Jam es' guide to your first LD!

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
James

Jam es' guide to your first LD!

Postby James » 18 Jan 2012 21:13

Now by no means am I an expert, in fact I'm quite the beginner, but I've been trying all these methods with no results, until I improvised them a bit and they worked the first night! I'm fresh from learning so I know how you all feel. Anyway, lets get started!

First off I'll explain the most likely times you'll achieve your LD. Its called REM (Rapid Eye Movement).
This comes and goes during the night but there is usually a long period of it about 6hrs after you fell asleep (may be different depending on how you sleep). Keep this in mind.

Preparation:
Get into the habit of doing reality checks. Also keep a dream journal. Record all your dreams with as much detail as you can to find patterns, say, if you dream a lot about things linking to your old school, whenever you see anything to do with it do a reality check. Throughout the day keep doing reality checks. Hopefully the habit will continue over into the dream and it will work! :)
The day I got my first ever LD I kept the topic of lucid dreaming on my mind for as long as the day I could. To help me with this I changed the lyrics of my favourite song to stuff about Ld's (eg: Are you dreaming? Do a reality check!). This worked wonders.

The night:
Your brain is not wired to be alert when your trying to go to sleep, so DON'T try to LD first thing as you go to sleep, it leads to insomnia. If you want to you can practice meditation or WILD for about 10 mins. Work out what time it will be in roughly 6hrs after you fall asleep and set an alarm for then. As you drop off, say and really convince yourself you will wake up shortly before the alarm goes off. Its a good thing learning to wake up on cue as the loudness of the alarm might disturb sleepiness and disturb your SP when turning it off (for doing WILD or DEILD). Do a method called Wake Back To Bed (WBTB). Just get up and do active things like reading or something to get your conscious brain working. This will make it easier for you to LD. after about half an hour go back to bed telling and really convincing yourself you will LD. (Tip: don't say "I won't FAIL to LD" as your mind hears fail and thinks fail = bad.) Then also think about what it feels like to be dreaming. Really focus on it. If you feel like how it feels to be dreaming then do a reality check. I think if you do that shortly before you do dream, then you will recognise the feeling from a few minutes ago and find your lucid.

If you fail:
don't give up, if its something worth it its something worth working for. Just keep at it with dedication you'll make it there in under a month, and for that you will have this amazing skill for the rest of your life!

I hope I helped. If i misspelled anything let me know and also if you find out any more information tell me too! If you get your first LD from this guide I would really like to know so please tell me! :D

Happy Dreaming! :)
Last edited by James on 26 Jan 2012 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
Was it worth it?

KylePK

Re: Jam es' guide to your first LD!

Postby KylePK » 19 Jan 2012 05:28

I shall be giving this an attempt this Friday is should think... I usually attempt a WILD right as I go to sleep on some nights, and I am aware that bed time isn't the best time to try doing a WILD but nonetheless I feel that I have gotten quite close. I will give this method a try this week, and I have no doubt it will create lucid results!! :D
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

Enter_DreamS

Postby Enter_DreamS » 19 Jan 2012 11:21

I haven't tried this method, usually I rely on DILD but it's not very effective for me, as I can never remember to recognise dream signs, or do reality checks in my dream, it's very difficult for me to achieve conciousness that way. I've been trying DILD for a while so I'll switch to this method and hopefully it'll work on Friday. It's the best time to try it since it's the weekend! Wish me luck!
It's over.

James

Postby James » 19 Jan 2012 16:24

Enter_DreamS wrote:I haven't tried this method, usually I rely on DILD but it's not very effective for me, as I can never remember to recognise dream signs, or do reality checks in my dream, it's very difficult for me to achieve conciousness that way. I've been trying DILD for a while so I'll switch to this method and hopefully it'll work on Friday. It's the best time to try it since it's the weekend! Wish me luck!

Keep at it! The more you do it the more of a habit it becomes! And good luck.
Was it worth it?

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 21 Jan 2012 19:14

Well I tried your method, but I ended up trying to sleep in at 9 am this morning out of frustration at my failure through the night, and then had a DILD. My first lucid dream xD

James

Postby James » 22 Jan 2012 13:36

KylePK wrote:Well I tried your method, but I ended up trying to sleep in at 9 am this morning out of frustration at my failure through the night, and then had a DILD. My first lucid dream xD

Well done!!!! :D
Was it worth it?

Enter_DreamS

Postby Enter_DreamS » 22 Jan 2012 14:53

Didn't work for me yet. And I can only try that on weekends.
It's over.

James

Postby James » 22 Jan 2012 15:10

Keep at it, it takes practice, but its definitely worth it!
Was it worth it?

Enter_DreamS

Postby Enter_DreamS » 22 Jan 2012 15:17

Hmm, at the moment i use 2 reality checks which are trying to push my finger through my palm, and looking at my fingers counting how many i have, i ask myself if I'm dreaming before doing both of these.

I watched inception last night, hoping it would induce me in a way but it didn't, however I like the idea of having a totem. Maybe that might help!
It's over.

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 23 Jan 2012 01:32

WILDS seem to be much harder than DILDs, because I don't think I've really gotten too close on any of my WILD attempts despite how often I try them. I ONLY tried WILD attempts and Binaural beats for the first 17 days of me trying to lucid dream, and on the 17th day, I failed my WILD attempts and randomly ended up in a DILD. Wierd. I dunno how to make the chances of WILD better.

A totem you say? Yes I have thought of this too. IF you have a tattoo, I bet it would work similarly. I was thinking of getting a tattoo near my hand for that specific purpose: I bet the tattoo wouldn't be in the dream.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”