An OBE (Out of BED Experience)

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
HAGART

An OBE (Out of BED Experience)

Postby HAGART » 13 Apr 2014 02:30

I'll share one of my dreams from a few days ago, copy pasted from my dream journal. I'm going to leave all grammar and spelling mistakes as they are, and let this be a window into the mind of "HAGART". [I added a few things in brackets to clarify things], the rest is 'as written'.

(I was as in a non-lucid dream for a while when suddenly...)
I heard some clunky boots approaching and sensed someone nearby which spooked me and I jolted awake. (or so I thought).

I laid in bed and thought to myself how it was a good think I woke up because that could have easily become sleep paralysis. I still had a slight residual sensation that a scary person was going to be leaning over me, the owner of the boots, if I had not woken up. I quickly closed my eyes and tried to sleep again.

I could still see the room through my eyelids in black and white. I was sleeping downstairs and looked out the glass door and saw some trees with no leaves, and it was quite dark. I just relaxed and awaited SP to kick in. I saw a large heater/fan just off the side of the bed, [There is no fan in real life, but didn't know it at the time], and thought maybe it would get too hot for me, but just left it on. I wasn't comfortable, so quickly adjusted my position on my pillow to not wake me up too much. I relaxed again and felt myself drop a bit, and my head got heavy and just went limp with the rest of my body. It was now resting on a side table. Then it relaxed more, dropped more, and more, till finally I fell right out of bed and stood up. I was out of my body now.

I could feel my real muscles strain as I stood up with a complete dream body. I looked at the bed, but it was empty. I thought about what I should do in this dream, and decided to simply explore and keep stabalizing the dream with hand rubbing. I went upstairs.

Mom was upstairs and I went to the front door and exposed my penis, (I was only wearing pajama bottoms and no top). [Just to get a reaction, nothing sexual]. I told mom I was going to go for a walk with my dick hanging out, and was still a little bit unsure if I was dreaming or not. I opened the door and there was a long street leading away, and it was snowy, and our house was at the dead end. I went out, and took off my pants completely and I tossed them at a naked guy, (like a that guy from the music video Hidden Cameras which is very homosexual). I thought to myself, it's strange how things pop up from micro thoughts. I then walked down the street, dusk, trees barren of leaves. After a while, without looking, I could feel my legs had pants on again.

I turned around and mom was following me, but she was a purple alien like creature who was also naked, trying to copy me. I still felt it was mom though. It moved in a strange jerky motion, and seemed a little fake. I think I told it to leave or flew away for a bit down the street to get away.

Then I saw a house and decided I was going to go inside, ask if anyone there has a problem and try to solve it. (Just realize now that I played a lot of ZELDA (snes) yesterday, first time in long time, and he helps villagers too. Perhaps it came from there). I walked right in the door, tresspassing and it was extremely real. I heard voices coming from the kitchen and one was grandma. (Like talking about that last dream of LDS and the granny online). There was another woman who is a stranger, but represents Janet [My Grandmother's best friend]. Janet was making dinner and said, she just needs to make a mayonnaise now. I know how to make it so thought I'd help. (Never dawned on me that I had LD powers and could have made it appear. I was planning to make it from scratch). I asked if I could help, but she said, no. I saw she had a large tray of carrot sticks and celery. There were about 3 others in the room now and seemed like her family, but still like friends. (Like maybe lynne and Al). I decided to leave, but the woman who's not janet said, why don't you stay for dinner. I said, "No, I'm lucid dreaming and I wouldn't last long". (Implying the dream won't allow me to relax and have dinner without it morphing).

I went back outside again, and thought of where else to go. I saw another house across the street and thought why not go in there. I felt like I could have flown anywhere, but why not stick to what I see and what's close by. The house seemed small now, and had many strange kitchen tools hanging up over the front entry, acting like those bead curtains. I just grabbed 3 in my hand and walked in, thinking let's just stick with these, I could have chosen any. The house door was very small, the size of the kitchen tools, but somehow I was indoors now.

It was dark and like a large proffesional kitchen. There was a guy there who said, they were having trouble with the "Irish Lyre". It was one of the tools I picked up. It was a knife, with a handle like a side of scissors, the blade was curved so it could rock, but in the center of the blade was a large semi-circle. He said something like, it's for those who want food (herbs) chopped but still have texture. I watched him use it, and there was another piece, like a small cork-sized, white thing with slots in it, and the knife rests in it as it chops. Almost like a half knife/ half mortar and pestle. I asked, wont it dull the kife? He said, it won't make it sharp. There was another guy there who cut him self and was in pain. I felt some pain too like small paper cuts in my right hand in the first joint of my middle fingers. I wondered if I cut myself in this dream would I get cut in real life. Then it started to fade, and I forgot that I was suppose to be stabalizing it. I woke up.

