What are dreams?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Jackson

What are dreams?

Postby Jackson » 08 Apr 2014 14:35

Post any theories you have here on what you think dreams are :D

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

JonSnowLD

Re: What are dreams?

Postby JonSnowLD » 08 Apr 2014 21:09

I reckon for the most part they're probably our subconscious having a bit of fun whilst our conscious self isn't on the scene but I sort of hope there is the potential for deeper meanings than that! ;) like, the possibility that there are circumstances where they can maybe contain messages from a greater being or have mutual/astral dreams etc.
Basically I've got one foot in the scientific camp and one in the more paranormal camp!
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 09 Apr 2014 00:39

I think they exist in another dimension, namely where our conciousness resides (I don't like to involve location too much here, that's quite tricky to get one's head around!). More than that I'm hesitant to speculate, as I generally like to keep a scientific view on things and positing an extra dimension is edgy enough!
Dreaming is my drug

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 09 Apr 2014 01:44

When awake we distinguish reality from fantasy. It makes sense evolutionarily because otherwise we would react to every thought we had. If one imagines a saber-tooth tiger behind them, they will jump around to fight it. Anybody with that problem in the past didn't last long, so voila, here we are. Our brains actually prevent us from hallucinating. It allows our thoughts and imaginations to be separate from what we perceive with our senses.

When asleep, that gets turned off.

Evolution also gave us sleep paralysis, so we don't react to them, which would imply that it's actually important to hallucinate under safe conditions. Why? I don't know.

I've thought of this before. I understand the purpose of sleep to refresh the brain back to a state of chemical homeostasis. But what's the biological purpose or hallucinating? Perhaps it's just a byproduct of sleep, since the brain is still mentally active.

But for all intense and purposes there ARE two dimensions. The reality we sense, and the thought realm we have constantly overlaid on top of all we experience. It just isn't as vivid as when asleep, but we are always dreaming non-stop.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 11 Apr 2014 02:01

I think dreams are a reminder that we are awake. When we don't remember our dreams, we don't remember what it feels like to be awake. So we live life in a dream like way with the illusion that we are awake. Waking up in dreams. That's us advancing. So we go from knowing wake from dream to understanding that we can be unconscious while we are awake and unconscious while we are asleep. Thus we learn to wake up in our sleep and consequently wake up in our life. Simples. :D

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”