So close, so far away.

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
KylePK

So close, so far away.

Postby KylePK » 17 Jan 2012 04:47

Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to this Lucid Dreaming business, although it is not entirely unfamiliar to me. Right now, I've been researching and trying things such as binaural beats for about a week. I meditate probably once a week I'd say, or at least I'm starting to recently. Sometimes more, just depends on school and such things. I'm posting here because I'd like some feedback about my experiences from those of you who are more seasoned in the art of dreaming. I will briefly (or not so briefly) describe my current situation.

I am able to ease myself into the half dream state, or hynagogic state, fairly easily with or without binaural beats, though its faster with the beats. I don't see colors so much as I just feel like I am on the fence of wakefulness and sleep, and I get dreamlets. You know, little dream clips that amount to nothing often times. I begin to feel the effects of sleep paralysis (I think) because my limbs feel heavy, sometimes a bit tingly, and often times I begin to feel like I cannot actually feel them at all. Based on my own observations, I'd say I can reach the hynagogic state no problem. The vibration state, I cannot even tell if I have reached it. Often times, after the hypnagogic state or somewhere in my WILD attempts, I get a quite large surge of "energy" that basically surges through my whole being. I often struggle keeping my breath when this happens, and sometimes get the feeling that I am hot (as opposed to cold, in my freezing room). It is hard for me to maintain this or push through it, I guess I don't even know WHAT to do with it. I can sometimes acheive this feeling simply by meditating deeply. But usually after this happens, I start to decline. I feel like I progress up to that climactic point and then nothing happens. If anyone can give me a bit of knowledge or advice on how to proceed from my current situation, that would be fantastic!
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

Peter

Re: So close, so far away.

Postby Peter » 17 Jan 2012 07:18

Sounds like you are close to a WILD just dont force anything. Its not a step by step process as much as there are things that some experiance and some dont. The goal is a LD and whatever gets you there is correct so just keep relaxing and you will pop into a dream soon
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 18 Jan 2012 01:13

It's sounds like the same problem I am having a lot of my WILD attempts. My experience has been that the point you talk about getting stuck at is the same point where you have to really let go and kind of pass through to the other side so to say. That point is very close to where the dreams start, but I always have at least a split second where I lose awareness or maybe I don't but all of sudden I am in the dream. Relaxing and letting go is the hardest part for me because I'm so excited and at least a little anxious hoping that things will work. When that happens though and I can't completely let go I end up not getting into a deep enough sleep. That's been my experience. Good luck and keep trying.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 19 Jan 2012 05:18

Yeah, you two are probably right! I just need to chill the hell out xD its just hard, cause you have to WANT to lucid dream in order to succeed, but you can't want it TOO MUCH hahahaha. Yeah, I think I just need to keep doing it maybe once a week and otherwise just make sure to remember my normal dreams and also to meditate. Cause ya, I feel like sometimes I get so close but then I tense up inside and outside a little even instead of letting myself be drawn in. Its just control. I need to control myself enough to let go of the idea of control xD. Any other advice? Have either of you guys lucid dreampt (or is it dreamed?) before?

Peter

Postby Peter » 19 Jan 2012 09:16

at the point where you say you need control it might be better to surrender to the feelings and just be drawn into action
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 19 Jan 2012 23:53

I've had maybe 20 lucid dreams so I am still fairly new at it. I agree with Peter that you have to let the dream pull you in. My successful WILDs have been when I maintain awareness and get as close as possible, then let go and get pulled into the dream. For me it's kind of like a magnetic field and once you get close enough it's pulls you right in. I am far from being satisfied with my abilities to do it and as you say, you have to make a significant amount of effort, but not too much and finding this balance is not easy. Fortunately we get lots of chances to try. Good luck, and as with all things: practice, practice, pratice...
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 20 Jan 2012 05:58

Peter wrote:at the point where you say you need control it might be better to surrender to the feelings and just be drawn into action

Allowing myself to be drawn in is hard. Hahahahaha. I am a logical sort of person and I rely on "steps" so this part of the process will be interesting for me to say the least :D

Peter

Postby Peter » 20 Jan 2012 07:41

its very hard but what you have to do - lol giving in with an assertive attuide so you are not a victim but willing to see where it goes - have fun

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 21 Jan 2012 19:13

So last night I tried listening to Binaural beats like always as I fell asleep to help me induce lucidity, and as usual, they knocked me to sleep. Cold. No dreams to recall whenever that happens. I woke up at 6 and tried them again. Same result. I woke again at 9, tried again, couldn't stay focused. So I rolled over and went to sleep in. Next thing I know, I'm dreaming and then I realize I'm dreaming! First lucid dream ever, dream induced! Though it wasn't as strong as I expected, probably because it was my first one and it was dream induced. It felt real at the time because I know I was dreaming and was controling parts of it, but I think it was still partially a normal dream cause my subconcious still controlled a big portion of what was going on. Now that I'm awake, it seems just like any other dream which puzzles me. I'm wondering if they become more real and recall more like experiences than dreams, because from what I have heard from people and read, Lucid Dreams done right are like the waking world. Like the Matrix in terms of reality. Maybe those are just WILDS. Anyway, I thought I'd let you guys know I succeeded and would still like feedback on what I have been pondering.

Return to “For Beginners”