Can SP help people with Insomnia?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Xtreme_Walrus

Can SP help people with Insomnia?

Postby Xtreme_Walrus » 30 Mar 2014 21:38

I don't have insomnia myself, but do you think inducing sleep paralysis can help someone get to sleep? From what I know people with insomnia can be physically exhausted, but not able to sleep. What I was thinking is maybe someone with insomnia could lay still for 20-30 minutes, go into SP and then drift off to sleep.
"I woke up in between a memory and a dream" -Tom Petty

Snaggle

Re: Can SP help people with Insomnia?

Postby Snaggle » 01 Apr 2014 08:34

Xtreme_Walrus wrote:I don't have insomnia myself, but do you think inducing sleep paralysis can help someone get to sleep? From what I know people with insomnia can be physically exhausted, but not able to sleep. What I was thinking is maybe someone with insomnia could lay still for 20-30 minutes, go into SP and then drift off to sleep.

No, Xtreme_Walrus, for a number of reasons.

1) People whom experience Sp tend to be insomniacs. Most become afraid of sleep and their terror keeps them awake. Inducing SP in an insomniac who does not experience SP would make them afraid of sleep and likely make it harder to fall asleep.

2) I've induced waking REM muscle atonia trying to WILD during the daytime when I was physically tired; but not mentally tired. REM muscle atonia is what people whom think their awake during SP think they're experiencing. NOTE: though I had clearly intered RMA I had no SP and can break RMA at will. When in waking RMA I experience something like an electric pulse flowing from the base of my skull down each individual nerve effected. I don't think an insomniac could use RMA to fall fully asleep any more than I could.

3) If SP is a type of dream as I think, those experiecing SP are already asleep. It's hard to tell if one is asleep or not - an obvious example of this most lucid dreamers have experienced are False Awakenings.
Watch this Youtube video, which is very important in that it's an actual EEG recording of an SP experience and clearly shows the experiencer was asleep. It also shows they hit Delta wave sleep incredibly fast. EEG monitoring of a short nap ending with sleep paralysis
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 01 Apr 2014 10:54

No SP wouldnt help with insomina.

Actually I think it could be even likely to stop the person getting to sleep.. SP often isnt comfortable thing to be experiencing as it can leave one feeling vulerable and quite possibly it would be even stimulating on the mind having this experience. Not only that, during sleep paralyses.. people often can end up seeing things which scare them which could make it harder to sleep.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 01 Apr 2014 10:57

Meditation and relaxation techniques is what can help people who have insomina.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”