Frustration while trying to LD

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
ecc10394

Frustration while trying to LD

Postby ecc10394 » 28 Mar 2014 20:36

Hi everyone,

So for the past 6 or 7 months, I have been practicing to lucid dream, but still havent had one. I have been writing my dream journal, I sometimes do reality checks, and I have been eating healthy, taking melatonin at night here and there, listen to binaural beats, etc.

So today I tried doing the sleep paralysis technique where you just lie in bed still to the point your body gets tricked into thinking its asleep. I was very skeptical about this technique, cause I tried in the past and ended up lying in bed still for an hour before I started going crazy from being so still.

Anyways today I was successful, however, as I was in sleep paralysis, the vibrations got more intense, it funny when I am in sleep paralysis, I hear a sort of engine type sound, so for a second I thought I was driving. But as it got stronger, before the visuals kicked in, it just faded away, even though I was calm, because it wasn't my first sleep paralysis ever. I thought I finally had it, but the sleep paralysis faded away, and then I tried again, lying still for 20 minutes, then it happened again, but verrrry slightly, and low vibrations then it faded quickly after .

What am I doing wrong, how can I stay in sleep paralysis without it fading away. Also how can I be more successful in my lucid dream journey. It has been a long time practicing every day, and I want to succeed.

Best

Eyal C

esilemc00

Re: Frustration while trying to LD

Postby esilemc00 » 28 Mar 2014 20:55

If I were you, I probably wouldn't bother trying to do sleep paralysis, try doing ALOT more reality checks. Like as many as you can. Try to constantly be thinking about lucid dreaming, and point out everything that is weird around you every hour or so, and just make a list in your head. Then ask yourself where you were 5 minutes ago, and what where you doing? Because chances are, in a dream you probably won't remember! Good luck! Hope I can help!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 Mar 2014 07:37

Tell us more about your reality checks eg what you are using for a reality check and why and how? There could be an issue with that.

Re the sleep paralyses If this is the way you are determine to go .. Im wondering what you tried to do when you got the sleep paralyses? did you just lay there and do nothing at all? or did you do something at that? If you only just layed there with it and did nothing at all, that isnt the best way to have an experience of some kind. Anyway.. give us more detail on exactly what you are doing with that too so we can better advise.

Your lack of success is probably cause you do not have a good idea of what you are doing.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

ecc10394

Postby ecc10394 » 29 Mar 2014 09:39

Honestly I feel like I have been doing many things correctly, but at the same time, your right I feel so lost, and I have been doing this for months. Reality checks are hard for me to do because when I try plugging my nose, or counting my fingers twice, or looking at a clock twice, or sticking my finger through my palm, I ask myself "Am I dreaming" and clearly I know i am not dreaming. Its hard for me to pretend that I really might actually be dreaming. And people say question your environment, see what is weird and point it out. I dont really notice anything weird, so I try lying to myself almost and looking at things and telling myself "thats weird" when in reality I dont think its weird at all.

So far sleep paralysis is the closest I have gotten to some type of visuals, a few months ago, I had a sleep paralysis and i started seeing some crazy visuals, and started floating down a big stair case in the dark, with a black spirit on top of my head, then I woke up from the excitement. 2 Nights ago, I had another sleep paralysis episode where this time I dont remember much but I was lying in bed and I was able to stick my finger half way through my palm and was so shocked that I woke up. Yesterday, and today, I had sleep paralysis starting but it faded away as soon as it started getting stronger. I think I was too awake, or since I was expecting the vibrations to get stronger, it faded. Even when I tried to relax, it just kept fading and fading till it was gone.

Sleep paralysis is very hard to induce for me. I would be laying in bed for 30 min still, and sometimes it doesnt even work, and the other times I get lucky with a small vibration. Two nights ago I got really lucky and it actually started heavy vibrations but this is not the way I wanted to induce a LD. By the way, while i am in sleep paralysis I just lie there, and let the vibrations take over me, until i start seeing some visuals.