I was in the same sleeping position that I thought I was when I had the 'false sleeping' and wondered if when I got up breifly to adjust my pillow did I move at all?
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Re: An OBE (Out of BED Experience)

Postby HAGART » 13 Apr 2014 22:31

I was thinking about my dream again today and was wondering why I take my clothes off in front of my mother before leaving the house. This wasn't the first time and I did the same in the other I shared, called 'A Memorable Dream'.

It's not like I need to interpret the dream. I was there! I was lucid and made the choice!

I think it's just my way of being defiant and saying to my mother, I'm gonna do whatever the heck I want and you can't stop me. It's a great feeling! :D

The homosexual male appearing right when I took my pants off was not my choice however, and I dubbed it a subconscious 'micro-thought' which happens from time to time. It's just a fleeting image I get, like it's superimposed over the more 'solid' dream environment. If you're not paying attention, or fail to write them down, you can miss those in a lucid dream. As for why it happened, your guess is as good as mine. I'm comfortable with my sexuality and I'm not homophobic so it doesn't bother me. It's important to write every little detail of dream down even if you don't agree with it.
Last edited by HAGART on 14 Apr 2014 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 14 Apr 2014 15:00

HAGART wrote:
"I think it's just my way of being defiant and saying to my mother, I'm gonna do whatever the heck I want and you can't stop me. It's a great feeling! :D"

Yea that. :D Sorry but you know i am a bit of an interpreter, i try not to so much now but i couldn't help but note the rather obvious imagery of alienation - your mum being the little purple alien and all...you mention the word 'defiance', often being naked in dreams (and it is a common one) is an obvious metaphor for the vulnerability one feels in the dream situation. But this was a choice you made.

"The homosexual male (I just knew they were for some reason) appearing right when I took my pants off was not my choice however, and I dubbed it a subconscious 'micro-thought' which happens from time to time. It's just a fleeting image I get, like it's superimposed over the more 'solid' dream environment. If you're not paying attention, or fail to write them down, you can miss those in a lucid dream. As for why it happened, your guess is as good as mine. I'm comfortable with my sexuality and I'm not homophobic so it doesn't bother me. It's important to write every little detail of dream down even if you don't agree with it.
"

Might have been an intrusive thought within the dream? How did you feel when you saw them? How we feel about what we see is always more relevant then what we see. If you felt a bit threatened by their presence or perhaps they were designed to make you 'feel' your nakedness or perhaps guilty/vulnerable - your unconscious, like the purple alien mum, wagging it's finger at you! Not making it relevant is pretty healthy as it showed you weren't buying into it.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Apr 2014 17:08

TillyPink wrote:How did you feel when you saw them?

All I thought was, "that's weird how a fleeting image appeared of a naked, older man just now", and I walked away. It wasn't until after I awoke that I thought he reminded me of a guy from a music video I know of. (I could be wrong, but that was my first thought when I was writing the dream after the fact, so there must be a connection). The music video happens to be quite homosexual in nature, but I truly didn't feel he was gay in the dream at the time, nor do I enjoy the music for that reason. Perhaps the homosexuality of it all is a moot point, a red herring if you will. It think I misinterpreted it and put too much emphasis on that.

The Hidden Cameras: Do I belong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O-nGFCW0h8

I just realized, the title also has to do with alienation too. There's too much coincidence. Perhaps there's a lot of meaning in this dream after all. In the end of the dream it's all about cooking. I like to cook, but dropped out of culinary school years ago and still haven't gotten over it, or forgave myself for it. Why did I drop out? Because I didn't feel like I belonged. Being yelled at by Chef Ramsay (yes, culinary school is truly like that) is not my thing. I like to think and plan and create, not be a soldier in a kitchen brigade. Dropping out without forgiving myself for it has influenced many of my dreams and I must have deep guilt, and angst about it. (The 2nd kitchen was a professional one and they had chef uniforms on).

About the "Irish Lyre". I am of Irish decent (several generations ago), and a Lyre is a musical instrument. So is a Mandoline; both cooking equipment and musical instrument. And Mandolines are notorious for cutting people, which was how this dream ended. (I usually don't interpret dreams either, but I am thinking more about this one and finding uncanny connections).

