new question:
I've posed this philosophical, hypothetical question before:

What if you grew up, alone, in a cave and that was all you knew?
What would you dream about?
Perhaps stalactites would speak to you in dreams and become your 'Dream Characters'!

(I don't know if I dreamed of anything completely new because I've seen so much. But what if you lived in a single room, a 'cave away from society'....?) It's hypothetical and I have no answer, but I like hypotheticals.

Do you think people like Helen Keller dreamt? If so, would they have visual or auditory dreams? How could they without the experience... So odd. Maybe they dream as smells and tastes and vibrations

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Good luck,
Dream on.
LDs~32

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 20 Mar 2014 02:35

I remember someone once asking what blind people dream of. It's a fascinating question. I found a link to You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpUW9pm9wxs
It's short, maybe even too short, but you can find some You Tube video suggestions from that and go from there if you wish.

Helen Keller was both deaf and blind, so it's different. What if you had no senses what soever! :o (That's for another topic, and I don't want to hijack this thread unless Xchcui wants to go there too)...

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Mar 2014 11:14

You can dream something you've never seen before as us humans have something called "imagination" and we are also quite creative.

There is no reason why Hellen Keller wouldnt have had dreams.. she would of known from tactile feeling things, form. From form one would get image (the mind naturally gets images). (Hold a feel a rock and even if you havent seen it, you are going to know its form/shape).

What she wouldnt have been able to see thou is dream in colour. Ive read before that those who are blind all their life, do not dream in colour... whereas someone who hasnt always been blind eg if someone had sight in their early life, then they can dream in colour (as the mind/subconciousness remembers).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

xchcui

Postby xchcui » 20 Mar 2014 16:25

I understand that when we are sleeping the brain does some kind of process and arrangement(though,even the scientists doesn't know,yet,exactly what it really does)with all the sights,smells,sounds and etc.that it absorbed during the day with what it already has in it.
Blind people won't dream sights and deaf people won't dream sounds.
So the mind has alot of information in it's memory and it can(as you said)mix things and make something new that i have not seen before,but this new thing is,in practical,composed and mixed from the huge information that our brain absorbed during our life and it is not realy new.Isn't it?
I try to clarify my question in order to explain to you what i am trying to understand,by taking my first example.
Lets say that i saw 2D face of aperson in the newspaper,and i saw the same person's face in my dream.
Will i see it's eyes blinking?or moving?
So this is my main question:
Does the mind will take eye blinking or eye moving from someone else that it has in it's memory,because the mind can not show us in the dream movement of this particular person's eye as we didn't see it in real life?
Maybe someone who experienced high resolution lucid dream saw this situation more clearly.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 20 Mar 2014 19:19

xchcui wrote:Lets say that i saw 2D face of aperson in the newspaper,and i saw the same person's face in my dream.
Will i see it's eyes blinking?or moving?

I'd say, yes.
Although you haven't seen those eyes in particular blink before, you have seen other eyes blink, so a dream can easily put the two together quite naturally.

I have an example:
I have never levitated in real life, but I have in a lucid dream. How is that possible? A few times in my life, I have ridden an elevator with glass windows, and know what it looks like to rise up, so perhaps it came from there. But I didn't actually rise up in that particular dream environment before. I once was fascinated, in a lucid dream, by how I could watch houses around me change their lines of perspective perfectly as I rose up. (An art term where all lines lead to a horizon). And then I could see the roofs. I don't know how I did that so naturally, and it would take a super computer to do all those calculations that my mind did with ease. I still don't know how I was able to do it, and it could have been elevators, or perhaps even a movie I watched in the past where a camera rose up on a boom.

You can fly in a lucid dream, feel the sun on your back and the wind in your hair. Although I have never done that in real life, I know what it's like to look out an airplane window, I know what it feels like to feel the warmth of the sun on my back, and I know what it's like to feel wind in my hair, so in a dream we can take each of those individual life experiences and put them all together in a convincing reality. (I haven't done this exactly, but it's certainly possible).

taniaaust1 wrote:You can dream something you've never seen before as us humans have something called "imagination" and we are also quite creative.

Yes, but is all imagination based upon memories?

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”