I have had a sleep journal for months now, and my dream recall is somewhat extraordinary, some days I write over one page of dreams, the past 2 days I had no recall because I am sick and have had trouble sleeping. My ONLY problems are staying in sleep paralysis long enough to have some result, or being aware that I am in a dream. I have the most ridiculous dreams, dreams where if I was aware, I would know right away it was a dream. but that is my problem, I am not aware for the life of me, I can not tell when I am dreaming which is how you induce a lucid dream. So that is why I went a slight short cut and tried inducing LD through sleep paralysis because so far my luck has been more geared towards sleep paralysis methods.

Dreamometer

Postby Dreamometer » 29 Mar 2014 11:30

Look, if you will do RC while telling to yourself that you are not dreaming, it makes the RC pretty much pointless...I had the same problem,and untill I finally did RC in a dream, I did what I usually did, RC and were absolutely sure I'm not dreaming and the dream stayed normal...ever since every time I try to do RC, not only I do it and I telling my self "it's a dream, I know it" even if it fails I think what would I do if I was actually dreaming. Think, your judgment in a dream is very very weak, so you need to make extra efford to get over it, so if you are skeptical when you do RC right after someone said something weird, in a dream you would do the same, only it would be a pink elephant beatboxing...whenever I have SP, the best way for me to make it LD is just keep my eyes closed and imagining the dream build up in front of me, until it reaches a point when I no longer need to imagine and I just LD. I hope you will have better luck with it and I'm waiting to hear about your first LD soon :)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 29 Mar 2014 17:25

Hey ecc(lots of numbers :D )

I think you need to start feeling positive!!! Sounds like a lot is actually going RIGHT for you. You have 'extraordinary' dream recall, you have been working consistently for a some months, you have literally been standing on the bridge between wake and dream by using your last resort SP technique more then once...you have actually started a lucid dream through SP (the floating down the stairs with a spirit on your head.... lol!) and performed an RC which failed in your dream - great!! In my humble opinion you need to start seeing your progress rather then your lack of progress. It is hard when you are the one doing it, which is why it is good to be witnessed.

I have learned a lot about lucid dreaming in the last few months and I have heard that for those that are learning, if they stay dedicated, they WILL lucid dream, don't forget that you are working with a natural phenomenon. But for some it can be quicker then others. Really, a few months is not that long so you are not failing, but hopefully you can obtain some sound advice to help polish up a few techniques. It's hard for me as I have always lucid dreamed, but my NEW THING (YAAYY!!) is WBTB. I was so glad to learn this technique as now i can lucid dream whenever i use it. So perhaps try working with a form of that? When are you practicing your SP technique? (I'm not a huge fan of using it either, but it sounds like it's working for you best so far - one could also see it as a kind of meditation, I mean, when i do WBTB i just lie there and body scan before turning over to WILD and there is always a moment of SP before I enter the dream, at least it says so in the book i read, i don't always notice it, I'm still learning how all these terms differentiate) but anyways, what time of night are you practicing?

One last thing that hit me was that you wrote that practicing RC's during the day didn't really feel up to much as you would always know that you're not dreaming...I'm thinking you have a very rational dominant mind that is not allowing you to make-believe! :D I always say to people, look at the tree tops, the spaces in between the branches, the patterns they make, get lost there for a while! We have to give ourselves permission to be little children again!! Be playful! Watch fantasy films....read crazy fiction lol anything really that will stimulate your child-like curiosity. Lie on your back and make shapes out of the clouds (I never grow out of that one) Extraordinary moments happen every single day. Synchronizations. But sometimes just a feeling. When i gave my horse hay the other night, as I put it down under the stars, an owl hooted as a white cat jumped on the fence...perfect dream scene! And perfect RC moment. But I'd need to do them in the city to just to keep me sane haha! People are utterly weird, you don't need to watch them for long before they do something odd. Just like real dream characters!

I agree with everything dreamometer says re RC's. When you are deep dreaming everything seems just as rational as it does in waking life. A lot of it is just the repetition and habit of performing RC's which carry over into the dreamstate.

