Meditation in a lucid dream

How to control and prolong lucid dreams, increase the intensity, work with dream characters, and communicate with the subconscious.
Highlander

Meditation in a lucid dream

Postby Highlander » 28 Nov 2013 21:25

Lately i've been trying to meditate in a lucid dream. we are already on a deep relaxed state, meditation in the dream has a more powerful effect. For me, it has been very helpful to stabilise the dream and not get excited or stressed on some situations.

On a couple of weeks ago i was lucid dreaming and, all of a sudden, the environment became to fade, and all was grey. Suddenly, i crossed my legs while hovering in the air, hands on the knees and became to breath slowly. An image of a tree became to flash. I'm hovering in circles. Then, in front of me appeared a drawing of a figure meditating inside a circle with symbols. Then, disappeared and the image of the tree became vivid. The dream was stabilized.

On another dream, i assumed the same position and asked the dream to take me wherever it wants. And it took me around the scenario i was in.

Yesterday i had kinda a WILD where i entered in the dream and it was dark. I knew i was in front of my window but i was seeing pitch black and then all grey. I asked for light and clarity but nothing happened. I was afraid that i would wake up. So i thought that maybe my dream was not fully created and decided to give it time. So, what did i do? I put myself into a meditation position (lotus position), looked at my window and waited. As the seconds went by, i saw buildings start to form, little lights lit on the apartments and then the scenary was created. Then, the dream took me outside my house and to space.

I have to recomend this.
Meditating in the dream is good for us to calm down if we are afraid of waking up or don't know what will happen next. We then stand still and wait. Interesting things will happen.
The funny thing is that, when i medidate, i don't sit on the floor. I'm always standing up and i cross my legs in the air, always hovering. This releases me from any contact to the floor and makes my dream taking me wherever it wants.

deschainXIX

Re: Meditation in a lucid dream

Postby deschainXIX » 30 Nov 2013 16:01

Interesting ... I'll try this. Except that whenever I shut my eyes in a lucid dream, bad things happen. I usually wake up or am transported into inter-dreaming darkness (where you're just drifting about in a complete lack of dreamscape).
Well said.

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 30 Nov 2013 17:13

No need to close your eyes. You reminded me that i forgot to mention this. I never close my eyes. If i close them, the dream fades away. I keep my "dream eyes" open. That's why i see marvelous things.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 01 Dec 2013 00:30

Oh okay, I understand now. But I'm not sure how to meditate with my eyes open ... maybe it's different in the dream. The whole concept of "closing your dream eyes" is interesting though...
Well said.

TaTa

Postby TaTa » 17 Mar 2014 16:07

Meditation has little to do with your eyelids. In fact in most buddhist traditions, exept for theravada you are asked to keep your eyes at least a little bit open.

I do meditate in my dreams. Sometimes shamata meditation on the breath, or some mantra recitation and visualization but i haven had the same experience of stabilization, it last a couple of seconds and I wake up.

I have found that i have troubel staying in the sitting position in my dreams, probably due to low gravity so now this has become a dream sing to me XD

GalMutzafy

Postby GalMutzafy » 18 Mar 2014 15:31

It seems logical because basically in a lucid dream, if the dream starts to fade away you have to relax and remain calm, feel the dream-air, so basically meditation is another way to keep the dream vivid / alive.

I like the idea, I've never thought about it, if I'd have the chance I will try it in the future.
The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary - Ashleigh Brilliant

What?!

Postby What?! » 20 Mar 2014 01:08

If you're interested in this check out something called "Dream Yoga". It's practiced by a specific branch (or branches) of Buddhism and is basically a Buddhist way of approaching lucid dreaming. I believe they also incorporate meditation within the dream into their practices!
As far as I know in dream yoga there is a set of challenges the dreamer must overcome, with as the end goal to completely dissolve the dream into nothingness. However I have no personal experience with it (yet) so I highly recommend some research :)

TaTa

Postby TaTa » 01 Apr 2014 23:25

Yes. Dream yoga is a part of most tibetan buddhism linages. There are a few practices that are open to the general public but for most of them you need to receive teachings from a qualified master and generally are done under strict retreat.

There are some great audio files from alan wallace comparing modern lucid dreaming with dream yoga

https://archive.org/details/LucidDreamingAndDreamYogaRetreatDay1

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 05 Apr 2014 08:01

umm I'll have to try meditating with eyes open in a dream to see if it helps me stabilise. Thanks for the idea
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

GalMutzafy

Postby GalMutzafy » 05 Apr 2014 10:52

Today I had a wired dream that seems to be like a dream where I was in bed and imagine myself doing stuff, I dreamed that I killed two guys in my house, but after I did that I was like thinking ''how I would get out of truble... OH! it's not real!'', and then like all what Ive seen was just my imagination and fade away... it was wired!
The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary - Ashleigh Brilliant

Return to “Dream Control Specifics”