Do we see in our dreams only what we saw in real life?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Summerlander

Re: Do we see in our dreams only what we saw in real life?

Postby Summerlander » 20 Mar 2014 20:46

I'd say the substratum for imagination is our elementary conception of reality. We are exposed to the world from birth (never mind gestation for the sake of simplicity) and that will influence our ganglionic functionality. Hagart's analogy befits a proper explanation of what is going on and I can add another example:

You see an eagle and a pig in the real world, and, if you're feeling playful, an amalgamation of the two is possible using your thinking and/or dreaming mind - a process which isn't necessarily intentional or brought about in the light of full consciousness. And this sort of playful imagination isn't circumscribed to dual hybridism (such as a flying pig with wings); a multifaceted omnium-gatherum is also possible by adding the features of other animals, objects, or people.

The impossibilities of imagination do come from the possibilities perceived in the real world, so, in a way, a kind of memory is involved. Our memory also enables us to retain acquired information about the world and this permits us to conceive both probable and improbable scenarios, so, one can gather that we'd quickly lose predictive power if our mnemonic faculties were suddenly removed. Furthermore, memory is undeniably interrelated with consciousness: you cannot have one without the other. :shock:

So the answer to the question is: The stuff of dreams has its root cause in the memory of perception and cognition but we don't necessarily see in dreams exactly what we saw in real life. Why is this? Because creativity comes into play, therefore, everything has its evolution. Who said that? Moi, the "Darwin" of dreams... :mrgreen:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 21 Mar 2014 02:07

xchcui wrote:Lets say that i saw 2D face of aperson in the newspaper,and i saw the same person's face in my dream. Will i see it's eyes blinking?or moving?

Yes, you will. I have had dreams and lucid dreams alike where I have summoned people and items that I thought up in my head, or only had seen pictures of, or even only read in words. I think basically what is happening is this- Think of a rock. Close your eyes and visualize that very rock, and don't add anything to it. Describe it. Have you seen that rock before? I visualized a red, smooth but porous wet rock is a stream bed. Very round. I can assure you, I've never seen that rock. Maybe even draw a picture of it. Has your brain ever seen that exact picture? No. You created it, the same way you could in a dream. You have seen rocks before, you know what traits a rock is able to have, and you see it. The same way you would if you saw only a picture of someone, and in a dream you summoned them and they ended up having a full body, voice, and tone. Your brain has a rough idea of what they may look like, and what humans in general look like, how they act, etc.
Good luck,
Dream on.
LDs~32

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 21 Mar 2014 05:30

I understand that what ever we are dream about is actually things that we saw before in the real life.
and it is a mixing of different events from different time from the past and the present.

This statement is wrong. Dreams can both show one things that have never existed or things one has never seen, even though they existed. Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison both used lucid dreaming to invent and this is not uncommon in engineering. True what one mainly sees in Lucid Dreams are things one has seen or recombinations of them, but not everthing.

...Do we see in our dreams mov[e]ments of objects(characters...)that we had never seen before in the real life? Do we see the objects from different sides that we didn't see in life before?
For example:if i saw in life for the first time a photo of a person(only his face)when he looks sad,
Can i see this person in the dream while he smile[s]?
Can i see the rest of his body?
Can i see him from other sides and while he is in motion(walking,running end etc.)?

All of these can be done. Moving from a 2d image to a 3d image is extremely commonplace, as are the others.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 21 Mar 2014 07:52

HAGART wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote:You can dream something you've never seen before as us humans have something called "imagination" and we are also quite creative.

Yes, but is all imagination based upon memories?

Good question.. Ive dreamt 3 different inventions so far.. things I'd never seen or heard of before. The best one which I wanted to do and sell.. when I did a search online, turned out this thing was already invented (but I certainly didnt know that at the time and nor would I have previously seen this thing), and one of the others I'd dreamed about which I also thought I'd invented..turned out to be some kind of aquaponics system overseas!! (anyway I didnt at all know they did things like how I dreamed).

I dream very weird things at times too eg I had a killer living hurricane in one dream and cause it was living, it was able to interact and it spoke to me as the living hurricane..its hard to describe.. like ghost form but not that, it was hurricane but it also had eyes (not human eyes or anything else eyes but its own hurricane eyes). This hurricane was able to direct and throw lightenning bolts.. lol I havent seen anything like that in real life. Even in cartoons I cant remember ever seeing an animated hurricane.

Last night, in my dream my mind turned my loungeroom into a fish pond.. It was like the shut door sealed off the room and there was a foot of water in there and I was breeding black angel fish in there (the carpet was still there lol) and the loungechair was waterpoof and had the seat only just above the water line so one could sit there and watch the fish.

One thing I experienced one time (not throu a dream but rather then a meditation) which I certainly hadnt experienced in real life and couldnt even imagine what it would be like to experience before I experienced it.. was being in a place where nothing but all everything existed all at the same time and in every point of space. (one can only experience that to know what that is like!!). So certainly no we dont have to experience something or even have thought of something before to dream it.
Last edited by taniaaust1 on 21 Mar 2014 08:07, edited 5 times in total.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

xchcui

Postby xchcui » 21 Mar 2014 07:54

Thanks for your answers.
It is amazind what our minds can create and
Who knows what other things our mind can do,that we have not discovered yet...

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 21 Mar 2014 11:15

I'd like to bring a reminder to the table while we are having this discourse which inevitably addresses the human mind: we're only aware of a small portion of what goes on in our minds. Not every thought reaches consciousness just like not every past experience is recall (not to mention the loss of many experiential details).

So, we can"t possibly say with absolute certainty that we've never thought of something or imagined something before. Just like we can't be entirely sure that we've never seen or come across something in waking life. This recalls cases of cryptomnesia, like that of Helen Keller! Even when you think you're being original, beware...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”