But most importantly...STAY POSITIVE!! KEEP BELIEVING!! (Signs off singing Journey badly off key)

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Mar 2014 10:39

ecc10394 wrote:Honestly I feel like I have been doing many things correctly, but at the same time, your right I feel so lost, and I have been doing this for months. Reality checks are hard for me to do because when I try plugging my nose, or counting my fingers twice, or looking at a clock twice, or sticking my finger through my palm, I ask myself "Am I dreaming" and clearly I know i am not dreaming. Its hard for me to pretend that I really might actually be dreaming. And people say question your environment, see what is weird and point it out. I dont really notice anything weird, so I try lying to myself almost and looking at things and telling myself "thats weird" when in reality I dont think its weird at all.

You are dismissing your reality checks as you know you you are not dreaming.. the thing is that if you are dreaming, as LDs often feel so very real, you are likely to think its just as real and go to yourself "Im not dreaming as I know this is real".. and you would be wrong.

Think about that.. you can not actually always trust that you are not dreaming without a reality check. Realise this and it could help you do those reality checks more seriously in real life and hence possibly getting it happening more in dreams too.

Nights ago, I had another sleep paralysis episode where this time I dont remember much but I was lying in bed and I was able to stick my finger half way through my palm and was so shocked that I woke up.

This shows that thinking about reality checks is carrying over into your dreams!!

So far sleep paralysis is the closest I have gotten to some type of visuals, a few months ago, I had a sleep paralysis and i started seeing some crazy visuals, and started floating down a big stair case in the dark, with a black spirit on top of my head, then I woke up from the excitement.

If you were aware you body was still in bed while this was going on.. this then would of been a LD seeing you were floating down a staircase.

I think I was too awake, or since I was expecting the vibrations to get stronger, it faded. Even when I tried to relax, it just kept fading and fading till it was gone.

See if focusing on the vibrations helps.. try to make them get stronger.

Two nights ago I got really lucky and it actually started heavy vibrations but this is not the way I wanted to induce a LD.

I personally think vibrations suck.. they make me very uncomfortable. That being said, I think you shouldnt be picky on how you are inducing a LD if you want to get there. I suggest to try to work with anything which happens and dont knock your experience.

My ONLY problems are staying in sleep paralysis long enough to have some result, or being aware that I am in a dream. I have the most ridiculous dreams, dreams where if I was aware, I would know right away it was a dream. but that is my problem, I am not aware for the life of me, I can not tell when I am dreaming which is how you induce a lucid dream.

This is all why you need to get over your issue with practicing reality checking in real life. Just keep in mind that it may well feel you arent in a dream if you are actually doing it in a dream...so stop trusting you are certainly awake till you do the reality checks.

Have you tried doing reality checks whenever you see something which often appears in your dreams and appears for you often in real life too?

So that is why I went a slight short cut and tried inducing LD through sleep paralysis because so far my luck has been more geared towards sleep paralysis methods.

There is the issue with this that you may start dreaming you are sleep paralysed and not even know it as your dream self may just keep on laying there dreaming.. laying there, laying there, waiting and waiting with nothing at all happening cause of dreaming of it. Nothing weird happening as you believe you are laying on your bed, paralysed in your own room and creating this.

What we think about when falling asleep and into a LD, can happen.. so your sleep paralyses state you think you are in may not necessarly be real but rather LD stuff.. same goes with the vibrations. It could sooner or later actually stop you from realising you are dreaming.

anyway..I hope you never manifest that situation seeing you are having your focus on sleep paralyses but it could well cause someone to actually miss LDs.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 31 Mar 2014 03:40

[quote][/quote]
But most importantly...STAY POSITIVE!! KEEP BELIEVING!! (Signs off singing Journey badly off key)
TillyPink Posts: 105Joined: 07 Nov 2013 22:57