I also realize I need to forgive myself, so I don't keep getting "Kitchen Nightmares". (Not this one, but I dream of culinary school and Chef Ramsay a lot in other dreams). Talking about it here may shine a light on that part of me and bring it out in the open so I can face it, and make them go away.

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 15 Apr 2014 23:05

Ha well the whole song is basically a dream and he gets torn apart at the end, before coming round and checking himself in the mirror (didn't miss that) and going off to get on with the day (feeling and looking quite torn apart). What a video! Funny and sad. And quirky. And yes, asking the question Do I Belong? So no wonder it crept into the theme of your dream.

I don't think you were exposing your penis. I think you were exposing 'yourself'.

That explains so much about your past work in the kitchens. Yes i know how harsh catering is. 'Having trouble with the Irish Lyre' Well i guess that's you? Your Irish decent from generations back, the creativity that comes with the lyre (and the Irish), the creativity that should come with cooking and is absent in the professional kitchen. Music and cooking have much in common. You can follow a recipe, like reading musical notation, or you can improvise, as with cooking (my kind of cooking lol). Both are immensely creative. Yet both also can come with a horrible regimented culture. There you were, for the right reasons, wanting to create beautiful food, then perhaps you did end up feeling like that guy looked in the music vid! Being literal, and i am a crap speller anyway...'trouble with the Irish Lyre' could also flag up that you could not be true to yourself there (but perhaps I am clutching at straws! Probably..)

I do think, if we look for meaning in dreams, everything has a multi-meaning...is multi-layered...in fact a dream is like the perfect recipe. Even though the dish may end up being a bit confusing!

I see this as a progress dream, you are working out your feelings there. And overcoming your (undeserved) feelings of guilt. How good to be lucid, in the others you've had, are you mostly deep dreaming?

(You need to know that after i read your last post, i was thinking about it while i was trying to cook. I ended up setting fire to a pan of oil, incinerating my broccoli that i was oven roasting, and my baked potatoes came out like raisins. I love irony. :lol: )

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Apr 2014 00:54

TillyPink wrote:I don't think you were exposing your penis. I think you were exposing 'yourself'.

I good Freudian way of looking at it. I revealed something I usually keep hidden. I went outside with the feeling of, "Hello, world! This is the true me! No need to hide or be secret here."

I was thinking more about this, and realized, when I'm in a vivid lucid dream, and otherworldly, I have never felt at home. I always felt like a visitor encroaching on others who have always been there. I don't blame others for believing in astral planes because it truly does feel that way. I should work on feeling more at home there.

I like the idea of coming up with an alter ego of myself like Paprika. I want to ask some dream characters next chance I get what my name should be. (Just feels more important if they name me instead of myself). I will stand up in the dream, and say, "I am _______. I can do anything, and this is my home!" (For the time being....)

Too bad about the charred broccoli and potato-raisins. :cry:

TillyPink

Postby TillyPink » 16 Apr 2014 15:51

HAGGART said "I was thinking more about this, and realized, when I'm in a vivid lucid dream, and otherworldly, I have never felt at home. I always felt like a visitor encroaching on others who have always been there. I don't blame others for believing in astral planes because it truly does feel that way. I should work on feeling more at home there.

I like the idea of coming up with an alter ego of myself like Paprika. I want to ask some dream characters next chance I get what my name should be. (Just feels more important if they name me instead of myself). I will stand up in the dream, and say, "I am _______. I can do anything, and this is my home!" (For the time being....)" /quote]

Hey yeh that's really good man. I mean it's really literally learning to feel comfortable within your own self i guess, or within your own selves (putting it in a more appropriate postmodern/post-Freudian way -or Fraud as i nick named him) and using an extremely sophisticated way to do it!! We can...because we lucid dream!

Yeh that is a great idea...I'm actually really excited about that as an experiment. Let us know how it goes!

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 21 Apr 2014 07:16

TillyPink wrote:Yeh that is a great idea...I'm actually really excited about that as an experiment. Let us know how it goes!

I got my name from a dream character this morning. I'll tell the full story some other time or in another post. I'm always surprised by the things DC's say and could never have guessed the name I was given.

I am: Distinguished we are one. 8-)

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 24 Apr 2014 22:54

HAGART wrote: I got my name from a dream character this morning. I'll tell the full story some other time or in another post. I'm always surprised by the things DC's say and could never have guessed the name I was given.

I am: Distinguished we are one. 8-)

I'd like to read what your dream character said. I'll watch out for your post.

It's made me wonder more about what my DCs would say about me. I always ask them about themselves but never ask them about me.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”