Why our brain hate LD?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Dreamometer

Why our brain hate LD?

Postby Dreamometer » 22 Mar 2014 14:48

My last LD was few weeks ago, I woke up with sleep paralysis, and I said "great chance for LD". I imagined myself falling into a dream,the dream world start forming in front of me,I began flying and force animals to sing and dance(which was funny!).every LD I have,mirrors just pop up out of nowhere..I never looked at my self thro a mirror,it happened to me once,and it was creepy...ever sense my LD always have mirrors on unexpected locations.anyway when I woke up,I opened my eyes,I was where I went to bad,I did a reality check,I tried to make my finger go thro the bed,it worked,but when I was looking at the finger and the bed,I saw there is a hole where my finger was in,it actually fooled me!but it was smart way!

It got me thinking "why my brain is so desperately trying to make me not lucid?what do you think?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Kirito

Re: Why our brain hate LD?

Postby Kirito » 22 Mar 2014 17:39

I think that there are two options for your answer.

1) fear (in an expectation or schema)
People fear what they don't understand. It was a quote long before the bad guy in batman begins said it, and the last part is "and they hate that which they can't conquer." I don't really care about the last part, but the whole quote is interesting to me! :P

So you get in a dream for the first time. You are now an oneironaut. Exploring, not just where others have not gone, but where no one but you can ever go. You are completely alone in a world that anything is possible. Now a tiny bit of fear hits you, like it would all explorers (oneiro-dream naut-explorer astro-space naut explorer). The difference between all other explorers, is that this is the place where nightmares are made. That fear schema connects to all other things you fear and pulls one or two out for you, because your mind obeys you. Now you have somethingto be afraid of. :P

Inception problems. Yeah, we all watched that movie.:P it shows us that the dream doesn't like us to be in it, so we already have that schema or expectation as well. When you think "knowing you are in a dream" you think "subconscious doesn't want me here".

2) brain issues
So you want to have an LD. You say to yourself "I am going to have a lucid dream tonight" your mind takes that and files it away, like it does everything else. Your brain is not an entity, it serves a lot of purposes. So it doesn't really know (nor will it ever know) that you want to know that you are dreaming inside a dream. It just does what it is used to. So no matter what nonsense you are spouting before bed it just throws the sane functions at you that it has for years. Sleep - dream - awake. Tada, it has completed task, the same one it always completes, but for some reason you are thinking that it doesn't want you lucid. When I say simply, it doesn't work like that. You have always done it this way, why would it think otherwise? This is why the best way to have lucid dreams is to have had lucid dreams. I hope this makes sense. Your brain is exploring new neural pathways, how are you gonna put the idea of dreams in your dreams? Think about dreams during the day, get better recall at night. This is why everyone says the three things for noobs to start out is RCing (thinking about dreams), DJing (increase recall and think about dreams), and a consistent sleep schedule (the most important, increases recall awareness, and higher brain activity all day and night).

important to note, I do not think of expectation and schema as the same thing, but in some situations, it is debated at which is happening, so I like to note that it is too similar in these situations to say for sure one or the other.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 22 Mar 2014 17:42

Dreamometer wrote: when I woke up,I opened my eyes,I was where I went to bad,I did a reality check,I tried to make my finger go thro the bed,it worked,but when I was looking at the finger and the bed,I saw there is a hole where my finger was in,it actually fooled me!but it was smart way!

It got me thinking "why my brain is so desperately trying to make me not lucid?what do you think?

I cant see anything in what you said that which implies your brain is desperately trying to make you not lucid. Its natural to leave a hole in a bed if you could stuck your finger into it. Your brain is just creating logical images with that cause your waking mind is connecting with your subconsciousness when you became aware and they both are having imput.

You being fooled by a hole actually being left behind, was more of a case of you being naive to what happens and is normal in LD eg if you punch a mirror in a LD and it shatters, just cause glass is then left over the floor in the LD that shouldnt make one doubt that its a LD cause the mirror hasnt repaired itself (without the person willing it to repair itself). But for some reason you expected there to be no hole in the mattress. Anyway.. there is nothing at all weird with what you experienced and that's to be completely expected.. your brain isnt trying to work against you.

Fears will often be created in dreams so seeing you are scared of looking in a mirror, its not then unusual then for mirrors to come up.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 Mar 2014 19:00

Kirito wrote:This is why the best way to have lucid dreams is to have had lucid dreams. I hope this makes sense. Your brain is exploring new neural pathways

I've noticed, from my experience, that lucid dreams beget more lucid dreams.
I think brain plasticity is at work when it comes to lucid dream training, and we build and grow and learn from each experience.

One of the best ways to become a very proficient lucid dreamer: TIME, and DILIGENCE.
(The brain will naturally do the rest, reworking new neural pathways, and creating lucid-mindset habits).
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 Mar 2014 01:17

My brain loves to lucid dream. XD

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 23 Mar 2014 04:40

One with vertigo can ride a bike.

I'm trying this new poetic approach to answering posts/questions and I like it! :mrgreen:
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 Mar 2014 16:22

You rascal! :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”