OK her singing is not to hot :) , but her advise is. I am an old man and only started taking a real interest in dreaming two years ego. For me it was a long road to lucid dreaming. I had and have fantastic clear dreams, plus lucid dreams which I did not recognise as lucid dreams, and was only the actor, while I could have been the director as well. I also sabotaged myself by saying: I can dream the most impossible dream, but don't become lucid. I stopped doing that, and said that I will recognise dream signs. For me it was flying. While body flying it came to me that I am dreaming, and with great joy I became actor and director. I did see on the left high up a person flying and told myself, fly up to that person. Higher up we did meet, but he was on the other site of a fence, I looked at him, and saw it was a younger me. I still struggle to get lucid, but at last and least I do. ( but still only in flying dreams ) My policy is: Do it softly but keep it up. " When the Going gets Tough the Tough get Going "
Quite a few people come to our forums to demand to be told how to become lucid at once. We all had to learn how to walk. Same fast others might take a long time, but we all are able to do it.
Believe me, if I can so do you :)

Kirito

Postby Kirito » 31 Mar 2014 18:30

Not to sounds rude, but trying for a few months and doing the bare minimum RC and DJing, I don't see how that could be frustrating. Binuaral beats and supplements are pointless in my opinion. No WBTBs, mantras, visualization, meditation, positive reinforcement? And basically nothing for recall. How many dreams do you have per night (let's say 10 min plus)? In order to LD, you have to enjoy doing the things that get you lucid.

Also. SP is also another cop out of what people think is an "easy way" to LD. A straight up WILD from WBTB is easier, and it takes a lot of practice to get consistent, except a few people apparently get them really quickly and easily.

Either way, anything worth doing is worth doing right. Do consistent RCs, don't think "am I dreaming?" Think " I am dreaming!" And then imagine your RC failing and what you would do to accomplish your goal if you became Lucid right there. Close youe eyes, feel it, see it, believe it. Make your mind think that you are all the time knowing that it is a dream. Before you go to bed visualize your dreams from the night before and when you should have become lucid and what you would have done. All the time repeating your mantra. Wake up in the night 3-6 times, put a little down about your dreams and then repeat your mantra back to sleep. Put in the hours. It is worth it. RCs get easier after "that" lucid.

ecc10394

Postby ecc10394 » 31 Mar 2014 20:40

your not being rude. My problem wasn't not wanting to do reality checks. My problem was everytime I would do a RC, as much as I try to believe and trust me I have a desire to LD more than many other people. I have an actual purpose and an exact dream character I want to see and talk with. So there is nothing I want more. But my problem is everytime I do Reality Checks, somewhere deep inside my body, and mind, I know that I am actually awake, because I am just sitting down reading like I normally do, so now I need to get in the habit of trying to overcome these situations and do them. I feel that in order to do reality checks you have to believe you are actually dreaming or it just makes reality checks pointless. My problem is not believing in the "I am dreaming" aspect of the reality checks, thats all.

Today I tried WBTB for the first time. Is the WBTB method supposed to induce sleep paralysis, or is it supposed to help you lucid dreaming by making you more aware in your dream. Because today I got out of my bed, read for like 30 minutes then went back to bed, I couldn't really fall asleep because once i wake up its hard for me to fall asleep,( I was tired though becaus I woke up early) I knew I could fall asleep, but I just wasn'tbecause when I wake up, i start having all these thoughts. Anyways I was lying down, and all of a sudden sleep paralysis happened, and I was able to induce what I think was a LD from sleep paralysis. When I woke up from the supposed LD, I just didnt feel that was a real LD. During this LD, i did a reality check to see if I was dreaming, and I was able to breathe through my nose. But it didnt feel as vivid, as people say LD's are. It also didn't feel like I had as much control. I was able to have control in some aspects like I actually was flying for a small portion. But It didnt feel vivid at all, and when I woke up, I could barely remember anything, and on top of that, I wasnt able to control any dream characters, and I dont know it just didnt feel as real.

Is this what WBTB does? IS sleep paralysis induced LD's different than Dream induced ones?

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”