Can't Sleep After Waking Up

Discuss external aids which help you lucid dream including brainwave entrainment, supplements and herbs, lucid dream masks, and more.
WhyNotSmeagol

Can't Sleep After Waking Up

Postby WhyNotSmeagol » 14 Apr 2014 08:23

Maybe this topic has already been written, but I really need help. My first lucid dreams happened when I accidentally woke up in the middle of the night and then fall asleep after an hour. I know this is a well known technique, I just don't remember the name. So I tried the same method again, but this time with a timer so it could wake me up. I tried the timer technique and after I woke up in the middle of the night and set up a timer, I couldn't fall back asleep. I was awake for about 3 hours. Maybe the timers stresses me up, so I can't relax enough to sleep.
Can someone please tell how can I relax enough to fall back asleep? Should I be more tired before doing this technique? During the 1 hour (more or less) wake time what is the best thing to do and what activities should I avoid doing?

My English is not the best, I know.
Equilibrium

Highlander

Re: Can't Sleep After Waking Up

Postby Highlander » 14 Apr 2014 11:09

I guess you were thinking about the timer and you couldn't fall asleep, yes.
A question: do you accidentally wake up often or rarely?

WhyNotSmeagol

Postby WhyNotSmeagol » 14 Apr 2014 11:20

Yes, I was stressful because of the timer. I tried this technique before without the timer and I slept fine. That's why I am trying to find a way to sleep faster, relax and to get myself more tired. I rarely wake myself up in the middle of the night and if I do wake up it is just because I'm thirsty or I need to pee. Only when I had my first lucid dreams I woke myself for no reason and stayed awake for an hour (even though I wanted to sleep).
Equilibrium

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 14 Apr 2014 11:48

You should find your most comfortable position and lie there, do not move, and try not to think of something in particular. Just let your mind wander on its own. Don't think of stuff, but if stuff comes to your mind, just let it wander but not thinking about them. Even if it takes time. It's kinda like meditation.
It's what i do and it works. I have WILDs this way.

WhyNotSmeagol

Postby WhyNotSmeagol » 14 Apr 2014 13:11

TNX :D So you do this when you go back to sleep? How long do you wait till you go back to sleep and what are you doing in that time?
I just don't want to do any mistakes next time I try this technique
Equilibrium

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 14 Apr 2014 14:20

Ok, so, i wake up naturally everyday at the middle of the night, so i don't need alarm clocks. When i wake up, i do one of this 2 techniques:
B-MILD: this is the MILD technique but coordinated with breathing. I say a mantra like (breath in) "I'm dreaming..." (breath out) "... and i'm flying." for some minutes. And i fall asleep with that in mind.
Sometimes this works and i get lucid in a dream doing what i intended to do.
WILD: I lay on my 2nd most comfortable position (on my side). If i do it on my most uncomfortable position, i don't sleep. The most comfortable, i fall asleep. So, i just stay still and instead of thinking of something i try to think of nothing. I just lie there, just being aware, keeping all my thoughts off, or just let them wander my mind without actually thinking about them. This gets me the so called dreamlets or hipnagogic imagery and then the usual vibrations and, when i least expect it, i pop into a dream.
With this technique it can het you a good LD in 20 minutes or even 1 hour. Last night it took me 1 hour and it works only if i had like 7 hours of sleep. I have one all saturday mornings.

WhyNotSmeagol

Postby WhyNotSmeagol » 14 Apr 2014 15:21

Thank you for helping me and shearing your techniques :D
Equilibrium

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 14 Apr 2014 15:24

Glad to help. Then tell me if that worked for you.

WhyNotSmeagol

Postby WhyNotSmeagol » 19 Apr 2014 14:14

So I tried this week again the timer method. I got up at 3 am and was awake for only 10 minutes, then I went back to bed. I still didn't sleep for quite some time, but I was very tired and I even got a sleep paralysis without waking up (just by lying on the side). Maybe if I wouldn't move, I would astral project. I think I was really close. So after an hour I fell asleep and I had lucid dreams. The dreams were quite long and vivid, best LD so far. But I don't remember being awaken by the timer. Maybe I don't even need it for LD. Later, when I woke up I turned off the timer and went back to sleep.

Next time I will probably do the same. Get up, turn on the timer, empty my bladder and go back to sleep. I will also try the same thing, just without the timer and see if the timer is very important for me or not, because I don't remember it waking me up.
Equilibrium

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 19 Apr 2014 15:19

Cool. Glad to read your improvement.

Return to “Lucid Dream Aids”